Akg d112 - diy repair

duelstudios

Hello Everyone,

Today when I picked up my D112 during a recording session I noticed that something seemed to be rattling inside.
After taking the microphone apart it seems as though the Diaphragm has worked loose.
Please see the pictures provided -

D112 - 2.JPGD112 - 1.JPG

I've had this mic for 4 years and never had any trouble with it.
From what I know the mic hasn't been dropped and there aren't any marks which indicate that it has.
It seems as though there used to be glue where the diaphragm attaches, is it simply a case of gluing the diaphragm back onto its mount or is there more to it ?

Thanks !

I found this: Link which may help to work it out.

If it looks like it was glued together, try putting a little silicon on the surface and pushing it together, the silicon will hold it but you will be able to get it apart again if it's not right. I often use a smear of silicon to hold things together, a trick I learned from a plumber.

Cheers
Alan.

I've seen some mics where it appears to be good old fashioned hot glue used. Just like the stuff in the hobby and craft stores.

Does it work?
If so, yeah...seems like you just need to glue it back together.

Great idea about the silicone. That's stuff's great, as long as it's where it's meant to be. ;)

If you're really not sure or something doesn't seem right, I can take mine apart and photograph it.

Cheers people !
I've taken the mic apart and put it back together and it seems as though the diaphragm has stopped moving about,
I'll get some silicon on it anyway just to be safe though.
I tested the mic when I noticed the problem and it did work, although it didn't sound very good as the diaphragm was in the wrong place!

Back