New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Morning all, I was hoping to get some info on which software is the best to use. I would like to sing the songs i have written and for it to produce the sheet music for me. I don't play an instrument but do know people who are willing to record their playing so i can produce the sheet music for that too. I had a copy of Cakewalk Home Studio but i can't seem to get it installed and running properly and now they have discontinued their products so i'm a bit stuck. I have browsed the net but there are sooo many to choose from and none seems to say it produces the sheet music like Cakewalk would have. Appreciate your thoughts, thanks. Emma

Morning all, I was hoping to get some info on which software is the best to use. I would like to sing the songs i have written and for it to produce the sheet music for me. I don't play an instrument but do know people who are willing to record their playing so i can produce the sheet music for that too. I had a copy of Cakewalk Home Studio but i can't seem to get it installed and running properly and now they have discontinued their products so i'm a bit stuck. I have browsed the net but there are sooo many to choose from and none seems to say it produces the sheet music like Cakewalk would have. Appreciate your thoughts, thanks. Emma

Have look at these people..Music Notation Software FORTE - Easy notation software | Forte Notation I don't know if you can use the software to actually record music but my son (who is VERY musically edjukated!) use to produce scores with it.

However, how are you getting the music recorded at the moment? First of all you need an Audio Interface and most come with a 'lite' version of music software (aka 'DAW') often Cubase.
Many beginners start with Audacity and it is a very good editor but not so well suited to song 'building'.

Ah! A penny has dropped! I bet Reaper has a music scoring function? If not it is worth the free go (forever if you have a hard wallet) . Personally I (and son) love Samplitude and the free Sam Pro X Silver might suit you? If you then had Forte you could 'import' the songs as .wav files.

Some indication of your present hardware and room (e.g. size and acoustic treatment if any) PC specifications, CPU speed, ram etc would help to frame better responses?

Dave.

I'm not exactly a newbie; I hadn't logged in for a while and when I tried this morning I found I'd been blocked - presumably because of some database tidy up.
Anyway, it's nice to back and I look forward to visiting often!

I live in the UK, played guitar for over half a century, and been songwriting and home recording for a few years. I use Sonar and Studio One as my DAWs. You can have a listen to some of my songs at johnsongs.com

I'm not exactly a newbie; I hadn't logged in for a while and when I tried this morning I found I'd been blocked - presumably because of some database tidy up.
Anyway, it's nice to back and I look forward to visiting often!

I live in the UK, played guitar for over half a century, and been songwriting and home recording for a few years. I use Sonar and Studio One as my DAWs. You can have a listen to some of my songs at johnsongs.com

Wow man! Great to have you back around! You always have great sounding tunes.

The owners changed servers and things are kind of messy site wise... But all the nice guys are here! Lost a few grumpies but still rolling. :)

Hello, i am Aron. New to this forum and new to recording. I hope to soak up as much i can from this forum and let it top out in some good fun recording sessions.
I am an analog addict and hope to be able to do minimalistic recordings in the analoge domain.

Cheers

I am totally confused where can I start. Please say somebody..

Thanks for the welcome :-) I did not know i needed to go to the last page to see my hello. I believed i did something wrong and my introduction failed....
Well, i am here and i enjoy reading topics from this forum.
I live north of the Polar Circle in a cold, icy and snowy place. Spring is coming soon.
Cheers
Aron

I am totally confused where can I start. Please say somebody..

Hi Paul and welcome. Confused about? The forum? Recording music? I shall assume the latter and kick off..

Do you play an instrument?
If it is acoustic you will need a microphone (better two) . IMHO the most versatile mic is the Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) If possible get them with an attenuator switch (Google AKG P170)

Next you need an Audio Interface. Loadsathese and quite frankly the latest models are all much the same in that the recording quality is excellent. VASTLY better than anything the Beatles had.

Headphones, get 'closed back' types to start with but if you are serious you will need to invest in some decent monitor speakers and they will take the bulk of your money.

Cables of course and a mic stand or two but I shall stop now and let you get back and probably tell me I have been banging on about stuff you already know!

Dave.

Hey, I'm new.

I've had a few years break from being involved in audio, and now I have a room in the house, a bunch of old gear, and a GF who is tolerant.
Pretty sweet really. :)

I just bought a new interface, and have been assessing my room for acoustic treatment and practical placement of furniture and gear and whatnot.

Do people start forum style blogs here? I see a journey ahead, and maybe it would help me to keep up the momentum by posting progress for strangers? Hey, they might benefit too...

hehe.

Hello... I guess...

Hey, I'm new.

I've had a few years break from being involved in audio, and now I have a room in the house, a bunch of old gear, and a GF who is tolerant.
Pretty sweet really. :)

I just bought a new interface, and have been assessing my room for acoustic treatment and practical placement of furniture and gear and whatnot.

Do people start forum style blogs here? I see a journey ahead, and maybe it would help me to keep up the momentum by posting progress for strangers? Hey, they might benefit too...

hehe.

Hello... I guess...

Hello and welcome.
A short list of the gear you have would be useful. Mainly make and model of interface and PC or mac?

Are you a 'one man band' aiming to build tracks or do you have mates that come and jam? Actual band? Gigging? Do you play and if so what? Interested in MIDI?

Doubt many here will read a blog?

Dave.

Hello and welcome.
A short list of the gear you have would be useful. Mainly make and model of interface and PC or mac?

Are you a 'one man band' aiming to build tracks or do you have mates that come and jam? Actual band? Gigging? Do you play and if so what? Interested in MIDI?

Doubt many here will read a blog?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Sure, glad to chat.

My macbook pro died, I couldn't afford to fix or replace it, so I got a reconditioned PC.
i7 3.4g
8g Ram
2g vid card

I own an iLok and PT10 and 11, but WIN10 is not friends with them apparently. I refuse to go subscription.
I am having to relearn a lot of PC stuff, and I'm going for Reaper DAW for a while at least (I think it has video engine now)

I recently replaced my ancient multimix12 firewire (worked great with the macbook), with a Focusrite 18i20 USB. I haven't tested it properly yet, but seems like a good price point for the ins, outs, and sample rate. I like that it is theoretically possible to output distinct surround channels, but that's for the future.

I have a chroma screen and handycam which I hope to put to use. I've only done a little bit of video editing, but I used to really enjoy post production stuff like creative foley.

The monitors are beh****** "truth" B2030a. I hate them, they are mean in the mids, and mean around the sibilance frequencies, always have been, but they are what I have. I have three and a busted one. These will be replaced eventually, but I know them very well at least. I'm going for a pretty dead end foam panel overkill behind them, but I don't expect much from the room. It's pretty square, and, well, the modes are always going to be a ... ahem... "feature", regardless of treatment.

But hey, I have a room! Yay!

I have a strat which needs some work, a four string, a Cole Clark acoustic (love that thing), a baritone acoustic (I use this most), a few inexpensive pedals and one of those loopstations which hasn't seen much use. There are a couple small guitar amps and a 2x10 bass amp.

Lets see, feel like I'm forgetting stuff... Oh there is a Pearl Export drumkit in the shed but I'm not a drummer. A variety of inexpensive mics, but I know the multi-pattern condenser is dead, which sucks because now I have no fig8. I liked playing with mid-side.

Phew... that probably covers it.

I won't be gigging, but aiming at getting a nice stable system, in an organized room, to record myself and friends.
Well, back to measuring foam panels...
Cheers.

[EDIT] - There is an M-Audio Oxygen 49 on my desk as well, and I never have bothered trying to use some of the control surface features... but that's for later.

Last edited:
OK, here's what I'm dealing with.

I'm a lifelong voice talent seeking to set up a home studio. I have what I believe to be adequate equipment to make it happen but the issue of getting voice from the microphone through the processor and mixer to the computer is confusing to me. I'm not an engineer and therefore don't understand a lot of the terminology I've seen in the user manuals and forums for what I have available.

I'm using an Electro-Voice RE20 microphone and need to know how to route the cables from the mic through a dbx 286A processor and a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer to the sound card (X-Fi Titanium) of my computer.

I don't understand what the term "insert" means.

I'm a definite neophyte.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Bill

Back