What ever happened to ......

that's where I bought my very first guitar and amp.

uh... Woolworths, not Foot Locker. Just in case there was confusion here....like there is in the cave.

errrr... no.

errrr... yes?

On July 17, 1997, Woolworth's closed its remaining department stores in the U.S. and changed its corporate name to Venator.

In 1999, Venator moved out of the Woolworth building in New York City to offices on 34th Street. On October 20, 2001, the company changed names again; this time, it took the name of its top retail performer and became Foot Locker, Inc. Foot Locker stores chiefly sell athletic clothing and footwear.

F. W. Woolworth Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IIRC we had one in Halifax and I got a job as a "stock boy" over Christmas holidays one year when I was a young teen. It was a cool job.

Woolworth went to the same place as Montgomery Wards and the Green Stamp Centers.

(My family insisted on calling Montgomery Wards as "Monkey Wards"....)

Ben Franklin could be added to the list. It's now a line of craft stores...
My parents were Monkey Wards people, too.

Hey, I got a fuzz-wah at Monkey Wards, that if I could find it is worth some serious jack now. I've seen them go for the neighborhood of $800, just like my Univox Super Fuzz. I got my first electric guitar and amp at GC Murphy, which was pretty much like a Woolworth. Still got 'em, but the guitar is in about a hundred pieces. Not broken, just disassembled in an effort to refinish it. Never did figure out how to get that poly off. Wish I hadn't screwed with it now. Pretty sure it was a rebranded Teisco.

Err no... Woolworths went into receivership here owing billions. It is still trading but not bricks and mortar. It became an online entity not Foot Locker in other parts of the globe it is still trading on the high street. It sold many of it's tangible assets to a number of companies across the globe but not the name.. Those were sold to Shop Direct after the 2008 collapse. A good friend of mine works high up on their board to this day. Similar situations have occurred with other Woolworth holdings in other countries. That is what happened to Woolworths department stores, they still exist. If you actually read the link you posted you would have been able to work this out. What you are eluding to is what happened to one part of the Woolworth brand.

You may find this hard to believe but there is a world outside of your town that is even bigger than your country.

We used to hang out in the woolworth cafe on Princes Street Edinburgh on Saturday afternoon...young teenage mods looking for girls (seriously, a woolworths caf)...seems like it was in black and white but Im sure it was in colour.

Err no... Woolworths went into receivership here owing billions. It is still trading but not bricks and mortar. It became an online entity not Foot Locker in other parts of the globe it is still trading on the high street. It sold many of it's tangible assets to a number of companies across the globe but not the name.. Those were sold to Shop Direct after the 2008 collapse. A good friend of mine works high up on their board to this day. Similar situations have occurred with other Woolworth holdings in other countries. That is what happened to Woolworths department stores, they still exist. If you actually read the link you posted you would have been able to work this out. What you are eluding to is what happened to one part of the Woolworth brand.

You may find this hard to believe but there is a world outside of your town that is even bigger than your country.

But I don't give a shit about the small British portion of the company lol. It's an American-based company and Henry and I live in 'Murika so obviously I said what happened to it in America. :thumbs up:

But I don't give a shit about the small British portion of the company lol. It's an American-based company and Henry and I live in 'Murika so obviously I said what happened to it in America. :thumbs up:

Small British portion? Woolworths was bigger in the UK than the US...and had been since the 1920s

Dont mix facts with patriotism...even if its patriotism for an American company lol

Muttley is especially guilty of it. He's great, I really like muttley, but you wanna get him wound up? Say something about anything in jolly ol england. :laughings:

Back