Are there any of your mixes that you don't like ?

I don't think that you ever get the "perfect" mix. There's always something that you makes you go "I wish I would've (or wouldn't have) done that." That's why I rarely listen to anything after it's finished.

The worst problem is when you've missed it in terms of making the track interesting. One that isn't too bad is when you have the balance of an instrument off a little. Another bad one is when a vocal or solo is too loud or too soft. You'd think we'd be able to get all this right but remember that it's not always your decision since there's the artist/band and record label involved.

I appreciate your question, Grimtraveler, and the answer that Bobby gave. It was good to hear that a professional questions the mix after it is finished, too. As someone new to mixing, one of the first and most important lessons I've learned is how much the listening reference point affects the final mix. I've thought I've had a great mix on a song, and then found on a different sound system that a particular instrument was way too loud.

Back