Hearing Test!

A pretty useless test IMO since I started to hear at just over 6kHz but I know from NHS audiograms that I am at least 20dB down at 2kHz (I cannot hear the top octave of a piano, just thuds) . To get a meaningful test each frequency should be delivered at increasing level from zero, only then can you get a "graph" of your relative loss.

Hearing loss is a very complex subject but some common symptoms are...

Difficulty following conversations, especially in noisy situations.
Difficulty understanding people with strong accents other than your own.
Needing the TV louder than the rest of the family do. This problem is made vastly worse by the fashion now to accompany EVERY type of programme, even "educational" ones with crashing music.
Finding that you are shouting or at least speaking much louder than "normal" people.

If anyone is experiencing any of these symptoms they should seek medical advice. I wonder how many people who submit mixes to HR have ever had a proper hearing test? Do the "pros" here get tested regularly?

The world and his wife moves heaven and earth for the blind*. The deaf are just STUPID!

*N.B. We have a ROYAL society for the blind but only Bog Standard for us muttons. (mind you, same for animal and kids!)

Dave.

Just for gags, nothing official/scientific or to stick by here. Never said it was to be taken so seriously. It's clearly a touchy subject for you, and I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. I use scientific, proven, medical research everyday, and I understand where you're coming from....but HR is for fun. Let's be lighthearted with it, heh?

Sorry if this post offended you.

Regardless, the sounds are what they are. I was just curious to see if anyone could hear those tones played above 15khz in this specific video.

Not offended in the least Andy!
Yes, of course HR is for fun but hearing problems are a serious business and vitally so for ANYONE on this forum.

I wanted to make it very, very clear that you cannot test your own hearing, at least not with such a simple test regime. The analogue for sight would be the ability to read ever reducing fonts but at what distance and who decides your accuracy? (BTW, I am a fekkin', old mess. ARMD has all but buggered left mince and I am having jabs in the other).

Once again, PLEASE don't think you have upset me! In fact, those that know me here KNOW I like a good rant now and then! (don't mention MIDI, AIs with only one mic input or slag off mixers!).

Dave.

...The analogue for sight would be the ability to read ever reducing fonts but at what distance and who decides your accuracy?

again, it's just for simple gags. nothing serious. everyone will have different headphones, and some cap out at 18 or so khz anyway. add in various volumes of listening, background noise etc...and, of course, there won't be anything official or scientific about it. i work nights, and tonight was an off night, so as i sat on my laptop at 3am, i wanted to share it and see where others were picking up the sound on their system, at that time, in their own conditions.

thanks for not being offended. and cool of you to pursue music/mixing given some clear challenges.

I was just curious to see if anyone could hear those tones played above 15khz in this specific video.

I felt a tingle...it might have even moved a bit. :o

What I've noticed with the common loss of HF as we age, that for us in the audio world is less about "not hearing" and more to do with "how we listen".

IOW...you might not hear 15kHz...when you're just dialing through the tones...but I bet when you mix, if you suddenly remove all the 15k Hz you will notice it.

AFA understanding conversation...I find it would be somewhat of a bonus NOT being able to hear/understand what some people are talking about. :D

Oooo! Miro'! You are treading dangerously close to on of my bêtes noir!

There is a clique of the audio world that claims audio electronics such as mic pre amps should have an HF response extending well past the accepted 20kHz. To keep a flat response AT 20kHz I have no problem with a response 3dB down and falling at around 30-35kH but some people argue that we need a response out to 100kHz and beyond.

Their claim is that although we cannot actually HEAR 25kHz+ unless it is "captured" we "feel" the lack. This despite any peer reviewed evidence and ignoring the fact that very few microphones GET to 20kHz and many are diving off at 15k.

Now! I do admit Good Sir that 15kHz is not 25kHz and there COULD be something in it..Just wary is all.

Dave.

I'm not talking about ultra high frequency perceptions.

I'm just saying that if you go do a hearing test, and they tell you that your hearing is down 6 dB at 8kHz (or something like that)...it doesn't mean you can't do audio or mix anymore because you can't hear good at 8kHz....etc....becuase if you took a mix and EQ'd out all of 8KHz you would still certainly hear and feel that change.

AFA those ultra high frequency debates...mmm...I don't know about 100kHz, but I have noticed/felt a change when 40kHz was boosted/cut. I couldn't hear the 40kHz, not even close...but there was something different in the source.

Still, one can't completely deny that there's nothing more to audio and sound waves, or important... than just what you are consciously hearing.

I picked it up just a smidge under 15k on my monitors.

Also my grandfather is 88 and served on an artillery crew in Korea, and I'm pretty sure he can hear about as good as I can, and definitely over 8k lol :D

Damn didn't hear a thing until it got to 12K :wtf: ...My wife has incredible hearing and we are always at odds on the volume of the TV... I'll have to have her take the test and see just how good it is...

I don't know what all the fuss is about. All I can hear anymore are the voices in my head. Quite entertaining I must say.

:D

I'm in HD380s. First time through, I stopped at over 18k because I heard something. It's the subharmonics coming up. SO, second time through I stopped just over 15.3K as I could actually hear the sss up there. Gets clear right at 15K (15041), but there's also a reaction delay to consider...I'm old and played in LOUD rock bands through the 70s and 80s (and a quieter country band in the late 80s and early 90s). I took really good care of my ears, though. Agree that this is probably not accurate or worth anything as a scientific tool, but it is kind of interesting.

Try THIS ONE instead.
I was amazed that my HD 380s started down around 28 Hz and got pretty loud by 35 M-Audios started picking up about 33 and got it together at 37...still didn't stop until 15380 (so probably a bit lower is where I didn't hear).

Sadly 12K again :(

Started out as a young kid working with my pops using hardwood floor sanding machines with no ear protection, then on to a stationary sandblaster 8 hours a day for months at a time at my uncles plating shop in my early teens......Definitely did damage in the bands I played in and the many concerts I went to where my ears were ringing when I left......Then 20 years of construction.... tile saws, grinders, jack hammers etc....then this damn classic rock band I play in now that plays waaaaay too loud. I usually wear foam ear plugs now but it's a day late and a dollar short. Have the tinnitus too...Oh well I can hear "fair" for a 63 year old guess I should be grateful for whats I gots being as ignorant as I was in the early days and later irresponsible / apathetic about ear protection... literally "dumb"...:eek:

Try THIS ONE instead.
I was amazed that my HD 380s started down around 28 Hz and got pretty loud by 35 M-Audios started picking up about 33 and got it together at 37...still didn't stop until 15380 (so probably a bit lower is where I didn't hear).

A good headphone transducer test! I started hearing it around 25Hz, and went up to 12500Hz again.
Tried it with my computer speakers (old Gateways in small boxes, not those flat-panel things), and after about 8K, the tone was still there but didn't change - a harmonic thing I guess.

Hearing loss is a very complex subject but some common symptoms are...

Difficulty following conversations, especially in noisy situations.
Difficulty understanding people with strong accents other than your own.
Needing the TV louder than the rest of the family do. This problem is made vastly worse by the fashion now to accompany EVERY type of programme, even "educational" ones with crashing music.
Finding that you are shouting or at least speaking much louder than "normal" people.

I'm confused because these are the very same symptoms I get when I've had a few too many.... :drunk: :listeningmusic:

Back