Digitally Configurable Audio Routing Patchbay (a smart patchbay!)

aarontcramer

Hello All,

I am new to posting on this forum, but have been an occasional reader for years. I recently graduated from electronics engineering school and would like to share my senior project design: The Digitally Configurable Audio Routing Patchbay (DCARP).

Abstratct:
32-input, 32-output digitally configurable patchbay designed for professional and home recording studio applications. This device allows users to uniquely route 32 channels of balanced audio inputs to any of 32 balanced outputs, assignable through a convenient 13 sensor capacitive touch-sensing keypad (no patch cables required). Additionally, users can save and recall custom patch configurations, even after power has cycled.

The audio signals remain completely analog through the routing matrix with transparent audio quality.

I have been using this device with my modest home recording setup:
- 16 channel Allen and Heath board
- 16 track M-Audio Interface with ProTools M-Powerd on Mac Pro
- Various outboard gear: UREI 546 EQ, Universal Audio 2-1176, DBX 376...

So far I'm loving it. Quick, easy routing, and no audible affect on the sound. I am interested in hearing feedback about this design. Is this something you would find useful in your studio? If yes, why? If no, why? What do you like or dislike about the interface? Do you have questions about this device?

I have more details and pictures on my website at www.aaroncramerengineering.com/Senior Project.html

Also there is a quick demonstration video on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxm61rff9MY

And pictures...
Compmlete_front.jpg

Complete_back.jpg

Complete_side_notop1.jpg

Very impressive! Here are my comments:

- Regarding the power supply, +/-12V kinda puts you in a no man's land of headroom. Most +4dBu gear is running on +/-15V and some is higher, so I imagine you'd need an input pad to compensate, the problem being you have no way to recover that on output and it would ever so slightly degrade the noise performance of the system.

- It can really only be a line-level patchbay, because the input noise will not be acceptable for a mic-level signal. But patching around mic jacks to various preamps is a very useful function of a patchbay. Probably no way to resolve that, except for my belief that all microphones should incorporate internal amplifiers to output line-level signals . . .

- How about a version that pulls power off a USB, and control from PC? That way I don't have to get out of my chair :D

Very impressive! Here are my comments:

- Regarding the power supply, +/-12V kinda puts you in a no man's land of headroom. Most +4dBu gear is running on +/-15V and some is higher, so I imagine you'd need an input pad to compensate, the problem being you have no way to recover that on output and it would ever so slightly degrade the noise performance of the system.

- It can really only be a line-level patchbay, because the input noise will not be acceptable for a mic-level signal. But patching around mic jacks to various preamps is a very useful function of a patchbay. Probably no way to resolve that, except for my belief that all microphones should incorporate internal amplifiers to output line-level signals . . .

- How about a version that pulls power off a USB, and control from PC? That way I don't have to get out of my chair :D

Thanks for the response!

I have been brainstorming how to implement USB control. I ordered a development board to start working towards that goal. If I complete that, I will never have to take my eyes off the computer monitor... :eek:

Thanks for the response!

I have been brainstorming how to implement USB control. I ordered a development board to start working towards that goal. If I complete that, I will never have to take my eyes off the computer monitor... :eek:

Just make sure all of your outboard can be controlled via USB, Firewire, or MIDI :cool:

I don't have any suggestions or useful information.

All I wanted to do is let you know that I'm impressed. :D:D:D

Back