How can I get involved with larger studios?

RawDepth

There is a large studio in my area that does pro work. I would like to gain experience (above and beyond my home studio) by working along with some of the engineers there. My goal is to eventually become one of the house engineers that they use.

Should I just go knock on the door and offer to sweep their floors and, "oh, by the way, can I help with tracking or mixing?"

Thanks
(Sorry for coming late to the party.)

If I were looking for a job in a pro studio with little to no experience I would set a meeting up with the manager/owner/engineer and ask them about becoming an intern. Interns do not make any money, but they do gain experience. If an intern show him or herself to be valuable then emplyment could be offered.

Go in expecting nothing, but give your all just in case. The experience in itself looks good on a resume and can help you in the long run.

If all else fails offer the janitorial job up. That shows desperation and a willingness to do whatever it takes.

DOH! I didn't see this was in the Bobby Owsinski thread. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Sorry.

That's okay, dude. I posted this question to him a little late anyway. He must have left the forum already. Perhaps the moderators will move this thread to another forum so it can be kicked around by everyone.

Here - I'll give it a kick. :D

Probably the best thing you could do as far as getting behind the glass of that studio is to find out exactly how they conduct their work there.
What DAW is in use, how they go about capturing different instruments and vocals etc. - for the last thing they would want is for someone coming into their place trying to change the world that they have created.

Believe it or not, finding good help is really hard. Even though there are so many people out there wanting a gig, it's very hard to find the right person. If you show your enthusiasm to learn, be willing to show up any time you're needed, and willing to do everything asked, you're way ahead.

Should I just go knock on the door and offer to sweep their floors and, "oh, by the way, can I help with tracking or mixing?"

Yeah...just about.

Way back I wanted to spend some time in a pro studio environment, so I put together a little resume, and the fact that I was going to school for Audio/Electronic technology at the time, I offered to use that as one of my internship classes for credit, which also looked good on my request to the studios.
I got very few responses, but one studio was looking for someone...and even though I knew a decent amount about recording, it was more about being a gopher/caterer.

One day the engineer is asking me to go to the mic closet and bring him back a few of the "wire looking things, that have the rubber bands on them"...and I'm grinning at him, 'cuz he thinks I don't know what he's referring to. :D
I said to him..."You mean you want some of the shock-mounts?"
So then he grins back, and after that we were cool and I was sitting in on sessions and got to do more than just be the gopher...
..but I still went for coffee and snacks when needed. :)

Bobby came back !
What a gent.

Agreed. That was totally cool that he came back.

Thanks, Bobby. You should pop in from time to time to chat further. I'm sure everyone would love that. (I know I would. I always listen carefully when experience speaks.)

Thanks to the others too for their comments. This gives me more confidence. I do have a day job, but I may go see what I can work out with that studio.

Back