RIP my doggie

not really, they charged me when I went to get her, it was all I could find, although I did drag them behind my jeep to the crackhead owners house and dump them on his porch. like I said I have a very big issue with that breed. oh yeah he filed trespassing charges on me, judge horse laughed his lawyer in court. sorry, I could write a book on how I feel about this.

Sorry man I feel for you. :( Losing a furry family member is always terrible. From the pic it looks like your dog lived a nice happy life, and really that's all we can do for them man. Just remember all the good times you had and all the happiness you brought to each others' lives.

Sorry man I feel for you. :( Losing a furry family member is always terrible. From the pic it looks like your dog lived a nice happy life, and really that's all we can do for them man. Just remember all the good times you had and all the happiness you brought to each others' lives.

Amen, Look back and smile

shelter/rescue dogs are great. It's almost cliche to say, but they do seem to forever appreciate you saving and taking them in.

mjb, what was you dog's name, brother?

shelter/rescue dogs are great. It's almost cliche to say, but they do seem to forever appreciate you saving and taking them in.

mjb, what was you dog's name, brother?

her name is Camille, much better than the ex wife, never complains when I want to go riding plus she has no thumbs so she cant use the remote.:rolleyes:

We adopted Kira from the Northeast Animal Shelter (Salem, MA) the weekend after my (now) wife moved down from Ottawa, 14 years ago this July. She came to the shelter through the Save-A-Sato group - her original Puerto Rico foster family-given name was 'Negrita' but she didn't respond to that. Vets estimated she was about 3 when we got her - had 2 litters, with only one live pup from the last one.
Her hips had started giving her problems 2 years ago, we gave her cosequin every day, and she had a few shots to help, but it was degenerative so not much could be done. I built a 16' ramp out our front door last July so she could still get outside without being carried. Meant a lot more snow removal for me this past winter, but it was worth it for her. We stopped carrying her upstairs for bedtime about a month ago because we were afraid she would try going downstairs on her own and fall. She really went downhill fast the last few weeks, she went from being able to slowly walk around the block to not even wanting to go out of the yard. Then the last week she could only move by hopping on her front legs and pulling her back legs along. She had gone completely deaf and had cataracts, too.
Hard decision to make, and we almost put it off again, but it wasn't fair to her either, because she was in pain, just didn't complain about it much.
We decided not to get another dog - although my wife is now questioning that decision - because we won't get another dog as good as her (traveling, being alone during the day, etc etc) and frankly I don't want to go through the heartache again.
We just had to put our older cat to sleep 6 weeks ago, and a rabbit last September, just one cat left right now.

Our dog passed on about 4 yrs ago and I still can't bring myself to replacing her. The wife and I are starting to talk about it, though.

We adopted Kira from the Northeast Animal Shelter (Salem, MA) the weekend after my (now) wife moved down from Ottawa, 14 years ago this July. She came to the shelter through the Save-A-Sato group - her original Puerto Rico foster family-given name was 'Negrita' but she didn't respond to that. Vets estimated she was about 3 when we got her - had 2 litters, with only one live pup from the last one.
Her hips had started giving her problems 2 years ago, we gave her cosequin every day, and she had a few shots to help, but it was degenerative so not much could be done. I built a 16' ramp out our front door last July so she could still get outside without being carried. Meant a lot more snow removal for me this past winter, but it was worth it for her. We stopped carrying her upstairs for bedtime about a month ago because we were afraid she would try going downstairs on her own and fall. She really went downhill fast the last few weeks, she went from being able to slowly walk around the block to not even wanting to go out of the yard. Then the last week she could only move by hopping on her front legs and pulling her back legs along. She had gone completely deaf and had cataracts, too.
Hard decision to make, and we almost put it off again, but it wasn't fair to her either, because she was in pain, just didn't complain about it much.
We decided not to get another dog - although my wife is now questioning that decision - because we won't get another dog as good as her (traveling, being alone during the day, etc etc) and frankly I don't want to go through the heartache again.
We just had to put our older cat to sleep 6 weeks ago, and a rabbit last September, just one cat left right now.

fully understand not getting another dog, I said the same thing. but once I saw Camille (my current), she melted my heart. she was a puppy mill bitch and spent all her time in a crate, she was badly beaten and abused. She could not stand up straight and did not know how to walk steps. it took me 6 months to get her to come up to me. if she was out in the yard and it thundered she would wedge herself under the deck, I had to remove a couple of boards to get her out, left those loose for 2 years. That was 5 years ago, she is a lot better although she still jumps at every loud noise.

It took me a good year and a half after my sweet Molly (short-legged beagle) passed away before I even started to think about getting another. Needed the time for healing I guess. Just take things slow man :)

Damn Mike, I'm sorry to hear this. Dogs are awesome. I have seven of em now (I know....don't ask :rolleyes: )
Over the years tho, we've had several of them either die unexpectedly or we've had to put down due to age.
And I wish I could tell you it gets easier but it doesn't. I pretty much cry like a little kid every damn time.
But most of our dogs are rescue dogs and to see them change, like a light starts to shine in their eyes again, helps us to get out of the funk and make a difference to another one.

I heard a story once about a little kid, going down the beach and this beach was almost littered with starfish that had washed up. So the kid is going along tossing em back in the ocean.
An old man sees this and asks the kid, "What difference is it gonna make? There's thousands of them"

The little kid looks at the man then looks at the starfish in his hand and says "all the difference in the world to this one"

So in a way, that's kinda what we do with dogs, I guess.
Not sure I would recommend 7 of them tho.

all our dogs would have been dead shortly after the time we rescued them had we not taken them in. That really helps a lot because they get 10 years or so of living in doggie paradise.

Damn Mike, I'm sorry to hear this. Dogs are awesome. I have seven of em now (I know....don't ask :rolleyes: )
Over the years tho, we've had several of them either die unexpectedly or we've had to put down due to age.
And I wish I could tell you it gets easier but it doesn't. I pretty much cry like a little kid every damn time.
But most of our dogs are rescue dogs and to see them change, like a light starts to shine in their eyes again, helps us to get out of the funk and make a difference to another one.

I heard a story once about a little kid, going down the beach and this beach was almost littered with starfish that had washed up. So the kid is going along tossing em back in the ocean.
An old man sees this and asks the kid, "What difference is it gonna make? There's thousands of them"

The little kid looks at the man then looks at the starfish in his hand and says "all the difference in the world to this one"

So in a way, that's kinda what we do with dogs, I guess.
Not sure I would recommend 7 of them tho.

spot on about the change, they seem to come to life again as the trust rebuilds

Our "Kotie-man", his legs and ballance are going, we've had to place safety gates so he can't go up or down the stairs. It's a bummer at night because he has always slept in his bed in our bedroom, but no longer. He'll sometimes make it up stairs when the kids move the gate, but then luckily is scared to come down on his own. That's when old Kotie-man gets to take a magic carpet ride down the stairs on a throw rug. Oddly enough, I think he enjoys it.

The last one we lost was only 2 yrs old, kidney failure. It was a different kind of hurt, so young, unfair. You'd at least like to be able to get some comfort and say your little friend had a good run, lived a long and happy life. The wife and I agreed we would wait a while before even thinking about getting another dog. But, Kotie had always had a side kick, I could tell he would get lonely. I visited the shelters several times trying to find a good match. It was tough passing by so many, although so many were pitbulls, too many. Aint no damn way, a pitbull. My wife and granddaughter went out one Saturday and fell in love with a little Chihuahua mix. I can't imagine why anyone would have given her up...maybe foreclosure, a death in the family, something tragic. That little boney legged critter, Chloe, she is possibly the sweetest dog we've ever had, and is great with all of the kids. There are a lot of them out there that just need a chance. I'm happy she got the good home with us that she deserved. She pays it back in spades.

RIP, Kira, old girl.

Last edited:
Last we went through this.. After enough time my wife rescued our current dog, then a while later rescued a cat.
After enough time that is :)

Yeah man, my friend's dog Baxter was abused real bad for the first 6-7 years of his life. They took him in and he was super scared of everyone and every thing. I stayed with them for 4 days one time and just before I left he finally let me pet him. Anyway, after a five years with them he got better and better and then one day they took him to the dog park and he was finally able to play with the other dogs. He was running with the stick. They all wanted the stick, every dog in the park was chasing him, but he wouldn't let them have it! He was the king of the stick game and he knew it. For us that kind of marked a big milestone. Awesome stuff. Baxter passed away last year and we were all sad, but not too too sad because I think he finally got the owners he deserved and he was a happy dog in the end.

My dog 'Roadie' (Springer Spaniel) was seen by my wife's ex husband being let out of a car in the country then the car sped off. He grabbed him. Chemical burns on his back (no hair) and totally malnourished. He was still sweet as hell. We took him in.

1st vet thought he was a few years old because of his nasty teeth. Ended up he was closer to 2.5 years old and just looked horrible because he was abused. He regrew his hair and is in perfect health now.

At first the sight of any human under 3' tall caused him to hide anywhere he could. I can only assume that kids tortured him. 4 years later, he sleeps next to my 18 month old daughter and plays catch with her. Well, he is better at it than she is. :)

I will feel like I have lost a child when he passes....

Back