I bought a warranty on my Ford Escape

ido1957

9K Gold Member
And I'm glad I did. Leaking coolant discovered this weekend. Check Engine Light on. 2010 Escape. Free towing to the dealer and hopefully it all gets fixed with just a 100 deductible.

It's sad how the American car companies will never not make a piece of shit car. And Ford, the only company to not take a fucking bailout, still pumping out crap.

My dad has a 2012 Mustang GT. It needs serious A/C work.

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Still rings true.

Update - the wife brought it in (should have known better).... They never even looked at the coolant bucket leak. They apparently found some oil leak on the top of the engine and are doing a teardown to find the issue. So I phoned the service dept and they had no record of the coolant leak issue %^&#$ so I told him to look into it. The check engine light was a disconnected PVC tube of sme kind - wonder what that means..... I may have bought a lemon. Luckily the warranty is covering all this crap. I may sell just before the warranty expires. No vehicle for 5-8 days %^$&&#.

Update - the wife brought it in (should have known better).... They never even looked at the coolant bucket leak. They apparently found some oil leak on the top of the engine and are doing a teardown to find the issue. So I phoned the service dept and they had no record of the coolant leak issue %^&#$ so I told him to look into it. The check engine light was a disconnected PVC tube of sme kind - wonder what that means..... I may have bought a lemon. Luckily the warranty is covering all this crap. I may sell just before the warranty expires. No vehicle for 5-8 days %^$&&#.

Sounds like the mechanics are the issue. Pulled PVC hose, that would have showed up pretty quick. Coolant leak, sounds like a hose that might not have been put on correctly. Has anyone touched the car since it was purchased? I have a 2002 Cougar and other than a starter, I have had no issues at all.

I have had very good experience with Ford products. But I also make sure I do the work myself or the shop I take it to is good.

A disconnected PCV tube is a big vacuum leak, and that will definitely kick the check engine light on.

I have a friend who is always proud of being a ford man. I tell him, "It's good you own Fords. Mechanics need work, too!"
Seriously, when I worked as a tech in Eastern Washington 70-80% of our work was Fords...

Update - they did a pressure test on the coolant - no leak....hmmm... So they cleaned the engine (they said lots of oil was on it) and put a dye in the oil. Gave us the vehicle and told us to drive it for 100 KMs or more to see where the leak is originating and bring it back next Monday. The dealer who sold it to us also mentioned they had shampooed the engine and so it looks like the dealer knew of some issue with leaking oil. Since when do you shampoo an engine that is three years old???? Thank god again that I have an extended warranty as this looks like a big problem. I'm just hoping they can fix this thing. I usually have no problems buying used vehicles from dealers (this is my third). And my 3 Fords have been not bad but not without issues.

Update - they did a pressure test on the coolant - no leak....hmmm... So they cleaned the engine (they said lots of oil was on it) and put a dye in the oil. Gave us the vehicle and told us to drive it for 100 KMs or more to see where the leak is originating and bring it back next Monday. The dealer who sold it to us also mentioned they had shampooed the engine and so it looks like the dealer knew of some issue with leaking oil. Since when do you shampoo an engine that is three years old???? Thank god again that I have an extended warranty as this looks like a big problem. I'm just hoping they can fix this thing. I usually have no problems buying used vehicles from dealers (this is my third). And my 3 Fords have been not bad but not without issues.

They wash the engine to give the oil leak a clean slate. It's hard to tell where a leak originates with old gunked up oil still all over the place. Pretty common procedure when trying to chase down a leak.

I've done the wash engine/dye in the oil routine many times. It works....if the mechanics are competent.

Did you buy this new or are you the second or + owner.

I bought an 07 Caliber (Dodge) brand new in 07. The only problems it's had were a recall to fix a sensor. Some brake sensor that caused the engine to run sluggish (???), and the gas cap wore out and made the engine light come on.
We just redid the brakes and rear bearings @ 85000 miles and the total bill was $490. I still hate the drive by wire pedal vs a gas pedal. Always a delay between when you press it and when the engine actually responds. Cheap built, but dependable.

I've got a Nissan, two Toyotas, and a Chevy S-10. All 2000s models.

The Nissan and Toyotas have never had anything done besides routine maintenance.

The Chevy S-10 has had an engine, 3 clutches, and countless general A/C, mechanical, and electrical repairs. Thankfully I can do all of this stuff myself. I think at this point I've turned every nut and bolt on that truck.

I have a 2000 Corolla that is about as junky as a car can be, drinks oil (2 quarts per 1000 miles or less and not leaking), interior is coming a part. I think I have purchased my last Toyota. The Nissan and the Ford, just a couple of years newer, no issues.

I feel about Toyotas the way some of you guys feel about Fords.

I used to love working on Toyotas. They have problems just like anything else, but they're engineered very well in that they're logically assembled and easy to work on. But since they were "foreign cars" they also paid very well. Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas...all pleasures to work on. That stupid old redneck shadetree complaint "you can't even work on these dang ol jap cars!" is a lie. They're easy as shit to work on.

European cars....those are the bitches that are hard to work on.

I used to love working on Toyotas. They have problems just like anything else, but they're engineered very well in that they're logically assembled and easy to work on. But since they were "foreign cars" they also paid very well. Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas...all pleasures to work on. That stupid old redneck shadetree complaint "you can't even work on these dang ol jap cars!" is a lie. They're easy as shit to work on.

European cars....those are the bitches that are hard to work on.

The German cars are pretty bad, but the Italian cars are about as bad as it can get. On a Fiat I owned, just to change the brakes, you had to have a special tool. And those cars required much maintenance (read, they broke a lot).

The German cars are pretty bad, but the Italian cars are about as bad as it can get. On a Fiat I owned, just to change the brakes, you had to have a special tool. And those cars required much maintenance (read, they broke a lot).

Yeah Fiats are crap. Lots of cars require specialized tools. I have "Ford sockets", "Jeep sockets", custom made hand bent wrenches just to do one thing on one car...it's crazy.

I remember some of the 80s Jaguars had their rear brakes mounted to the differential instead of being outboard at the wheel. That was about as stupid as it gets.

Yeah Fiats are crap. Lots of cars require specialized tools. I have "Ford sockets", "Jeep sockets", custom made hand bent wrenches just to do one thing on one car...it's crazy.

I remember some of the 80s Jaguars had their rear brakes mounted to the differential instead of being outboard at the wheel. That was about as stupid as it gets.

I think Ford purchased Jaguar in the late 80's/early 90's, now they are Tata. That might one of many reasons Jag was struggling :)

I think Ford purchased Jaguar in the late 80's/early 90's, now they are Tata. That might one of many reasons Jag was struggling :)

Jags were pieces of shit way before Ford bought them.

I used to have a 1979 Jag XJ6. It was a beautiful car, but a real hunk o' junk.....until I put a Chevy 350/Turbo350 engine/tranny in it. It still had it's many electrical bugs, but it ran good. I wish I still had that car. Knowing what I know now about building drag engines, it would be the fastest street Jag on the planet.

Back