Do you mix to tape ?

Forum: Chris Lord Alge Q&A

World renowned mixer/producer Chris Lord-Alge will visit HR on March 27th to answer all your questions! Post them here, each in separate thread.
Oh really ?
No, O'Reilly !

By way of explanation, the backdrop to the question was the recent shindig in the analog forum "Does analog move more air ?". It was pretty stirring rumble that ran to more pages than probably anyone expected. It would've been interesting to hear what perspective a "world renowned" somebody would have put on tape as there are still some people dedicated to it.
Oh well.

I usta and loved it. Now I have all of these master tapes (some 35+ years old) and I don't even know if they are good anymore!

I've read through the Q&A threads. For me there were 2 bits of interest, (the EQ bit & something else that escapes me for the moment and may well not have been interesting afterall), in the comments from the guest but, generally speaking, the responses were fairly uninformative and either dewlt in the "how do I get away with a phrase rather than a sentence" type or the "neither a borrower nor a lender be" type.
That's OK though. His claim to fame is as a mixer engineer. Expertise in an area &/or fame qualify no one for communicating with fans/acolytes or those wanting to learn from them.
After all what would I ask Steve Lilywhite? What would he be prepared to offer in response?

I got the impression that CLA would make a good run for a political office. . . Nothing committal, nothing to come back and haunt you, nothing ground-breaking, very generic and un-insightful, but hey, they can't all be like Harvey. . . He may prefer to let his work speak for itself, and that's fine. . . But then, why do a Q and A?. . .

He may prefer to let his work speak for itself, and that's fine. . . But then, why do a Q and A?. . .
Well, exactly. Letting your work do the talking is an excellent way to go only if you intend to say nothing. But if you're going to do a Q&A session.......it's like agreeing to take questions on marriage and simply saying "well, it's a good thing". Technically, you may have answered the question but Q&As are not about technically answering !

The Q&A reads, in many instances, like pockets are being filled with excess fluids & those were the ones that elicited the lengthier responses.
I understand that - those who know & like his work respond like fans - a little more restrained - but like fans.
When I bumped into Declan McManus in a crowded gig in Sydney many years ago all I could manage was "praise the lord". Then again, what could/should/would I have said to a bloke walking out of the lav. on his way to the stage to do a duet, (Baby, It's You), with Nick Lowe?
Mayhap the Q&A ought to have been advertised as a massage and sneak in a Q session!
Hey, if it attracted more members to the forum, if it raised the profile of CLA and sold a couple of wave units the aim is achieved. I doubt anyone will have taken away any useful tips or handy hints.
I hope the song comp has a little more depth to it than the Q&A.
Good luck to those entering - when you make your 1st million remember I didn't do anything to help, hinder or harm.

Back