I've done messed up my DAW....S1-4

andrushkiwt

New HP laptop, no issues with 16 track songs, CPU usage was always around 20%. For some reason, I clicked on a button that said "enable multi-processing" in my Studio One audio setup page, since then it simply won't play without constant clicks. You cannot even hear music, it's all distortion. Now, that button/tab regarding "enable multi-processing" simply isn't there anymore. It's gone. I've spent the last hour finding where exactly it is supposed to be and mine is no longer there.

Does anyone know how I can get this function back? I've included a screenshot of where it's supposed to be that I found on a YouTube video and another of what mine looks like, with the missing function. Perhaps it has something to do with the buffer/sample rate I've set? Anything I change those settings to, though, just makes it continuously glitch out the audio. It's nothing but constant glitching and hissing, no music at all.

I don't know why I hit that button to begin with, but lesson learned. Would appreciate any help restoring my audio device settings.
Screenshot (5).pngScreenshot (6).png

Also, clicking the separate "processing" tab to the R of "audio device" does not help, it is not there either.

Looks like the Multi-Processing option has been removed as it was turned over to the automated Dropout Protection. Maybe it scrambled some of your settings when you tried switching to it - resetting itself to whatever default it has. Maybe increasing your block size might help.

Looks like the Multi-Processing option has been removed as it was turned over to the automated Dropout Protection. Maybe it scrambled some of your settings when you tried switching to it - resetting itself to whatever default it has. Maybe increasing your block size might help.

Most songs are now around 75% CPU, before they were 20ish%. One song specifically is constant 100%. I mean, I just mixed it yesterday no problems, not even a hiccup and now it's completely inaudible just noise and scratching sounds. It did show a Waves reverb was 100+ usage in perf meter, but even disabling and removing that reverb does not help, nothing changes, it stays 100% maxed out for that song. Mnan idk wtf i did here.

also, the performance meter shows "cache activity" as near maxed out... 1 .02GB used out of 1.10GB total. I'm not a computer guy so I don't know what that implies, but other songs are fractions of that, like 50mb out of 800MB

What do you think about reinstalling Studio One and letting it reconfigure to your connected devices? I'm shooting in the dark. . .

What do you think about reinstalling Studio One and letting it reconfigure to your connected devices? I'm shooting in the dark. . .
Yes I want to do that. And the audio interface too (coincidentally I bought a new Motu 6 input that'll be here Wednesday), but I'm concerned about losing my saved song projects. I'm unsure how to safely keep those songs so that everything (plugins, wavs, instruments) properly load into the new installation

I'll assume all of your saved songs and settings are in a computer folder, isolated from the actual S1 software. They should contain the data to point the new installation where it needs to retrieve your song projects' plugins and instruments?

Have you double checked your Audio Setup settings to see if they're the same as before the incident? The Sample settings are different in your screens above.

I'll assume all of your saved songs and settings are in a computer folder, isolated from the actual S1 software. They should contain the data to point the new installation where it needs to retrieve your song projects' plugins and instruments?

Have you double checked your Audio Setup settings to see if they're the same as before the incident? The Sample settings are different in your screens above.
My thoughts as well. Dump all the music files off onto a USB drive (everyone here should have several for backup)

Then I would first try "restoring" (NOT "recovering") the computer to a time prior to the finger trouble. However your system might not have turned on Restore and have no dates. In that case go to 'Uninstall a Program' and you might find a "repair" option that will set it back to 'factory gate state'. In extremis, uninstall and re-install.

N.B. Win 10 makes it a bit hard to find "Restore" and I have no idea about Win 11.

Dave.

I tried to do a full uninstall followed by a reinstall. I found the folder with the save files before that. However, I have moved my DAW around so much between discs and drives that after I uninstalled the first time, I tried a shortcut on the desktop to see what would happen and it loaded anyways... it must have been pulling from a separate drive where it was also loaded. I deleted that one too. I deleted the interface and its drivers.

Then I reinstalled the DAW and the audio interface. My preference for storage location of songs was remembered somehow, so it knew where to look for the saved song projets, I have no idea how since I completely removed the DAW, or so I thought. The songs loaded up and had the same problems, but the interface default buffer/sample were reset to default.

That one song still maxes out at 100% while idling and not playing. Playing it causes complete distortion. What I then did was copy and paste the wavs onto a new song track. It took about an hour but I reinserted every plugin and FX chain and have basically an identical copy of the old song. It is topping out around 85% full. Again, to be clear, I mixed it this morning and it was around 25% max, and I've been working on it bit by bit for a year without any issues.

Here's something interesting... if I disable any Waves plugin in the session (reverb, tape delay, etc), it will decrease CPU usage on the new file of the old song by about 15%. Host plugins barely affect the CPU usage when disabled, but Waves plugs are having a dramatic effect on CPU. I did not have this problem before I got all into the cores/buffer/sample stuff yesterday. It's almost as if Waves plugs are expecting different settings than what is applied currently, but again I'm not a computer guy so I'm not sure. But I don't remember Waves plugs having such a dramatic effect on the CPU usage prior.

The old songs are still doing the same thing, Waves reverb really killing it too. Turning it off decreases CPU usage around 20%. THere is only 1 instance of reverb running, though about 4 buses going to it. This is after a full reinstall, by the way. I'm going to be super upset if these are corrupted... this is a massive 12 song project I've been working on for over a year with potential radio play again. I don't even know what to do at this point.

Something else I've noticed... exporting songs from the session into mp3 form takes roughly 3x as long. It used to avg about 1:30 and now almost 4min.

Now that sounds like it's just plain full of data. Noise, music, plugins. . Maybe a plugin is stuck and/or corrupted.

Probably not feasible, I'd want to try the project in a different computer with it's own completely separate version of S1 known to be working - no plugins.

Now that sounds like it's just plain full of data. Noise, music, plugins. . Maybe a plugin is stuck and/or corrupted.

Probably not feasible, I'd want to try the project in a different computer with it's own completely separate version of S1 known to be working - no plugins.
I know, but I just used it yesterday and even recorded on those song files. There's no way I could have recorded with high CPU usage, I can't even literally listen to it now, let alone record new material over it. There are no plugins showing more than 30% CPU on the DAW interal performance meter. Even the biggest offender, Waves Reverb Plate, says only 30% usage but it contributes to around 20% of the total CPU usage which is maxed at 100%. Turning Waves plugins off one by one definitely helps A LOT, but again I don't understand what could have happened in 1 days time other than I turned off needed cores and now those same plugins are running with major usage issues. That's my thought process... I can't believe there isn't a single article or video talking about how to get that core function back, it's like it should just be there and if it doesn't show that means you disabled it in the BIOS or something, and that isn't anything I mess around in so I wouldn't have done that. I'm really clueless how to get that back.

Last edited:
Yeah. Something in your switching enable multi-processing changed a setting somewhere. I find it hard to believe it would scramble everything as it switched itself over.

Try adjusting your latency to a larger block size. See if that takes the load off your CPU.

Aside from the title, this seems to be concerned with the same area of difficulty :

https://answers.presonus.com/49752/studio-professional-making-noise-every-seconds-when-playback
Thanks Spantini. Yes, I tried every combination of settings in that section. Nothing changed. It was always maxed 100% in the internal DAW usage meter.

Thanks again, I went through that article a few times so far today :) I'm really trying everything I can find and think of over here. Appreciate you man, thanks so much. Wish I had a way to record video and post it, going through all my settings and the session etc...

New HP laptop, no issues with 16 track songs, CPU usage was always around 20%. For some reason, I clicked on a button that said "enable multi-processing" in my Studio One audio setup page, since then it simply won't play without constant clicks. You cannot even hear music, it's all distortion. Now, that button/tab regarding "enable multi-processing" simply isn't there anymore. It's gone. I've spent the last hour finding where exactly it is supposed to be and mine is no longer there.

Does anyone know how I can get this function back? I've included a screenshot of where it's supposed to be that I found on a YouTube video and another of what mine looks like, with the missing function. Perhaps it has something to do with the buffer/sample rate I've set? Anything I change those settings to, though, just makes it continuously glitch out the audio. It's nothing but constant glitching and hissing, no music at all.

I don't know why I hit that button to begin with, but lesson learned. Would appreciate any help restoring my audio device settings.
View attachment 128181View attachment 128184
It seems to me that you Disabled Multi Processing not enabled it - as for it being gone - sounds like you have a corrupted file - restoring your computer to the time just before you pressed the button is the best option - installing the Program and reinstalling it is another option - but you have to contract Presonus to tell you how to get rid of everything Studio One placed on your hardddrive.

Also from Presonus:
The multiprocessing and CPU cores parameters in Preferences/Audio Setup have been removed because Studio One now manages all multi-core and multi-processing related functions as part of Dropout Protection. For Dropout Protection to work, the application needs full control over these parameters. The upside of this is: there are less functions to deal with when setting up an audio device while Studio One dynamically optimizes CPU efficiency for low latency monitoring and plug-in processing.

It was probably in an update - but didn't write it till you clicked on it - either way it sounds like a corrupted file to me.

Back