Bringing dead string back to life.

I thought this was interesting......Slap the shit out them - It actually works! :laughings:

It actually does. I saw this video a few months ago and have been doing it ever since, whenever I'm about to record. Just make sure you do it BEFORE tuning up, because you'll have to tune up again after. :)

If bass strings weren't so ridiculously expensive, there would be no need for this, but it does work.

Ok, so am I the only person who prefers the sound of them 'before'? :laughings:

To me the 'dead' strings sound much warmer and more natural. Probably doesn't help that he plays some nasty funk/slap bass to showcase the 'after'...

.... and it's easier than boiling your bass guitar and/or putting it in the freezer... :D

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Ok, so am I the only person who prefers the sound of them 'before'? :laughings:

To me the 'dead' strings sound much warmer and more natural. Probably doesn't help that he plays some nasty funk/slap bass to showcase the 'after'...

+1

Just buy some new ones you cheapskates.

Alan.

I'm gonna have to side with this.

I am guilty of boiling strings myself to save money when it was an issue however.

Gonna snap some strings and slap some stuff now just to see if this works. I'm gonna bet it is not going to work as well as the video shows. The oils from fingers do not just 'snap' away.

I know this has prolly never been tried on humans but I miss my mum...so I might dig her up, give her a good slapping, and see if she'll make me her mac n cheese!

Ill post the results...

I know this has prolly never been tried on humans but I miss my mum...so I might dig her up, give her a good slapping, and see if she'll make me her mac n cheese!

Ill post the results...

I believe you will. But will yer mum's bass strings sound better or worse despite the mac and cheese? I don't know her well enough to ask.

I'm gonna have to side with this.

I am guilty of boiling strings myself to save money when it was an issue however.

Gonna snap some strings and slap some stuff now just to see if this works. I'm gonna bet it is not going to work as well as the video shows. The oils from fingers do not just 'snap' away.

I tried it. It worked for about one song and they went dull again. The oils and skin gunk are only part of what deadens strings. All the little dents in the winding from banging against the frets does it too. You can't snap those away.

I slapped the shit outta a dead hooker once. Didn't make fuck all difference. I'm sticking with the talc from here on...:mad:

Back