Building Midi Controllers

Noah Nelson

was thinking about building a simple midi controller for the first time, any recommendations on what i should or should not do? ex: not using specific parts??..does anyone have good links on how to as well? i was just going to search youtube...

I was just looking at this the other day. From what I could see, the MIDIBox thing seems to be the cheapest, easiest, most flexible way to go. I decided it would be easier for what I'm trying to do to buy a first generation Korg NanoKontrol for $28 and rehouse it.

I recently got a Nord C1. Great organ sounds,but that's all-no piano sounds like my Nord Electro 2.A external sound module,(JV-2080), solved that.But how to pitch bend the synth sounds since there is no PB wheel on the C1? Ebay to the rescue.Bought a PB/MOD panel from a Kawai keyboard,($20), and a used MIDI solutions Pedal controller.Remapping the pedal CC to pitch bend CC in the 2080 now lets me PB .All I need to do now is set up the panel for quick mount to the C1,so it's not so clunky.

Sorry I am a little late to response, but I will anyway so it can help others who are looking for help.

I recommend using an Arduino. There is a MIDI library, which make it extremely easy to code. Also, there are plenty of tutorials available online.

Make sure that you buffer the MIDI output with a 7417.

I strongly advice using the ATMEGA328P on its own. The Arduino board is a development board. It is a big pet peeve of mine when I see people put the entire board in their project. A $50 dev board vs $10 in parts :/

Back