Page 22 of 100 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread: Good films?

SteveM is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Yeha, that was a funny...
    "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance."

buzzard bass is offline Terminated
    Thanks
    Verra good, I soiled my Depends.
    There's somethin' out there waitin' for us, and it aint no man. We're all gonna die.

kcearl is offline I see deaf people
    Thanks
    where did you learn train old man? from inventing them?

lol

Treeline is offline Three Thousand and Counting
    Thanks
    I just watched a flick that came out a couple of years ago; a Tim Burton movie called 9. Pretty good flick; great animation. It was based on a master's thesis a guy did that was a short flick about 11 minutes long - fabulous. You can get it at netflix.

Other movies I remember as being very, very well done, if chilling - What Dreams may Come with Robin Williams in a not -funny role. Another film I remember, which is more chilling than Hitchcock - is The Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jude Law. That is a wicked psychological thriller. Don't bother watching it if you're homophobic though; leave it to the grownups.

WhiteStrat is offline Don't stare at the eye.
    Thanks
    What Dreams May Come...that was a good one. Total stream of consciousness here, but that reminds (for some reason) of Eternal Spotless of the Spotless Mind. Maybe I just saw 'em around the same time, but I loved that one too.

heatmiser is offline mr. green christmas
    Thanks
    Office Space is a pretty freakin' funny movie...

I'm always up for a new film and this thread has given me some ideas. Seems like there are too many comic book adaptions and digital cartoons about talking animals the last 5-10 years or so. It gets old.

Huge Kurosawa fan here. Someone mentioned him earlier - can't recommend his stuff enough - Ran, The Seven Samurai, etc.. Also Miyasaki - Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, etc.

kcearl is offline I see deaf people
    Thanks
    Ran is one of my all time favourites...before the world of CGI they actually used thousand of extras....great film

heatmiser is offline mr. green christmas
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
    Ran is one of my all time favourites...before the world of CGI they actually used thousand of extras....great film
    Yes indeed, the pure scope of those battles is amazing. Kurosawa has a great minimalist sense of composition. I have mixed feelings on CGI...at the time, Jurassic Park really blew us away, but bad CGI is the worst. Give me a guy in a rubber monster suit any day...or stop motion...

Another great director is Werner Hertzog...his stuff with Klaus Kinski is intense. I particularly like Fitzcaraldo and Aguirre, Wrath of God. They used to show that stuff on IFC all the time...not so much now.

robgreen is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Office Space is a pretty freakin' funny movie...

I'm always up for a new film and this thread has given me some ideas. Seems like there are too many comic book adaptions and digital cartoons about talking animals the last 5-10 years or so. It gets old.

Huge Kurosawa fan here. Someone mentioned him earlier - can't recommend his stuff enough - Ran, The Seven Samurai, etc.. Also Miyasaki - Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, etc.
    Looks like we got similar taste in films as well as music Heatmiser - love both Office Space and the Miyasaki films. Spirited Away etc are just great for complete escapism.

Last film I watched was Infernal Affairs - I knew the Departed was based on it, but didn't realise the extent to which the film was simply lifted from Hong Kong and dropped wholesale in America. Probably just about enough difference visually to warrant the remake.

feartoxin is offline Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeline View Post
    I just watched a flick that came out a couple of years ago; a Tim Burton movie called 9. Pretty good flick; great animation. It was based on a master's thesis a guy did that was a short flick about 11 minutes long - fabulous. You can get it at netflix.
    Someone metioned that earlier in the thread. It's excellent. Very different to the usual animations, a bit darker, and scarier for the kids. Timur Bekmembatov, who made the Night Watch movies, was the executive producer on it, and anything he touches seems to turn to gold IMO.

Page 22 of 100 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread Information