Studio Monitors

Just to be clear - I was definitely not being critical of miro's setup, I figured he had done his due diligence and the materials he has under his monitors is vastly superior and more stable than the cheap bookshelves mine sit atop.

No problem, I understood that. :)

I m using a military sleeping bag pad. Its a very dense closed cell foam, almost like a medium hard rubber, you can pick it up at any surplus/ camping store.
You can lay it out on rocks and with your sleeping bag on top sleep comfortably. I also use it for a mat when crawling under my car.

Cut up for speakers it's outstanding. I noticed a definate improvement.

I tried the yoga mat thing, it's not bad, but this stuff is great.

Like the fools and gear junkies some of us are, we fall for it every time.
:D

I'm basically a single guy with no dependents, other than my mother, but she doesn't really "depend" on me for survival.

I could piss my spare cash on hookers and expensive brandy...or go on those mindless hotel vacations and get chocolate mints on my pillow...or I can buy expensive cars...or "better" yet, :facepalm: a boat :laughings: that I then look forward to selling after a couplf of seasons in the water...

...or I can buy audio gear, which for me, never stops giving. :)

No problem, I understood that. :)

I m using a military sleeping bag pad. Its a very dense closed cell foam..

Yup...I used a sleeping pad for awhile...cut it up, etc...but when I ran across this rubber floor mat, it was/is much better.

Even the Mackies...which are pretty good size/weight, but smaller than these Focals...were compressing the sleeping mat over time.
This floor mat rubber doesn't compress at all.

Hey, no criticism on my part :D
Buying shit that one likes and uses, nothing wrong with that.

Now , I do have an idiot friend. ....
He bought a brand new Harley Davidson Road king 5 years ago. Drove it home from the dealer, parked it in his garage, cleaned it. And immediately covered it.

Never rides it. Lol :D

Meh...they look like shit, and aesthetics and the whole feng shui thing are as important as how well something works, IMO.
Like when you see one of those absolutely fugly sport cars...I mean, who cares how it performs. :p

Not to mention, I like my wood...:D...even if it's MDF or whatever they used on the Focals, but it looks/feels like wood, and I have to say, they also have a pleasant wood aroma.
Maybe it's just the smell of the adhesives or whatever, but it's a nice smell, and they remind me of my Carr Hammerhead amp, which when I first got it, for a long time when it was powered up and got warm from the tubes, it would fill the room with a very nice aroma, like a sweet pine or similar.

Anyway...point being...whatever it is, it's gotta look as good as it performs....or at least it has to be "cool ugly" to be acceptable...

...but not fugly. :)

Last edited:
Looks like one of the solid block aluminum monitors has gone in favor of Pro Sound, but here a remaining link to the Flare Audio versions;
Studio Monitors - Flare Audio - Professional Audio - Orbital Sound. Audio and Theatre Equipment Hire and Sales

Anyone notice the P1's have a stated Rated Power AES 2400W? about 2250 higher than the best model. Hmm.. That right there says someone isn't translating very well. Just saying. lol

Back to the other conversation, I use the Auralex Mopads for my monitors on a separate platform from my desk. They are ghetto in a sense as they are concrete blocks painted black. They are not seen by anyone but me from behind the setup. It works. Stable and no resonance from my desk.

Some forms of resonance can be easily tested. One could drop one of my 35.2-pound boxs, or, Miro's lightweight 31-pound box on their toe : )

This one is plywood w/wood veneer sitting flat on inert plastic shelf. Alnico 'cept for the horn

Attachments

• sw150.jpg
    sw150.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 0
Some forms of resonance can be easily tested. One could drop one of my 35.2-pound boxs, or, Miro's lightweight 31-pound box on their toe : )

This one is plywood w/wood veneer sitting flat on inert plastic shelf. Alnico 'cept for the horn

LOL! But, 4 lbs makes no difference when dropped from listening position. In fact the actual damage to the foot from the fall, would rely on what side/corner the poor/great sounding monitor landed..

So again, we must learn what our monitors are telling us. Especially the sharp edged ones... :)

There is some craziness going on here in this thread. For real!:facepalm:

Why the hell would anyone want to drop their monitors on their foot??? And what the hell does that have to do with resonance???:facepalm:

@Gawrr, you have some good posts sometimes, but then just as often you come up with some out in left field, off the wall shit.:spank::D

We had a statement on desk resonance and we can also test how an engineer resonates. The usual test is a strong door knock (weak punch). My Tannoy are six-sided, how do you think a NS-10 stands up to that ? Any other speakers in the room ? You will be hearing them, also. I guess the drivers were designed to vibrate. The paneling in my place seems to be designed to vibrate, that's for sure. Do you have any boxes with internal bracing that also have a double baffle up front - that makes mine 1-inch thick. Or, whatever the almost size was before everything was downsized. In fact, my Center-Bass-Reflex System didn't even have the Bass driver screwed to the front baffle - which was cast inert plastic. How does isolation from direct contact with the box effect resonance ? What criteria do you use when you buy boxes ?

Why the hell would anyone want to drop their monitors on their foot??? And what the hell does that have to do with resonance???:facepalm:

Well...just drop one on your foot, and you will find out where the resonance comes from.

I think garww speaks from personal experience. :)

The last high point in this thread was when you posted a pic of your monitors.

Since then ? A lot of blah, blah, blah to me. :D

Studio01.jpg

Whenever someone asks about which monitors are best, there is a mass of answers saying either monitor and recommending every other brand on the planet, because it comes down to personal preference.
Alan.

I just thought I would quote myself from the beginning of this thread, post #4, oh so true. :guitar::eatpopcorn::drunk::guitar:

Alan.

Well, we could go back to full range Drivers ? I've been toying with the idea of bolting a 3, or, 4-inch into the hole of a cinder block for many years. This 4-inch looks to have pretty smooth midrange. Not much for Alnico in the small sizes : )

No- x-over distortions and a inert container

Attachments

• nirvana.jpg
    nirvana.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 2
I just thought I would quote myself from the beginning of this thread, post #4, oh so true. :guitar::eatpopcorn::drunk::guitar:

Alan.

That's true, in many cases it is personal preference...though I think you can also divide things up a bit by budget/quality...and also the fact that many newb/low-budget buyers tend to buy the thing they can afford, not what they prefer...so it has little o do with "personal preference".
I mean...until you've heard a lot of monitors from lower to higher quality/price...your selection choice has little to do with "preference". :)

Well, there's that guy looking for small footprint monitors for his 6 x 8 foot studio. Ya do what you have to do !

Back