Anybody here do any trading?

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
I'm making a brokerage account right now. :)

Richmont mines looks like it's benefiting from this short rise in gold. Too bad making my account takes too damn long! I might be too late for that game.

I leave it to the bank/life insurance co that holds my RRSP's. I choose medium risk declining as retirement approaches.

I paper traded commodities and realized that was a big boys game. Went to start trading stock, read a book by Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor, realized you need lots of tools and research decided index funds were the way to go for the long run.

Yeah, I'm just getting my feet wet with stocks right now. I might put some money in a penny stock or two. Those are a gamble (less so with adequate research) but really worth it when you come out.

I tried it several years ago. I didn't have a lot of money invested though... $10,000. Compaq was the #1 pc company and dell was on the rise. I was going to put the entire 10 grand in dell and apple. Some friends warned me "NOOOO!!, you need to diversify and apple is an overpriced loser!"
So at their direction I spread my small investment out among 10 companies. 9 were loses and in the year I played around with it I almost tripled my money on the Dell stock. Oh and apple did ok too.
So, instead of making $20,000 I made $500. I also would track these companies on my computer and would buy and sell them based on the days acrivity.
So, the bottom line is that my cpa charged me $600 to do my taxes instead of $200 because in his words (all that Ameritrade daily buying and selling is like putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle"

So, I ended up making a whopping $100
LOL

I tried it several years ago. I didn't have a lot of money invested though... $10,000. Compaq was the #1 pc company and dell was on the rise. I was going to put the entire 10 grand in dell and apple. Some friends warned me "NOOOO!!, you need to diversify and apple is an overpriced loser!"
So at their direction I spread my small investment out among 10 companies. 9 were loses and in the year I played around with it I almost tripled my money on the Dell stock. Oh and apple did ok too.
So, instead of making $20,000 I made $500. I also would track these companies on my computer and would buy and sell them based on the days acrivity.
So, the bottom line is that my cpa charged me $600 to do my taxes instead of $200 because in his words (all that Ameritrade daily buying and selling is like putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle"

So, I ended up making a whopping $100
LOL

So let me get this right.

You cleared $500

paid a $600 charge..

and were left with $100...

:confused:

---------- Update ----------

You are either not very good or very very good...

I might be interested in trading a really nice rugar 45acp automatic pistol for some music recording equipment. It looks brand new and hasn't had a lot of rounds fired through it. I have other pistols but I don't have a nice set of monitors or enough nice microphones. Also, I would like a nice mic pre.

I paper traded commodities and realized that was a big boys game. Went to start trading stock, read a book by Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor, realized you need lots of tools and research decided index funds were the way to go for the long run.

There's a whole world of difference between paper trading and actually putting your own money down.

I recently sold a bunch of financial stocks which had done well, including the company I work for in particular, now I'm hanging onto a few others and just sitting on the sidelines mainly, watching. Typically I wouldn't throw less than $5K at an individual stock, or more than $10K... not much point getting killer returns on a $1000 investment.

I tend to buy stocks which have reasonable dividend payments, so if I get the overall direction wrong, there's still some cash coming in which gives me time to play a longer game, so to speak, so while it'd be nice if everything I picked went up, it never actually works that way, but I don't freak out when reasonable backtracking occurs, if at heart it's a good company.

There's a whole world of difference between paper trading and actually putting your own money down.

I recently sold a bunch of financial stocks which had done well, including the company I work for in particular, now I'm hanging onto a few others and just sitting on the sidelines mainly, watching. Typically I wouldn't throw less than $5K at an individual stock, or more than $10K... not much point getting killer returns on a $1000 investment.

I tend to buy stocks which have reasonable dividend payments, so if I get the overall direction wrong, there's still some cash coming in which gives me time to play a longer game, so to speak, so while it'd be nice if everything I picked went up, it never actually works that way, but I don't freak out when reasonable backtracking occurs, if at heart it's a good company.

Good philosophies.

Too late to buy RIC for me. That was evidently very short term. For medium/long term, I'm looking at Facebook. A lot of people think that's a horrible idea as it would just "go the way of MySpace," but people who say that probably know nothing about Facebook and what they're doing. Facebook is just gathering more and more users and some young users are going over to Instragram... which Facebook owns. As the penny stock I was talking about, I'm looking at MYEC. I'm wary of penny stock, as so many are garbage, but MYEC looks like it's a good company and isn't only a pump-and-dump. And they've historically come out of these lows right now. I'm probably getting WAY into this for a music forum :D

In trading commodities, because you can loos a lot of money fast. If you've never done it, you really can't understand how much you can gain/lose in just a one penny change.

Before trading commodities, you should paper trade to understand the contracts, what each price move means for that commodity, puts and calls, trigger points to buy/sell. Commodity trading makes day trading look like a bunch of Little League players.

If you don't paper trade, you are going to get a very expensive lesson.

Back