Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: monterey pop festival

dobro is offline bowties

monterey pop festival

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've been watching Monterey Pop festival stuff, and it's been shocking. The best performances were Butterfield, Bloomfield and Hendrix. The others were stuff I was raised on, but it turns out that they were less. WTF? They got me here. How can that be?

It freaks me out more how 'dobro' really spells 'Sir Lord Tutankhamun and His Band of Merry Minks'. Pure satan right there. fat fleet

dobro is offline bowties
    It freaks me out more how 'dobro' really spells 'Sir Lord Tutankhamun and His Band of Merry Minks'. Pure satan right there. fat fleet

dobro is offline bowties
    Thank you very much for Bob Dylan's grandmother.

Don't get mad.

Last edited by dobro; 3 Days Ago at 22:37.

Mick Doobie is offline Resist we much
    less what?

raised on but less good, sucked live?

Lt. Bob is offline Spread the Daf!
    It was kinda hard back then to do big live outdoors shows .... the PA's sucked and the monitors were really pretty poor back then. Anyone with much vocals mostly couldn't hear themselves.
    If you know the secret codes you can get by the mastering boss on level 8.

DM60 is offline Going no where fast
    Based on my limited knowledge of stadium equipment, it really wasn't until the early 70's that the equipment for the large shows really matured and was good enough to work with outdoor concerts. If you look back, 74ish was when you started seeing those large outdoor concerts across the globe. Before that, as LTB stated, and from what I read, the equipment rather sucked. That was , from what I recall, was a reason the Beetles wouldn't tour.
    David
    Ableton Live 9, Win7, Reaper, Presonus USB, M-Audio 192 SoundCloud: DM60

jeap is offline Force of Nature
    hendrix was really on for that show

the film is astounding and the live album of the performance shines
    ultra-cool brigade

Lt. Bob is offline Spread the Daf!
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    Based on my limited knowledge of stadium equipment, it really wasn't until the early 70's that the equipment for the large shows really matured and was good enough to work with outdoor concerts. If you look back, 74ish was when you started seeing those large outdoor concerts across the globe. Before that, as LTB stated, and from what I read, the equipment rather sucked. That was , from what I recall, was a reason the Beetles wouldn't tour.
    yep .... they couldn't hear themselves.
    I started gigging fulltime in 1969 and even till the mid 70s you had fairly bigname bands that used PA columns for their PAs. The Shure Vocalmaster was frequently used and it was a POS compared to even the most basic modern PAs. A pair of Behringer actives would be FAR superior.
    The Vocalmaster had 100 watts RMS and two columns with 2x12s, 2x10s and I think a few 8's. I saw more than one concert where they just had 4 of the heads and 8 of the columns ..... just total crap.
    I'm sure they used something more for Monterrey but whatever they had wouldn't have been very good.
    If you know the secret codes you can get by the mastering boss on level 8.

dobro is offline bowties
    Well, that would explain it then. Back in the day, I really liked the music made by a lot of the performers that played Monterey. But a lot of them put in a pretty bad performance I thought when I watched it the last two evenings. Not tight, not tuned, not very good. I was a huge fan of the Byrds and Quicksilver back then, but they just seemed sorta raw and unpolished in the video. The Butterfield band came across as tight and pro by contrast. So I get that sound systems and monitoring sucked back then, but Butterfield and Bloomfield seemed to be able to handle it okay. That's cuz they were better musicians, right? And if you compare David Crosby's paranoid rant to the audience about Kennedy to Hendrix's lead-up to 'sacrificing' his guitar, Hendrix comes across as cool and David comes across as somebody who would have done way better to keep his mouth shut. Way different levels of maturity of performance, I think.

DM60 is offline Going no where fast
    I think you have to look at the style of music. Some bands (not a CSNY fan) but CSNY really have to hear each other to get it right. Hendrix, he heard everything even when he couldn't hear. Plus he was so loose when playing, the band probably watched more than they listened.

Take a band like Yes, I could see without good monitors, they probably wouldn't do so well live. But I do think they can play.
    David
    Ableton Live 9, Win7, Reaper, Presonus USB, M-Audio 192 SoundCloud: DM60

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information