Great Documentary on THE BEATLES IN THE STUDIO

Only us old die hards know of this one on the backside of the 45 of Let it be....But I can't find a real version of it to post anywhere on the interents... just funky covers....that Crazy

Last edited:
So just for shits n grins what is your favorite Beatles song?

I really like Twist & Shout (don't think that's a Beatles original), Hold Your Hand, Money, Can't Buy Me Love, and Free as a Bird. I had the Anthology CD in 1995, with the white cover and green apple, I think, and I listened to it quite a bit, but aside from those, nothing really stuck with me.

Part of it is when someone becomes TOO big they almost eclipse their genre. When I think of "radio friendly rock/metal", I think of Metallica - then I can't even listen to a Metallica song because their sound and style encapsulates everything about that genre and it becomes, in my mind, so generic and "the standard" for that sound that it turns to eye-rolling and boredom when listening to their music. That's the media's fault and pop culture in general. What it meant when they were first becoming big is lost, and so I suppose Cardio has a point when he says "you had to be there". If he means what it felt like to be a part of something new, hearing it for the first time as everyone else did, in that time period, with those current events and capabilities/options in music, then yes, I can understand that.

But hey, I am very, very picky about my music and I am very, very picky about my movies/tv. I have been known to spend hours (literally) reading reviews and RT/IMDB scores before agreeing to watch something. Thankfully, I have a very patient lady. :)

I guess we all have our opinions.

So just for shits n grins what is your favorite Beatles song?

I've been trying to pick one...there are several I really like.... Fixing a hole always took me to some bizarre place.(very cool tune) ..Nowhere man, For no one, A day in the life...oh shit the more I think the blurrier it gets...cause I do dig me some early stuff too! ( She loves you , when I saw her standing there...you got to hide your love away ...But I think they are more from being emotionally connected than looking at it as a musician... I started studying / paying attention to songwriting @ 1968..so it's all their later stuff that impress's me on that side....
Elanor Rigby is pretty bad ass....

OK I'll go with Strawberry Fields as #1 for me.....with A day in the life, For no one, Fixing a hole, Norwegian wood, Nowhere man, Help, Elanor Rigby, Twist and Shout and Yesterday in my top 10...man I had to leave a lot of other favs out but I narrowed it down to 10

Come together...dang

From a songwriting standpoint, I really love "Martha, My Dear." Damn I wish I could write chords/melodies like that. McCartney wasn't always my favorite lyricist (though I usually like them fine), but as far as the music side of things, he was hard to beat IMO. His Ram solo album was a masterpiece, IMO.

I also really love:
I'm Only Sleeping
Getting Better
Fixing a Hole (hell yes!)
She's Leaving Home
A Day in the Life (just ... of course)
Strawberry Fields
Yes It Is
Polythene Pam
For the Benefit of Mr. Kite
I Am the Walrus

Geez .... I have to stop. :)

FamousBeagle

Martha my Dear is a bad ass tune....For the longest time I was more a McCartney fan than Lennon fan, Loved his first solo album....McCartney...maybe I'm amazed Junk...dang! and this was strictly from a song writing perspective but as I got a hold of some of those bootleg recordings of recording sessions and jams I got a whole new love and respect for John...dude was amazing and whack....

FamousBeagle

Martha my Dear is a bad ass tune....For the longest time I was more a McCartney fan than Lennon fan, Loved his first solo album....McCartney...maybe I'm amazed Junk...dang! and this was strictly from a song writing perspective but as I got a hold of some of those bootleg recordings of recording sessions and jams I got a whole new love and respect for John...dude was amazing and whack....

Oh yeah, for sure. I don't have a favorite, actually. I love too much of both of their stuff (as you can see from my song list above). In fact, we named our firstborn (son) Lennon.

My wife wouldn't let me name our second child (daughter) McCartney, though. :)

Only us old die hards know of this one on the backside of the 45 of Let it be....But I can't find a real version of it to post anywhere on the interents... just funky covers....that Crazy

HA! I frickin finally found a copy out on the internets........I am going to guess most of ya's have never heard this one...John having a most excellent good time ......This is the whacky genius of senore' Lennon....

Cool Daddyo!

YOU KNOW MY NAME!

In searching for this damn song I found treasure of old MP3's I have of bootleg studio tapes.......Provides you with a wholle different way more earthly human view of the boys...but also makes you realize maybe they weren't human after all....hmmmmm?

Last edited:
HA! I frickin finally found a copy out on the internets........I am going to guess most of ya's have never heard this one...John having a most excellent good time ......This is the whacky genius of senore' Lennon....

Cool Daddyo!

YOU KNOW MY NAME!

In searching for this damn song I found treasure of old MP3's I have of bootleg studio tapes.......Provides you with a wholle different way more earthly human view of the boys...but also makes you realize maybe they weren't human after all....hmmmmm?

Oh yeah I've heard this one for sure. I think I first heard it on the Anthology CDs. Good stuff! ;)

It's really hard for me to pick a favourite, but I always really liked "I am the Walrus"

Alan.

I'll never forget listening to that whole album for the first time......this band was not of this earth....That dream state part right before sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun......wow.....smoke pot smoke pot everybody smoke pot...

OK OK I'll smoke some pot! Sheeesh!

I'll never forget listening to that whole album for the first time......this band was not of this earth....That dream state part right before sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun......wow.....smoke pot smoke pot everybody smoke pot...

OK OK I'll smoke some pot! Sheeesh!

Speaking of that album, I always thought the ending of "Magical Mystery Tour" (the song) was so cool. I mean, the main part of the song was awesome as well, but at the very end it takes that turn into an almost fusiony kind of sound to the fade out. The first time I heard that, I thought, "Whoah ... where the hell did this come from?"

And damn, McCartney's vocal kills on that track.

OK ....One Magical Mystery Tour Movie coming up.... Roll up! It's probably been 40 +years since I watched this last....pity...damn funny

[video]https://videa.hu/videok/kreativ/beatles-magical-mystery-tour-z5o3lT40cxKUELxy[/video]

My favorite Beatles tune is Paperback writer. A non love song that features guitars and vocals in the early Beatles sense, but straddles the early and late Beatles eras sound wise. A center point if you will for their musical progression.

What it meant when they were first becoming big is lost, and so I suppose Cardio has a point when he says "you had to be there". If he means what it felt like to be a part of something new, hearing it for the first time as everyone else did, in that time period, with those current events and capabilities/options in music, then yes, I can understand that.

That was my point. If you weren't there for the point before it happened, then you can't really understand the feeling of the moment when it did happen. How new and original it sounded. Just like I could never relate to the older folks who were so enamored of Elvis. Yeah, I liked early Elvis, and I can understand logically what he meant, but I could never really feel it, because I wasn't around in the time before there was an Elvis. Just like millenials can't quite get how revolutionary the pc and the internet was. If you've never experienced the world without something, then it's hard to relate to how big a deal it was.

There was a guy who used to hang here that did a killer version of Tomorrow Never Knows.

The ultimate stoner trip of the time was to get in the apprpriate frame of mind, put on headphones, and listen to Revolution Number 9. And then follow that with A Day In The Life.

That last chord is epic and iconic. And a must for anybody into the recording arts.

Funny Shit! Oh my lordy.....I'm an Elder...:eek:....don't you dare abuse me!

Nothing worse than getting beaten by the the hands of the clock of life.

I was a little disappointed with the video. Moved to quickly, and not in depth enough.
I remember when the anthology came out, there were lots of cool liner noted about how songs were recorded.

I was a little disappointed with the video. Moved to quickly, and not in depth enough.
I remember when the anthology came out, there were lots of cool liner noted about how songs were recorded.

Beeze have you ever listened to the some of unofficial basement studio tapes? Amazing shit you get to hear a lot of John experimenting and you hear what later became incredible works in their most raw format...gives hope to all of us who are just average Joes ...from those very rough ideas fricking gold was produced. If you haven't ever heard em...I know a guy who knows a guy that saw some of them fall off of a truck somewhere in Pepperland.

Last edited:
It just shows you that you can't underestimate the contribution of George Martin. Even when the boys themselves got creative with production, they were using tools and techniques that they learned from him.

It just shows you that you can't underestimate the contribution of George Martin. Even when the boys themselves got creative with production, they were using tools and techniques that they learned from him.

I saw first hand what a drastic difference a great producer can do back in the early days of VH.....Understand that I knew the boys when they were doing covers in dive bars. My band was the last local band to ever play with them before their first album was released. It was basically a private party for VH friends, fam and fans to see em one last time as a "local band". The gig was at the Snowcrest lodge in Mt Baldy and my band at the time Cheap Day Return opened for them.. They were still putting the finishing touches on the album and played several of the tunes that night. Now maybe it was because they weren't VH as the world knows them today but they were still just VH when we played with them...yeah they had signed a 3.2 million dollar deal with Warner brothers but they were still just VH. To me they still sounded like that really good local rock band...not anything of Zepplin level.....Then the album was released HOLY SHIT! THAT WAS NOT THE BAND WE PLAYED WITH....Ted Templeman took them to a whole new level of Zepplin land recording and the rest is history.

George Martin was a really clever guy but so were the boys and as they entered into multitrack land they embraced learning resulting in some very novel approaches to putting a song together ...The whiteout tapes and others like it shine a light on a rough idea and how it can evolve into a masterpiece with some creative minds and great mixing.

If nothing else, if one is not particularly a fan or whatever, the whole The Beatles thing is nonetheless an interesting journey.

I ran across a little tidbit online the other day that lead to flood gates. The opening chord to A Hard Days Night. From mere guitarists debating, to actual scientists using special equipment to try to get to the truth, just what is that chord? Here's a short youtube. Randy Bachman talks of going to Abbey Road Studios with George Martin's son. Every Beatles song/track is loaded into Pro tools. He is asked, okay, what do you want to hear?

I'll let him tell it. He then demonstrates that chord. The chord kind of gives you chills, and I love the excitement in Bachman's voice. Pretty awesome. I don't know, I think he nailed it.

Back