What gear do you regret not buying?

ido1957

9K Gold Member
I window shop a lot on eBay and Kijiji and every so often get a real urge to buy something and then the next day it's sold - my loss.
The last thing I was considering was a 2007 LP Custom for 2999 CDN - but I waited too long and now it's gone. I guess I can justify it by saying it was too expensive but considering the price and quality of a new one, it was a good deal that I could have probably bargained for a few hundred less (CDN too).

Any items you let slip by lately?

Hey Ido, now this is an actual interesting question. Thank you for breaking the cycle of suck around here.

My latest gear non-purchase regret is really not that big a deal, but it was a bad ass deal I should have jumped on.....A 24" Paiste RUDE Mega Power Ride. They used to go for around $440 new, and I had a chance to get one brand new for a hundred bucks. I took too long and it was gone.

So after googling I find it's not pronounced "paste" :

It's pronounced "PIESTEE" like in pie + s + tee

Haven't let anything slip by lately, but one that springs to mind is a bouzouki some years ago. I was in Crete with my wife and we happened to go past this 'shop' and there was a bouzouki in the window. Because I had made a few strides on the mandolin and love what Irish musicians had done with the bouzouki, I wanted to buy one, it was on a whim, but one I knew would serve me well for decades. But it was during the equivalent of Siesta that Cretans have and the shop was closed. And we had to leave to get back to the part of the island we were on before the shops reopened. The next day was the last day of our holiday and we had something arranged on another part of the island but I figured we could do that and then make our way to the bouzouki shop. I spent much of that night thinking about it and pick ups etc.
But we had to get so many buses to where we were going and it took so long, I read DeeDee Ramone's entire autobiography ! By the time dusk was falling we were still so far from the bouzouki place, I realized I was never going to own a genuine Greek bouzouki bought on a Greek isle. And we flew out late that night {the plane ended up being delayed for hours}.
Oh well.

Any Les Paul custom in general is the one that got away. It's the one I'd go for in music stores as a teen.

A couple of years ago when I'd finally had enough to afford one I thought I'd make my money go farther by buying other stuff. So I bought 2 Fender Mustangs, some camera equipment, and some amp stuff. I just finished selling off all of those things except for the camera (sold all the lenses though) and I regret not buying a LP instead :'(

A Fender 12string electric ({field}hockey stick head type) for $350 back in 1981. Went & visited it thrice then decided yeah, went back & it was GOOOOOOOOONE!

Haven't let anything slip by lately, but one that springs to mind is a bouzouki some years ago. I was in Crete with my wife and we happened to go past this 'shop' and there was a bouzouki in the window. Because I had made a few strides on the mandolin and love what Irish musicians had done with the bouzouki, I wanted to buy one, it was on a whim, but one I knew would serve me well for decades. But it was during the equivalent of Siesta that Cretans have and the shop was closed. And we had to leave to get back to the part of the island we were on before the shops reopened. The next day was the last day of our holiday and we had something arranged on another part of the island but I figured we could do that and then make our way to the bouzouki shop. I spent much of that night thinking about it and pick ups etc.
But we had to get so many buses to where we were going and it took so long, I read DeeDee Ramone's entire autobiography ! By the time dusk was falling we were still so far from the bouzouki place, I realized I was never going to own a genuine Greek bouzouki bought on a Greek isle. And we flew out late that night {the plane ended up being delayed for hours}.
Oh well.

I came *that* close to buying a bouzouki on Crete a couple of years ago too. My wife was good with it, I had the cash, I had the time to think about it. I passed. I decided to spend the money on plugins instead. (Got a Fabfilter bundle which I really like.) I never regretted it later. But I know if I go into another Greek instrument shop (I'm in Greece now) I'm going to go through the whole thing again.

I had a crack at a Mesa Boogie a couple of years ago that I pased up and think now I should have picked up.

I came *that* close to buying a bouzouki on Crete a couple of years ago to
I wonder if it was the same shop, the same bouzouki and if the shop people are wondering if they'll ever offload the damn bouzouki after all these years !

I live next door to some rocket launchers and live machine guns, too (high end gunshop). Used to totally weird out telemarketers when I explained why I didn't need a security system.

Most of my instruments came through taking advantage of failed "upgrades" the collegiate types attempt. They have a way of losing parts or just forgetting what they did. I've bought carcasses of decent guitars for next to nothing, and even pulled a couple off the curb. I have missed a few, though, like that Hamer Echotone Special--the fancy one, for $200.00. Wrong end of the month, lol.

I had the chance to grab an early 1900's harmonium a few years ago for very little money but I didn't have the means to transport it or a place to put the thing when I got it. (It was pretty big) It got donated to a church group eventually which was better than the 'smashed to bits for firewood' the owner talked to me about.

Back