The mark of an amateur

kidkage

Bored of Canada
Hi Bobby!

If you had to put your finger on just one thing,
What in your opinion is the biggest/most obvious problem with home/amateur recordings?

Thanks,
Sunny- a.k.a 'kidkage'

I'll try to find the blog post, but I posted "The 7 Signs of an Amateur Mix" on my production blog. Among the things, too much reverb, too much low end, leaving things in like count-offs, the level of the tracks are inconsistent, there's not focal point to the mix, there's not clarity and punch.

I'll try to find the blog post, but I posted "The 7 Signs of an Amateur Mix" on my production blog. Among the things, too much reverb, too much low end, leaving things in like count-offs, the level of the tracks are inconsistent, there's not focal point to the mix, there's not clarity and punch.

Geez, Bobby,

I just call all that "My Style."

7-signs-of-amateur-mix. ...3. The Mix Is noisy – Clicks, hums, extraneous noises, count-offs, and sometimes lip-smacks and breaths are all signs of an amateur mix.

Some of the best sounding albums from the 70s have some or all of these things going on. Led zeppelin albums are loaded with that sort of thing. Does that make Jimmy Page an amateur? I think it adds character to the songs unlike most modern mixes which are bland. Back In Black by AC/DC starts with the high hats counting off. So according to you Mutt Lange is a hack.

Some of the best sounding albums from the 70s have some or all of these things going on. Led zeppelin albums are loaded with that sort of thing. Does that make Jimmy Page an amateur? I think it adds character to the songs unlike most modern mixes which are bland. Back In Black by AC/DC starts with the high hats counting off. So according to you Mutt Lange is a hack.

but Mutt Lange didn't mix Back in Black:spank:.

I don't think that the point of the 7 signs is: "if it has this... it's amateur!!!"
as much as it is: "if it's amateur... it has this!!!"

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure these are the only things you CAN say about anything I've mixed. You could say I'm a Professional Amateur

Back