Today's fun fact

1/8/14

Stephen Hawkings once tried to find potential time travelers by throwing a party and sending the invitations out after the party.

American car horns beep in the tone of F.

That's one of the notes. In the older days, they used two notes at the same time to maximize annoyance - F# and A were the most common that I can remember. As an inspector, I had to make sure horns worked, and I'd always have to specify which note I needed when ordering horn parts..

That's one of the notes. In the older days, they used two notes at the same time to maximize annoyance - F# and A were the most common that I can remember. As an inspector, I had to make sure horns worked, and I'd always have to specify which note I needed when ordering horn parts..

You're the only horn inspector I know. I just tried F# and A on the guitar. It's not very annoying. F# and A# sharp's better. But some car horns are annoying. That's cool about combining the two notes.

You're the only horn inspector I know. I just tried F# and A on the guitar. It's not very annoying. F# and A# sharp's better. But some car horns are annoying. That's cool about combining the two notes.

Blaring the horn was part of the annual vehicle safety inspection. You know, all lighting had to work, turn signals, horn, wipers, brakes had to stop the car from a certain speed in a certain distance, etc. Basically all the little things had to work. Tail light out? You fail! I was merciless. I went by the letter of the law. They always had undercover DMV agents running stings on inspectors.

Blaring the horn was part of the annual vehicle safety inspection. You know, all lighting had to work, turn signals, horn, wipers, brakes had to stop the car from a certain speed in a certain distance, etc. Basically all the little things had to work. Tail light out? You fail! I was merciless. I went by the letter of the law. They always had undercover DMV agents running stings on inspectors.

You would love the German TUV. Not only did they check for that, but they had rollers to check the brakes and measure their pressure against the tires and for even application. They would walk under the car and check for rust. If they found any and the screw driver went through it, fail. If the tires were not to the OEM specs, (speed rating and size) fail. I mean, the car had to be perfect.

But, since one could run on the Autobahn, they wanted to make sure your car was in good shape. It is actually a fine if you run out of gas on the Autobahn.

If you yell for 8 years, 7 months, 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

If you yell for 8 years, 7 months, 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

How hot and how cold was the coffee when you started, Room temp, 0 C, does the coffee go to boiling? Come on man, answers!:cursing:

You would love the German TUV. Not only did they check for that, but they had rollers to check the brakes and measure their pressure against the tires and for even application. They would walk under the car and check for rust. If they found any and the screw driver went through it, fail. If the tires were not to the OEM specs, (speed rating and size) fail. I mean, the car had to be perfect.

But, since one could run on the Autobahn, they wanted to make sure your car was in good shape. It is actually a fine if you run out of gas on the Autobahn.

We had to inspect tires too, for tread depth and even wear. Rust wasn't part of the criteria though. If that were the case every car up north would fail.

I got bribed a lot. People would say stuff like "The insurance card is in the ash tray and a little something for you". There'd be like a $20 bill in the ash tray. Then I'd fail them for a bulb being out and say they could just fix the problem for like 8 bucks.

Back