I bought a warranty on my Ford Escape

I've got a 2008 Nissan Frontier, all sorts of sensor problems under warranty the first 3 years. Since then, just routine oil changes, front brakes and tires until a month ago - timing chain was ready to go (per the head mechanic), rear axle seal, plus rear brakes... set me back $2500 @ 128000 miles - at least I finished making payments on it right before that happened.

My wife's 2001 Corolla with 110000 miles on it is still chugging along with no issues for some time. Her first car, so its beat to sh!t and dented all over the place ...

I've got a 2008 Nissan Frontier, all sorts of sensor problems under warranty the first 3 years. Since then, just routine oil changes, front brakes and tires until a month ago - timing chain was ready to go (per the head mechanic), rear axle seal, plus rear brakes... set me back $2500 @ 128000 miles - at least I finished making payments on it right before that happened.

My wife's 2001 Corolla with 110000 miles on it is still chugging along with no issues for some time. Her first car, so its beat to sh!t and dented all over the place ...

What made him think the timing chain was "ready to go"?

My wife's car is a 2010 escape. Other than a recall of some sort (don't recall what it was), we haven't had a problem with it.

I used to drive fords almost exclusively, mainly because they were the last to go with the 'wrap around, cockpit style' interiors that I don't fit in. (without a telescoping steering wheel)

once they went to that and I stopped needing minivans, I couldn't drive them anymore.

I despise all of the modern bullshit they put in/on vehicles...check engine lights, sensors out the ass, electric this and that. There's talk that rearview mirrors are going to be replaced with cameras as standard equipment....just something else to break :cursing:.

I just recently lost my '84 Ford Ranger, hauling shit going down the interstate at over 75 mph out in the middle of bumfuck, smack in the middle 'bout 60 miles from home/destination. I had that truck for about 25 years, very few problems, although I did get an engine rebuild on a swap/barter deal done about 10 years ago. I thought that truck would never die(I was wrong). She was a tough old girl, you could bang on that thing with a baseball bat, and the bat would break before you could cause a nary a dent(well, perhaps a bit of an overstatement). I had someone come pick my brokedown ass up, then made a call to someone to just go get it and I'd mail the title. She was just too old and there were too many possible big money possibilities to repair, it would have cost a penny just to tow back home so I could take a look as well....I'd more than got my money's worth out of the vehicle.

My main vehicle is a '96 Chevy Suburban, 92,000 miles on 'er and well cared for. So far so good, except it burns a ton of gas. It's a beast, 7.5 L.

The wife's Camry is very reliable, haven't had many problems at all with it, just normal maintenance(other than elec window motors, sensors and shit :mad:).

The Econoline costs me money from time to time, new engine and all the accoutrements set me back right around 4 grand.

I'd like to find a good deal on an older 4WD Ranger. I like old trucks with character(wife says "character" is just another word for piece of shit :o ). I almost bought one of these last year, but it had a bit more rust than I wanted to deal with....'76 F-100...plus the wife said it would look like a car lot around here and i'd had to get rid of something else if I purchased it...

047-1.jpg

That's cool redneck truck.

I had an 84 GMC 1/2 ton stepside for a while. I built up a 4-bolt main 355 for it and it was my destroy-the-beach truck. It was only 2 wheel drive, but I had 31" mud tires on it anyway like real retard. That truck made approx 500hp at the flywheel and I could not keep the tires from breaking loose. It was just about impossible to drive it in the rain. But it was a beast on the sand. So much fun. I had saltwater come up inside the cab and it never quit on me. I sold it about 10 years ago. I miss it sometimes.

My "beater" is an 81 GMC Grand Sierra K2500 flatbed. Took the 350 to the shop and had them make it into a 383 with a lot of breathing and gas stuffing on top, Hooker shortys and custom 3" pipes going out.
It's sweet to drive, but hell at the pumps. Dual 22s and 7.5 MPG. (got 14 driving it out here from Idaho.)

The sound from the guides. OEM manual recommends replacement at 120K miles (I remember my old Pathfinder wiht the V6 had it done, too).

Ah okay. That makes sense. I only asked because changing a timing chain just for "maintenance" is usually kind of a scam. Timing belts, sure. Chains, not usually.

Update - so they couldn;t find a leak in the coolant after pressure testing. The did find a PVC hose disconnected which I had to pay for them to diagnose and reconnect (that caused the check engine light). They also found an o-ring on the trany dip tube was faulty so they replaced that under warranty. To them it looked like an oil change issue from the dealer who changed oil before they sold me the car. So after all was said and done they didn't have to tear apart the engine and I was out 400 bucks. Not going to bother going after the dealer - even though I probablly should I'm not going to blow a gasket to get my money.

Update - so they couldn;t find a leak in the coolant after pressure testing. The did find a PVC hose disconnected which I had to pay for them to diagnose and reconnect (that caused the check engine light). They also found an o-ring on the trany dip tube was faulty so they replaced that under warranty. To them it looked like an oil change issue from the dealer who changed oil before they sold me the car. So after all was said and done they didn't have to tear apart the engine and I was out 400 bucks. Not going to bother going after the dealer - even though I probablly should I'm not going to blow a gasket to get my money.

While I don't like throwing money around, $400 is about what they charge just to pull the car in. I know I've never gotten out of a repair shop for less than 300. Glad it worked out for you.

yeah they have little charges for eveything.... $100 of it was deductible for the warranty. The rest was hooking it up to the computer, diagnosing the codes, reattaching the PVC thing, "shop supplies" ( I love that one).

yeah they have little charges for eveything.... $100 of it was deductible for the warranty. The rest was hooking it up to the computer, diagnosing the codes, reattaching the PVC thing, "shop supplies" ( I love that one).

Paying for the guy to be able to wash his hands, that is what that means.

I just bought a nissan xterra 4x4 for going "off road" in Targets car park!

I remember Nissan used to advertise the Xterra as coming with tools and an off-road survival kit or something for the adventurous types that buy those things.

It has a giant first aid kit stuffed in the rear door...i cut my thumb opening a bag of Herrs Jalepeno Popper flavoured cheese curls...I coulda bled out. God bless nissan.

Ah, forgot you had that...was out of my price range, nice motor though. At least the wife didnt make me buy a people carrier!

Back