Your most embarrassing moments on stage?

dogooder

C'mon, you can do it, don't be shy.
I was playing a party one time with a pretty large crowd on a hot summer day. I was good friends with the host. He thought it might be fun to pull my shorts down
during a tune. He snuck up behind me and did just that but to his and my chagrin, I was wearing a bathing suit and had nothing on underneath. As we all know, the show
must go on so I didn't bother to pull them up until the song was over. That was one of a few different cases for me.

I was playing in a bar one night when a drunk dude jumped up on stage and took over my mic and started singing jibberish and jumping around. We kept playing and a bouncer finally had to grab the guy and drag him off stage. Actually... I think this ma happen to everyone that plays in bars at some point. Besides that just the usual forgetting lyrics or playing in the wrong key. Boring stuff compared to your story. I don't think I could continue if my junk was exposed to the crowd so kudos to you!

As the guy always working the other end of the mic, getting any attention at all was outside the norm. I had just transitioned to a digital console and had a gig with an unfamiliar artist named Vance Gilbert. Vance has a huge voice and can fill a big room without a PA. I call him the Jeckel and Hyde performer, because with an audience he wasn't the same guy that showed up during sound check. First song and I'm into digital clipping and quickly put on a pair of headphones and start to dial it back. Vance hears the changes and leans in even heavier because he can no longer reference his dynamics. Then he just stops and calls me out. Suddenly I am the center of attention, which is no place I want to be with an audience. We do a quick update to monitor mix and I am then told to step away from the console and do something else for the evening.

:-)

Many years ago - my band was playing a showcase gig with other bands playing before and after us. We only had three songs to play - the first being an up-tempo song that uses a lot of open strings (happened to be "Porch" by Pearl Jam). I had somehow forgotten to check to see that I was in the right tuning ahead of the gig and I was playing a guitar with a floating bridge - in fact I was a half step off (either sharp or flat - can't remember which and it doesn't matter). It was brutal. I tried to adjust and it just did not go well. My mates were pissed. I was rattled. This guy who was dating our bass player's mom during those years was there that night to see us which made it even more painful. I had to walk over to his table when we were through. After introductions he looked at me and said something like "Rough night, huh?":facepalm:

:-)

Many years ago - my band was playing a showcase gig with other bands playing before and after us. We only had three songs to play - the first being an up-tempo song that uses a lot of open strings (happened to be "Porch" by Pearl Jam). I had somehow forgotten to check to see that I was in the right tuning ahead of the gig and I was playing a guitar with a floating bridge - in fact I was a half step off (either sharp or flat - can't remember which and it doesn't matter). It was brutal. I tried to adjust and it just did not go well. My mates were pissed. I was rattled. This guy who was dating our bass player's mom during those years was there that night to see us which made it even more painful. I had to walk over to his table when we were through. After introductions he looked at me and said something like "Rough night, huh?":facepalm:
"This Guy"

Oh dear... :ROFLMAO:

Maybe 10 years ago or more I was playing with my band with 100 or so in the audience. I'm the rhythm guitar player.
About 2/3 of the way through a song and everyone was groovin'.
Well... I decide to blow the G string on my PRS 305. This completely threw the whole guitar out of tune because of the trem bridge. UGH!
I stood there with the most stupid look on my face for what seemed to be an eternity, but was probably more like 15 seconds.
That's when I realized I had a perfectly in tune spare on the wall behind me, YAY!
But it had no strap... BOO!!!
Thank god the band kept playing as I fiddled, cussed, and farted around getting the strap off the 305 and onto the spare...
FINALLY got back into the tune and finished it. For some idiot/inexplicable reason the crowd LOVED it! WTF?
Too funny, and I'll never forget it... or a strap for my spare! :cautious::ROFLMAO:

Playing a big band gig at a big city festival (I play bass). Had my charts out of order and started playing the wrong tune. Tune started with bass and drums and one horn playing an intro, so I left that poor trombone player sounding like the idiot playing in a different key.

Another time I was playing a high end restaurant (jazz trio + singer) and some guy grabs the mic and drunkenly starts calling to his buddies like “hey you mother f’s” etc. Management understood it wasn’t really our fault but we got some serious scowls from the old money crowd.m

Younger days playing a rocking bar. Crowd dancing. I had to stop mid set to take a wicked piss.

This wasn't embarrassing for me but a good story none the less. My wife was an expert seamstress and I was playing in fairly popular band in the area. She made shirts (blouses) for all of us. One night during the first set the lead singers shirt being a bit tight ripped at the underarm. We come off stage and he says he has to change. My wife says no, go back up for the next set and I will rip it off you it will be cool. So she does. A few weeks later at work the new guy found out I played with that band and says to me, I saw you guys, you're pretty good. I asked where he saw us, he told me where, I told him we play there often did he remember what night it was? He says to me yea, the night I saw you guys some sleazy blonde ripped the shirt off the lead singer! I started laughing and he says whats so funny and I say, Walter, that sleazy blonde is my wife. He starts apologizing saying, but, but, Jerry you know I call em all sleazy. I told him don't sweat it, I like sleazy girls.
Now for the embarrassing one with the same band. We would do a five song doors medley, snippets of four then finish with the full version of Touch Me. Just at the end of the intro before the band stops and the vocals come in, I being a gymnast thought it might be cool to jump in the air and do a scissors with the legs. Well, I came down just as the band stopped, landing on my cord that was a bit taut and ripped it out of end. Instead of silence before the vocal, the jacks end still being in the amp and now shorted, all you heard was a really loud buzz. The whole band looks at me, the lead singer decides to just belt out c'mon c'mon c'mon now touch me, I turn and slam the off switch, the band takes off with the song and I have to run off stage and retrieve another cord. That band was a lot of fun. We had a really good sax player and whenever either one of us made a mistake we would kick the other in the ass. You had to be careful, you could come home from the gig with a sore ass!

Last edited:
I was on break, sitting side stage watching the young folks dance.
A farmer, in overalls, jumped on stage and grabbed a mic.
he started yelling into it. no sound - right? we're on break.
So me, jumps on stage.
farmer drops the mic and swings at me - as he is jumping off the stage.
me, being obsessive-compulsive - i'm putting the mic back on the stand, with every intention of going after this sod buster.
then from my left comes a guy in the band, who happens to be a police officer.
he gets the farmer around the neck and starts bashing his head into one of the floor monitors.
i see security making a hole in the crowd and they get this guy and hoist him out the front.
few minutes later i go out front and farmer is in cuffs and - yeah - this guy would of kicked my ass, and hard.
r&r right?

I played one show as bassist for a gospel band. We rehearsed a couple times, but I was willfully ill prepared (this was 1998, long before having the ability to casually record sessions for practice later). On top of that, they decided to walk around the church/audience during one of the last songs and I refused, staying on stage alone. I didn't find Jesus, and you better believe at the end of the show I got the hell out of there and never came back.

Fast forward a couple years, again playing bass for now a hard rock band, but doing an acoustic set at a local low key spot. Midway through the first song my low E string breaks. It wouldn't have been so bad but I had given my spare set of bass strings to a band that had gone on prior (and had left), thinking my strings were plenty new and never having one break during a gig (ever). Anyway, I managed to transcribe everything to the remaining strings and pulled off the set, honestly much to my and bandmate's surprise. Not that the bass parts in a hard rock band are particularly complicated.

Last edited:
Most embarrassing moment on stage for me occurred on Dec 31, 1979.

It was the usual time of year that my band would rent a large hall. Twice a year. New Years Eve and Valentine Day. The hall accommodated 3 to 4 hundred people and it was always filled to capacity because the ticket price also included a sit down catered dinner with their choice of meals.

Nearly at the end of our third set our bass player (good friend) asked me if I had seen what had happened on the dance floor. Of course I saw it with my own eyes.

Rumor around town was that my wife was screwing a lower than low member of organized crime.

Prior to New Years Eve..... I had heard the rumors, and I refused to believe the rumors.

I was proven wrong about the faith I had in the mother of my children.

Most embarrassing moment on stage for me occurred on Dec 31, 1979.

It was the usual time of year that my band would rent a large hall. Twice a year. New Years Eve and Valentine Day. The hall accommodated 3 to 4 hundred people and it was always filled to capacity because the ticket price also included a sit down catered dinner with their choice of meals.

Nearly at the end of our third set our bass player (good friend) asked me if I had seen what had happened on the dance floor. Of course I saw it with my own eyes.

Rumor around town was that my wife was screwing a lower than low member of organized crime.

Prior to New Years Eve..... I had heard the rumors, and I refused to believe the rumors.

I was proven wrong about the faith I had in the mother of my children.
this is sad bro - i feel for you - damn :(

For a Christmas concert in the late 90s or early 2000s, I'd worked on a song with my friend, a singer. It was just her and I, me playing bass, her singing. We had it down to a tee and when it came time to perform it, it was all going swimmingly and sounded pretty unique, when suddenly, there was a loud voice in a foreign language coming from my amp ! We looked at each other, then the voice went. But not long after, it came back and stayed for the rest of the song. It was loud and excitable, almost as though there was some political debate going on, except we couldn't understand a word. It was louder than my bass !
We joked afterward that it was Radio Bulgaria trying to interfere as revenge for me dissing Sofia, the capital, when I was there.

I was on break, sitting side stage watching the young folks dance.
A farmer, in overalls, jumped on stage and grabbed a mic.
he started yelling into it. no sound - right? we're on break.
So me, jumps on stage.
farmer drops the mic and swings at me - as he is jumping off the stage.
me, being obsessive-compulsive - i'm putting the mic back on the stand, with every intention of going after this sod buster.
then from my left comes a guy in the band, who happens to be a police officer.
he gets the farmer around the neck and starts bashing his head into one of the floor monitors.
i see security making a hole in the crowd and they get this guy and hoist him out the front.
few minutes later i go out front and farmer is in cuffs and - yeah - this guy would of kicked my ass, and hard.
r&r right?
I come off stage on break one night and some dude comes up to me with a pool stick fairly drunk. He says, you can't play fucking guitar and swings the pool stick at my head. I don't know how I caught it, but I caught it between my thumb and index finger about six inches in front of my face. The band members grab him, the bouncer grabs me to pull me away, next thing I know my wife is on the bouncers back pounding on his head. The band dragged the dude outside and taught him a life lesson and left me inside to get my wife off the bouncers back. It all ended well and the show went on. If I hadn't caught that pool stick that would have hurt but I have to admit about the can't play guitar part.

Last edited:
Back