Do you listen to your music ?

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
Other than the obvious times of tracking, mixing etc, do you listen to the music you make or have been part of ? Does it or has it ever formed part of your regular listening ?
And can you listen to it uncritically ?

Usually I'm pretty burnt out on projects I work on by the time their done, but I enjoy going back after a while to objectively listen to a finished tune or two.

Interesting question.
I, and the writer I work with, go through phases. We can't stop listening when we've just finished something. There's this pride and novelty value that could last a week, a month...maybe longer.

Usually I get burned out and forget about the session for a while and then get a second fresh view of it maybe six months later.
I'm currently really enjoying the album that we put out last July but before that I hadn't really listened to it much since late last August.

I've taken it as a solid sign that my stuff is getting better, because records made 6-8 years ago just make me cringe now.
With recent-ish records I am aware of things that I could have done better or different, but there's nothing there that'll make me cringe.

Interestingly, my renewed interest in the latest album was actually because I heard some tracks on radio a few times! :)
Still can't get played in your neck of the woods though. :( It's NI only for now...

PS. I actually listened to, and really enjoyed, our last Christmas single yesterday! Your timing is good. ;)

yeah ..... I can listen to my stuff and enjoy it ....... but I DO all my recording for me ....... I record stuff just to see what an idea would sound like. I don't care about anyone liking it nor do I even play much of it for anyone but me. You very rarely see me post anything in the MP3 clinic for instance.

It's hard not to burn something out during tracking/mixing/mastering. I gotta put it away for a while before I can bring it back out. Generally, the longer I go without listening, the more I enjoy it.

But yes, I listen to my creations a lot. It's part of the fun.

This is a hard question. I write musicals and, while I'm working on one, I constantly listen to the music I've written for it so as to stay consistent (or, at least, compatible) in style, re-use motifs, etc. Once the show is done, though, I really don't listen to it again on a regular basis.

Are you kidding? I'm one of very few people in the world who makes music that I can stand to listen to. I made it cause nobody else would. I do sometimes burn out for a while after a major project, but when I come back to it a few months later I'm generally blown away. In fact, I just recovered a recording that I made almost 20 years ago. Haven't heard it since, don't even recall how or when or what I did, but I was just amazed at how well it turned out.

I guess I am like the others. After recording and finishing, it has to be put away for awhile. When I bring it back out, yes I like to listen to it cause it is music I like to hear. I wasn't until Ashcat pointed it out in his post, this is the kind of music I like.

I'll listen to em much much later. After the burnout has worn off. But as far as putting them in rotation with my commercial CD's....

nope. :)

I can't NOT be critical.

Oh yeah, regular rotation. In fact, all of the music on my phone is my own or that of friends and family. Well, there's a little bit of Beefhart... Any time I'm driving around, plowing my driveway, or mowing my lawn I'm listening to myself and people I know.

Are you kidding? I'm one of very few people in the world who makes music that I can stand to listen to. I made it cause nobody else would. I do sometimes burn out for a while after a major project, but when I come back to it a few months later I'm generally blown away. In fact, I just recovered a recording that I made almost 20 years ago. Haven't heard it since, don't even recall how or when or what I did, but I was just amazed at how well it turned out.

Oh yeah, regular rotation. In fact, all of the music on my phone is my own or that of friends and family. Well, there's a little bit of Beefhart... Any time I'm driving around, plowing my driveway, or mowing my lawn I'm listening to myself and people I know.

:laughings:

If Im drunk I listen to my own stuff...but mostly no

I like listening to old tracks, especially one where I sing...none of it makes me cringe, though a couple make me laugh ;)

Around 90% of the music I listen to is stuff I've recorded of my own, or of other people. I hardly listen to material recorded elsewhere, except maybe for reference purposes.

Sometimes I unearth old material and wonder what on earth I was thinking when I recorded that. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised as a piece stands the test of time.

New material usually gets a hammering till I tire of it (usually when newer stuff comes along).

I usually only like to listen to my own recordings after a fair amount of time has past. My methods of writing/recording (generally a simultaneous process) is so tedious, step driven and boring that by the time I finish a song, I'm absolutely sick of it.
Only after the passage of time can I really appreciate the genius that is beez.

I usually only like to listen to my own recordings after a fair amount of time has past.

Yeah....by the time I'm done with a song....I'm done with it! :D

Maybe after months and months of not listening to it, I might kick back and then just *listen*....instead of listening from the "production" mode.

I always have a laugh when I am driving along listening to the radio and a song comes on that I am sure I remember from somewhere, and then it hits me, I played on that song!

Alan.

Back