The sound of vintage recordings

I'm not sure the point of the thread since you kinda answered your own question and if you like old recordings due to the sounds then you should listen to them and/or recreate them.

Thanks for your input. Very well said! It kind of side-stepped what my original intent was, but you brought up some very interesting points regarding how the recording serves the song/artist/performance/etc.

My original intent was simply to say that I love the sound of those vintage records just as much as the performances/songs/etc. and don't feel the need to add any disclaimer such as, "For the time, they're really good." And I simply wanted to know where others saw themselves along that spectrum.

My original intent was simply to say that I love the sound of those vintage records just as much as the performances/songs/etc. and don't feel the need to add any disclaimer such as, "For the time, they're really good." And I simply wanted to know where others saw themselves along that spectrum.

Oh yeah, gotcha now. I'd say never apologize or use any disclaimers for what you like. Knowing what you like is a real blessing when there are infinite possibilities. It helps narrow it down so you can actually get work done fast.

This reminds me what I read about Jack White recently. He's obsessed with Son House recordings and claims it's b/c of how the recordings sound ("lo-fi" by modern standards) and the simplicity of just a voice that has a pulse/beat. And he is a total gear head who melds old and new gear. Yet he still knows when song and style mesh. It's why Jack White recordings always sound good but not overdone. They're modern yet old.

But bands like Radiohead built their sound around modern technology and that's cool, too. It's what fits their style. To me great engineers know this and record/mix around the style. Bad engineers, even if they have big names like Pensado, try to make everything "radio ready" and cookie cutter. This style of engineering really lacks creativity and winds up just sounding "loud" to the point I turn it off. Creative engineers who try to mesh song with the recording are the best, and sadly most are working for peanuts on lowly indie labels.

Me i like the sound of the old recordings.

I like the new too, but Nola made very good points in his post. Everyone is competing for the limelight, every instrument wants to be equally heard.

Thats not always what the song needs.

Worse still, that is now the accepted norm.
In places like the mp3 clinic, people will critique based on that 'standard'.

Who the hell is the 'authority' on that being the standard???

Because some band and producer/ mixers sold millions with some shitty songs. They didn't sell because of the quality of the music, but because marketing forced it upon the dumbed down musical public who are used to buying shit.

Take Green day, i don't know of a lot of people who love and respect the band. But they made a lot of money for the labels and CLA.

I personally like their version of working class hero... but nothing much else. And the tune i like is not their own, but John Lennon's.

One band I've always liked is Mountain.

One great song is "theme for an imaginary western". Great piece of music, but it wouldn't pass muster by todays mix standards.

I bet if I were to post it in the clinic, and not let anyone know who's song it was, a lot of the younger crowd would rip it to shreds and tell me to remix it. Lol

Old stuff sounds great, New stuff sounds great.

It's all art. People have forgotten that since the biz took over.

Worse still, that is now the accepted norm.
In places like the mp3 clinic, people will critique based on that 'standard'.

Who the hell is the 'authority' on that being the standard???

Because some band and producer/ mixers sold millions with some shitty songs.

That's what it's based off, yes. Like Pensado has a Youtube channel that hundreds of thousands of bedroom engineers watch. They learn from him that loud is good, that 10 compressors on a track (okay, that's hyperbole but not much) is good, that massive EQ boosting is fine, 10 guitar tracks is fine, etc. It's all very "extreme", yet then the finished product winds up with a vocal way out in front of a wimpy backdrop, and I think the wimpy backdrop is b/c everything tries to be loud, so nothing is. There are a lot of engineers going to Youtube now and sharing their "secrets" (hint: make everything loud and extreme) and that's why it's the norm.

Then these young bedroom engineers look up to this person and replicate it.

I don't wanna get all GregL and be like "kids these days with their loud mixes" but honestly there is nothing worse than going in the clinic and seeing that Peak Limited wave forum on the soundcloud link. I see it and before clicking know immediately the music I'm about to hear will be harsh, brutally loud, and just overall displeasing, and I know the bedroom engineers who made those recordings got that info from someone on Youtube who doesn't understand the art of restraint or moderation.

I've had people in the clinic tell me "the bass is indistinct" and I was thinking "cool", because it wasn't a bass driven song so I wanted the bass low just where when it's removed you notice but not where you hear every note. I'm going to make a note to critique posts in the clinic more on what the song needs. I always try to do that, but this thread is a good reminder that cookie cutter sucks and each song has a potential and that potential isn't in an ozone7 preset. It's in a lot of listening to many genres, hard work on mixes, and good artistic taste and choices.

I think a lot of it comes down to trends and not all trends are driven by the technology. There is no such thing as a good bass tone for example. The tendency today (really since the 80s) is to have a bright bass sound. My personal taste is much rounder. I don't need or desire the bass to stand on its own. I want the drums to be the attack of the bass. I didn't grow up on this tone, but gravitate to it for some reason. A friend of mine has a son playing bass. I showed him mine with round wounds and he was shocked that existed. He liked how it sounded. He also just got a Rickenbacker bass and noticed the mutes. He couldn't imagine taking away sustain on purpose. I can see that however he somehow feels like that he needs to follow some modern (played out in my opinion) accepted sound. At least he agrees that slap bass sounds cheezy :)

I think a lot of it comes down to trends and not all trends are driven by the technology. There is no such thing as a good bass tone for example. The tendency today (really since the 80s) is to have a bright bass sound. My personal taste is much rounder. I don't need or desire the bass to stand on its own. I want the drums to be the attack of the bass. I didn't grow up on this tone, but gravitate to it for some reason. A friend of mine has a son playing bass. I showed him mine with round wounds and he was shocked that existed. He liked how it sounded. He also just got a Rickenbacker bass and noticed the mutes. He couldn't imagine taking away sustain on purpose. I can see that however he somehow feels like that he needs to follow some modern (played out in my opinion) accepted sound. At least he agrees that slap bass sounds cheezy :)

Man ... the bass on some of those old Motown records amazes me! Listen to Stevie's "Signed, Sealed, and Delivered" for example. It's as if the bass is as loud as the lead vocal! It sounds HUGE, but it doesn't stomp on anything else. And it's just round and warm with very little high end, but it's full of clarity. I don't know how they did that!

But yes, I'm totally with you on bass tone. I love the flats, and I've got the mute on my P-bass as well.

I think a lot of that vintage bass sound was the player. No Jaco or Billy Sheehan types. You know, the modern virtuosos. Just good solid guys who knew how to lay down a groove and control their own dynamics.

A fave vintage sound song for me is "My Girl"

While we're on vintage and bass, one of the best of those "guys" was actually a gal - Carol Kaye. Amazing bassist that I'm sure you've heard a recording of if you've ever listened to 60's or 70's music or film...

While we're on vintage and bass, one of the best of those "guys" was actually a gal - Carol Kaye. Amazing bassist that I'm sure you've heard a recording of if you've ever listened to 60's or 70's music or film...

Absolutely! Fabulous player featured on many landmark recordings, perhaps most famously, of course, "Good Vibrations." Beautiful work.

Right, she did the Herb Alpert stuff, too.

Carol Kaye and Richard Davis (Van Morrison's Astral Weeks) are probably my two favorite bass players.

Famous Beagle, I was thinking about this thread a bit tonight, and what you're reflecting on is a lot like Iceberg Theory.

The Iceberg Theory (sometimes known as the "theory of omission").
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceberg_Theory

Tonight I was listening to mainstream recordings from the 40s, like the crooners, and realized I want to hear more detail. The backing bands are faint and there is crackling and you just can't make out much detail. Modern recordings have too much detail. It is like dating a beautiful girl and looking at her from 10ft away, but when you get in too close you see she has fine lines, blackheads, grey hairs, and other flaws. That's what a modern recording is like -- a girl up close and you owning eagle eyes. As a listener, I don't need to hear the finger moving on a string and every other fine detail. I think the reason you like those 60s and 70s recordings so much is b/c they are somewhere in between the extremes. Like you hear good detail...but not everything. The omission (iceberg theory) lets the brain wander and interpret or invent things that are missing. So they're balanced between dullness and extreme clarity, and humans tend to like balance.

I dunno. It's pretty interesting. Definitely I feel that you can give a listener too much detail...leaving things to the imagination or interpretation is a strong tactic. I have heard some modern recordings where that extreme clarity and detail work, but they're more the exception imo, and in general are more sparse mixes.

Tonight I was listening to mainstream recordings from the 40s, like the crooners, and realized I want to hear more detail. The backing bands are faint and there is crackling and you just can't make out much detail. Modern recordings have too much detail. It is like dating a beautiful girl and looking at her from 10ft away, but when you get in too close you see she has fine lines, blackheads, grey hairs, and other flaws. That's what a modern recording is like -- a girl up close and you owning eagle eyes. As a listener, I don't need to hear the finger moving on a string and every other fine detail. I think the reason you like those 60s and 70s recordings so much is b/c they are somewhere in between the extremes. Like you hear good detail...but not everything. The omission (iceberg theory) lets the brain wander and interpret or invent things that are missing. So they're balanced between dullness and extreme clarity, and humans tend to like balance.

I dunno. It's pretty interesting. Definitely I feel that you can give a listener too much detail...leaving things to the imagination or interpretation is a strong tactic. I have heard some modern recordings where that extreme clarity and detail work, but they're more the exception imo, and in general are more sparse mixes.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. And soft focus was invented to smooth out the blemishes and other details that mar an overall beautiful figure.

But . . .for music I still want to hear the detail. I did not like the blurry soft-focus of Spector and Motown. I found recordings of the mid-twentieth century to be patchy. Some were very good, but many reflected the quality of early technology and poor recording skills.

So I celebrate the clarity possible in contemporary recording. Squeaks, buzzes, breathing and other musical noises all excite me.

Carol Kaye and Richard Davis (Van Morrison's Astral Weeks) are probably my two favorite bass players.

Famous Beagle, I was thinking about this thread a bit tonight, and what you're reflecting on is a lot like Iceberg Theory.

Very interesting! I agree there is something to that for sure. And yes, the 60s, for the most part, kind of represent the perfect amount of above-water iceberg to me. That's not to say I don't like any recording where things are close-miked, etc. I love me some of the old Tom Petty production, for example, like "Breakdown." I like some of his later songs, but the Jeff Lynne productions are less appealing to me. Although some later albums kind of returned to a more vintage flavor and aren't as glossy.

You hear a lot of people say (even in this thread it's been brought up) that a big part of that sound was just having the band in the room playing together. And I'm sure that is a huge part of that sound. What's funny is that, even though I'd heard that before, I've never really tried it. I came up cutting my teeth on home recording in the late 80s, and by then close-miking everything had been well-established for a long time. And so that's how I learned to record, and that's been my default mode since then.

Of course, in my defense, I often record as a one-man operation. I also don't usually have access to a nice, big, good-sounding studio room either. Any time that I've ever tried recording "a band all in a room playing" has basically just been throwing up a little mic to record a band rehearsal, most often in a home living room or a small, crappy rehearsal studio space, and it usually sounds pretty crappy. (It serves its purpose, which is to document a rehearsal, but it's usually not something I listen to for the joy of the tones or anything.)

I'd love the opportunity to try out the full-band recording method at some point, but I don't know if it'll happen. Several things have to come together: a well-rehearsed band, material worth recording, a place to do it, the funds to do it (if that place is a studio that has to be rented), and a consensus within the band that this is the sound we want. Seems like a lot to hope for. Who knows? Until then, I'll just keep doing what I do. I may try to partially implement what I can, when I can, to see what effect I get. For example, when I have my drummer friend come out again (the one who played on "Standard Protocol," the most recent song I had in the mp3 clinic), maybe I'll try to just record he and I (me on bass) with two microphones to see what happens. I don't know.

The good news is that I usually have fun experimenting regardless of whether or not the results are keepers or not.

The good news is that I usually have fun experimenting regardless of whether or not the results are keepers or not.

Yes! Agreed. Experimentation is fun. It's the other mundane or wrong stuff that gets to me. Playing the same riff 70 times while moving a microphone in 1/2" increments is mundane, but necessary. Recording 4 takes of a piano part and hitting it on the head, turning around to hit the space bar and realizing you didn't enable the track...just wrong. All are learning, teaching moments, but not so much fun.
Thinking of a new way (for me) of recording my acoustic that I hadn't tried and trying. FUN (whether pass or fail).

There are styles that don't really benefit from a band playing together, metal, rap, modern pop, edm etc., but for the kinds of music I like most and want to record there is simply no substitute. A lot of the concerns you have, being well rehearsed, having good material, is something bands figure out by being bands for a while.

Our band spent an evening this week tracking a new song. They've been working on it casually for about a year, letting things sort themselves out, and this week it all just fell together. The whole band played without vocals, but I was really going for a solid drum track. I got the drums but the bass and guitar were a little loose so they'll get retracked. Sometimes I get lucky and the guitar or bass is a keeper, but not usually. With the whole band playing there's a feel, a give and take, that you don't get tracking one at a time, and even though I'm retracking everything but the drums they will have that give and take baked into them, so even when other things are tracked the whole thing will still sound like a band playing.

I tent the guitar amp and the other instruments are going direct, so I'm not really getting that 60s bleed. But I am getting that feel of a group of real humans playing music together. For me and most of the music I record this is the best balance between pure live takes and constructing a song on the grid out of parts. It is totally worth trying even if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
So I celebrate the clarity possible in contemporary recording. Squeaks, buzzes, breathing and other musical noises all excite me.

For me....it depends on the music and the production intent.

IOW...if you want a breathy vocal...OK...then you record it that way, but if you don't want it and it's just the result of shitty performance and recording techniques, then it's annoying.
I can't stand listening to a singer gasp for air between every word...t's very annoying to me...or listening to string clicks/pops/squeaks ...if they were NOT intended.
Like if it's a very soft, sparse song, hearing the singer breathe, gives it a certain intimacy. Same thing with an acoustic guitar playing on its own...etc.
Other times...in different styles and mixes...those things are just "sonic hash" that adds nothing to the music.

I have noticed of late that there's some kind of new mindset with Indie Pop/Rock, where often the singer's breathing is overemphasized in a lot of songs I've heard, and it's distracting and irritating to me hearing it in some of the songs, how obvious and overdone it is. Not sure if that really is a style trend, like Nola was saying...too much detail being included...?
I do think that people try too hard these days to make every element in a mix, somehow stand out...which, IMO, is not really workable without being too overbearing on the listener, in most cases. Some things should sit back, and be less defined, and provide/add more of a feel as opposed to being in your face details....IMO.

Back in the day...those Motown records and such...the vocal was really the main focus, and except for some signature instrument lines, everything else just lay back in the mix.
Today, lots of mixes try to push every track to the front of the mix...IMO.

I agree. Everything should be present at all stages of the performance...bass; check, drums; check, guitars; check...etc. But they don't all have to be the front instrument at all times. Cool bass riff/drum fill/keyboard run - to the front and pulled back when it's over. Even better still, it was emphasized in the actual playing and was just naturally highlighted. That's what I've been striving for in my last few songs. I like to have everything clear and THERE, but not necessarily up front. I want to hear the string part when it comes in, then back it off a bit and let the listener's brain strain to hear it. I think that's a lot of what's missing in modern (pop) recordings. You get drums and vocals and everything else is pulled back...but it's crystal clear and distinct. It still grabs your attention away from the focus...and usually that focus is poorly written lyrics. (GET OFF MY LAWN)

Interesting question. I work in audio for radio, but not mixing music. There are so many variables, such as how do you expect the music to be heard? FM radio? The compression between what is pushed through a transmitter versus listening to an LP, 45, MP3, FLAC is considerable. Not to mention the listening environment, etc. For example, some old tunes on 45s sounded great on the AM radios of the day.

For example, some old tunes on 45s sounded great on the AM radios of the day.

Sure. I recall listening to AM radio in the day thinking they all sounded great. But I was barely in my teens and was musically naive.

So innocence and naivety both play a part in influencing our perceptions.

But more importantly,even if 45s sounded great on AM, were they specifically mixed for AM?

I will argue that they weren't; that they were mixed to sound good on whatever equipment that they had at hand, and that the match between recording and broadcast medium was fortuitous rather than planned.

Back