Mixing VS Tracking....

I spend all my time mixing..its what i love to do !! i miss tracking and will find a way to do more !!!!
i just wanna be in the studio every day i can......

Mixing should take more time. If not, you need to find better musicians.

I think that works both ways....
If you have great musicians and the tracks go down well....mixing should be pretty straightforward.

As a solo musician, I'm usually doing most of my own tracking....and I find that tracking takes much more time, sometimes days, depending on the number of tracks.
Mixing on the other hand is usually a one day deal, because by the time the tracking, editing and comping is done...so is most of the mix. :)

Oh, and quite honestly, I find tracking to be the most enjoyable/rewarding part of the studio production process. Mixing is great in that you are finally putting the finishing touches on your music...but IMO, it's during the tracking that most of the magic happens, when the creative juices are flowing the most. Setting up for a track, putting up the mics, doing some practice takes and flushing out some new ideas, maybe hearing something new that you hadn't considered during pre-production....all great stuff. Usually, by the time I'm done with tracking, I have most of the song already edited, comped and mixed in my head...after that, it's just a matter of doing those things, but I do enjoy the mixing too, making it all come together.
Edit/comping on the other hand is just a necessary chore... :D ...becayse even with good tracking, things need to be cleaned up and touched up a bit before you get to the mixing.

Back