woodstock

dobro

This is really tight. Despite the shitty sound systems of the day, I mean. Good players. I love the way that drummer plays. The whole band is so working the tune.

A cool tidbit:

Corky Laing, drummer for Mountain ("Mississippi Queen") has 3 gold records for Woodstock, even though he didn't play at Woodstock. One is for Mountain playing "Mississippi Queen", which he wrote but hadn't joined the band yet.

Another gold record is for over-dubbing the drums on "10 Year After"'s set. They realized after the show that they forgot to turn the drum mics on for the set. So, Corky over-dubbed drums to their set afterwards. Now THAT's tight.

I can't remember what his third gold record is for, but I remember him saying in an interview that he has 3 gold records even though he didn't play.

Is that thing on? Is it on now? Get it going!

So tight that Fogerty gets to work the tempo when he's singing. I like Creedence more and more as I get older. I wonder if there'll ever come a time when I'm old enough.

So tight that Fogerty gets to work the tempo when he's singing. I like Creedence more and more as I get older. I wonder if there'll ever come a time when I'm old enough.

CCR's performance was great. But, Fogerty refused to let them be in the original movie because he thought their performance was sub-par, strangely enough. I love CCR.

Last edited:
I saw an interview with Santana where he said he was so high at Woodstock that he really couldn't even look down at his guitar neck because it looked like a snake.

Also pretty tight. Lovely watching Rick singing his funky ragdoll ass off.

The Band were such a fantastically tight live outfit.

I tend to take the contrasting view from you in that for me the studio recording is generally more interesting than the live one (particularly when you're watching a recording of a live performance rather than being there), but The Band are the exception. Like in the Last Waltz, they're just flawless throughout over however many hours - the guest singers come and go, but that full, rich, pitch perfect sound is a constant.

I once tuned Levon Helm's drums!!!!!! :D

We opened for his band and he had no idea how to tune drums. Neither did I, but that didn't stop me. His career took a nose-dive right after that, but I'm sure I had nothing to do with it. :eek:

It's quite fascinating seeing interviews of people that were at Woodstock and hearing their views. Few thought of it as legendary at all. Some like Pete Townshend didn't even want to play it. Chick Churchill and Leo Lyons of TYA said it was just another festival date and they moved on to the next gig. I think they were more excited to be in dreamland America, the Mecca for many English guys of that generation, than Woodstock specifically.
When you hear 45 years later of the people that didn't want to play it or weren't there like Joni Mitchell {Free, the Doors, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Procul Harum, the Byrds, Love, the Mothers of Invention, even Mind Garage !} or those like CSN or Mountain that were relatively new outfits getting road tested, it takes on a dramatic hue but it didn't feel like that in 1969........
I tend to take the contrasting view from you in that for me the studio recording is generally more interesting than the live one
I'm pretty much the same way......unless the live recording is the one I heard first. I think it's the one I've heard first and has insinuated itself into my consciousness that gets my vote.
(particularly when you're watching a recording of a live performance rather than being there)
If there's one conclusion I've come to, it's this-¬> that being at a gig is infinitely superior to watching a recording of it or even listening to a recording of it if I was there. For the very reason that you are totally in the moment. And one moment moves directly to the next without you even thinking about or being aware of it. There's no chance for analysis, repetition or hindsight. You take it purely on face value and you either dig it or you don't but you can't hate it then years later conclude that you liked it really.

Last edited:
Back