What level do you mix at ?

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
What sort of dbFS level do your mixes tend to peak at ? Do you have a preference for low level or loud mixes ? Does it make a difference and if so, what ?

I learned way too late in life that I was mixing to quietly. You really need to move some air to hear what the bottom end sounds like, and some speakers just sound better and flatter louder. When you're too quiet your mixes tend to turn out wimpy. That said, the way it usually works for me is to listen loudly (90+dB SPL) for the first half of the mix, then when the real intricate balances are happening, back it off to just above a whisper. I can really hear balances well at that level.

That's what works for me; it may be different for you. We each have to find what works for us, then stick to it.

..just above a whisper. I can really hear balances well at that level.

This. To me its quite interesting. A different set of perspectives, as one would expect, but very useful.
I've noticed many times on a car radio, with a familiar song I've heard many times, happen to be playing real low having verb details become completely audible. Hearing deep into somethings at low volume. Don't even understand actually but it addied in opening me to it as a method.

I learned way too late in life that I was mixing to quietly. You really need to move some air to hear what the bottom end sounds like, and some speakers just sound better and flatter louder. When you're too quiet your mixes tend to turn out wimpy. That said, the way it usually works for me is to listen loudly (90+dB SPL) for the first half of the mix, then when the real intricate balances are happening, back it off to just above a whisper. I can really hear balances well at that level.

That's what works for me; it may be different for you. We each have to find what works for us, then stick to it.
Your approach is interesting when compared to CLA who prefers to mix at a lower volume. I agree with your approach in that it lets me to better hear exactly what the bass freqs are.

Are you being honest when you say that you listen at 90+dB SPL? That's huge loud! Why would you listen at that ear splitting volume unless you already have some hearing loss?

IDK. I like loud as well and I don't think that I have any abnormal hearing loss even at my age.
I guess it's just the way that I've always been accustomed to the listening process of music.

Yes, I'm serious about the level. All the great engineers (and I mean A list with loads of platinum on the wall) that I've used when I produced mixed loud at least at some points during the mix. I've had one experience where it was so loud I thought I couldn't possible listen through the entire project. I learned to adjust after we compromised on the level a bit.

Again, don't misunderstand - don't turn it up so loud that it's uncomfortable; just loud enough that you can get a feel for the low end. Also don't misunderstand - you won't need to do that for the entire mix, only until you get the low end of the rhythm section together.

And yet another disclaimer: If this feels wrong to you, DON'T DO IT. Just because someone else does it likes this doesn't mean that it will work for you (and that applies to everything in audio).

IDK. I like loud as well and I don't think that I have any abnormal hearing loss even at my age.
I guess it's just the way that I've always been accustomed to the listening process of music.

Me too...though not LOUD...but loud. :)
I usually mix in the 80-85 dB SPL range C-weighted. When the mix is almost finished I'll crank it up to 95 dB SPL for awhile...then drop it down real low for awhile...then back to my standard level.

You can hear different things at different levels...but yeah, if you just crank it 8 hours straight, the frequencies tend to flat-line, and you don't hear what really there at the low and high ends...plus your ears get tired and maybe even a little damaged.

Back