Chopping a cheap tom-tom into a snare

SweetDan

My new project -- convert this tom to a snare drum:
cheapTom.jpg

Project specs:
- bought of craigslist for $20
- 13" diameter shell, was 10" or 11" deep? (I didn't measure it before I cut it)
- cut down to 5" using this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy1Auj_X53A
- black drum-wrap came of very easily
- shell appears to be 7-ply mahogany, though the innermost ply was lighter-colored than mahogany
- 6-hole rims
- re-using all hardware (lugs, rims) except the tom mount
- re-using the former resonant head as a batter head (Evans EC1, coated)
- bought: snare-side head (Evans 300), snare wires & straps, strainer/butt-plate, and some wood stain
- bought: a snare stand on craigslist ($40)
- total cost for the project will probably run me about $100 by the time I'm finished

I thought cutting the shell would be the most difficult part, given that I don't have a table saw. I tried using a hand-held circular saw to do it...and it's a good thing I cut 2" long of the line I actually wanted (so the snare would be 5" deep), because the hand-held line was nowhere close to straight. The hand-saw clamped to boards on the workbench worked out beautifully, though.

The hardest part may actually be motivating myself to finish the darn thing -- "finish" as in staining or painting or shellacking the shell . It's not done yet, but I'll post pics (and maybe a test recording) when the whole thing is completed.

Last edited:
Considering the INSANE prices they ask for some snares these days, I hope your repurposing project turns out well.
No reason it shouldn't, anyway.

Ponder5

UPDATES! It's finished!

@Ponder5, it may not be as cheap as I'd hoped...in the end, I would have spent less $$ and time had I just bought a used student snare on craigslist or eaby...keep reading for details. (Of course, it was a fun project to do, so perhaps that has value in and of itself.)

First, pics and sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/tapostrophemo/completed-snare (ignore the poor playing, and if the thing is out of tune, let me know; I'm not a drummer...yet)

Cuts completed and holes drilled, test assembly before I stain/finish it:
1211161329.jpg

The stain:
0104171838.jpg

Waiting for polyurethane to dry:
0106171509.jpg

The finished "instrument":
0107171302.jpg

0107171303.jpg

0107171303a.jpg

0107171312a.jpg

Next, rough total costs (USD):

Drum - $20
Hardware (snare strainer and butt, snare wires) - about $30
(and I didn't have a snare stand, got one off craigslist for $40)
Resonant head - about $15
Trying to get the right shade of stain - about $25
---
$90 (or $130 to get snare stand), which seems about what used student snares are running on craigslist these days.

Finally, the steps and time to build this thing:

1. Acquire the drum/shell, take everything apart, inspect the goods - about 2 hours
2. Carefully measure and cut the shell - about 1 hour
3. Bevel the cut edge (using the tools I had available - a rasp, files, and sandpaper) - about 1.5-2 hours
4. Order the additional hardware - 0.5 hours
5. Go to music store to buy resonant head - 1 hour
6. Carefully measure, layout and drill lug and snare hardware holes - 2 hours
7. Experiment with several different finishes on scraps leftover from #2 - about 6 hours, plus two trips to the hardware store to get different stains
8. Assemble the thing, try to tune it, and try to play it - 0.5 hour
---
So, 14-15 hours or so.

I'm pleased with how this turned out. The trickiest part was drilling the holes for the lugs/snare. I found it was helpful to put masking tape on the drill-bit entry side, and be sure to hold a block on the exit site, to minimize tearout. (There was some, of course, but luckily the lugs hide it.) The part I needed to be the most patient with was staining/finishing the shell. I tried four different combinations trying to get a sort-of sunburst effect with the mahogany on the outer layer of the shell. I ended up using an Amber and Dark Mahogany stain from Zar. The Minwax stains which I tried first didn't blend well.

Was it "worth it?" Would I recommend you go this route if you're looking for a cheap drum? Maybe. Like I said, I'm pleased with how this turned out. And I have a "new" drum. It might not have turned out so well and so (relatively) cheaply had I been in other circumstances - primarily, I've already got hand tools, a drill, and a workbench in the garage for a place to work. And a moderate amount of skill using those tools, having done a few projects around the house over the last 15-20 years of my life. If you don't already have the tools/skills/place to work, it would certainly be cheaper just to buy a drum.

Last edited:
Back