The New Tone Thread

Ok, been messing with the lower gain tubes in the EVH, & I've found that V3 affects the red channel more than I care for with a lower gain tube...So, what I've got in it now is:

V1: 12AX7, V2: 12AU7, V3: 5751, V4: 12AU7

I've tried about every combination possible, & what's in there now seems to be what I liked best out of 'em all...The 5751 isn't a whole lot less gain, just enough to take off what I thought sounded best...Of course, this thing has still got gain for days, but this little tube combination seems to be a good middle ground for me, I can get the gain-y tones I like, plus I can get a pretty decent clean tone as well...

Signal chain: SG > EVH LBX > EVH Greenback > i5

Amp settings:
15w mode

Blue channel, then red channel
Resonance:.........2
Gain:.......................5
Bass:......................5
Middle:...................4
Treble:...................7
Volume:.................5
Presence:.............6

EVH 12AU7 Test 10-4-2016

Here's a clip with the same settings (only used the blue channel), with the gain on 2 or so, it's not totally clean, but I like it because it gets a little diry if I play harder...Please forgive the sloppy ass playing...

EVH Clean 10-4-2016

Lemme know what you guys think...

Ok, been messing with the lower gain tubes in the EVH, & I've found that V3 affects the red channel more than I care for with a lower gain tube...So, what I've got in it now is:

V1: 12AX7, V2: 12AU7, V3: 5751, V4: 12AU7

I've tried about every combination possible, & what's in there now seems to be what I liked best out of 'em all...The 5751 isn't a whole lot less gain, just enough to take off what I thought sounded best...Of course, this thing has still got gain for days, but this little tube combination seems to be a good middle ground for me, I can get the gain-y tones I like, plus I can get a pretty decent clean tone as well...

Signal chain: SG > EVH LBX > EVH Greenback > i5

Amp settings:
15w mode

Blue channel, then red channel
Resonance:.........2
Gain:.......................5
Bass:......................5
Middle:...................4
Treble:...................7
Volume:.................5
Presence:.............6

EVH 12AU7 Test 10-4-2016

Here's a clip with the same settings (only used the blue channel), with the gain on 2 or so, it's not totally clean, but I like it because it gets a little diry if I play harder...Please forgive the sloppy ass playing...

EVH Clean 10-4-2016

Lemme know what you guys think...

Sounds pretty good to me. Seems like the amp is more controllable than before. The red channel is gainy but tight. The "clean" sounds a little stiff, but you could probably get that better with some tweaking. Overall those lower gain tubes make a good difference to me.

Sounds pretty good to me. Seems like the amp is more controllable than before. The red channel is gainy but tight. The "clean" sounds a little stiff, but you could probably get that better with some tweaking. Overall those lower gain tubes make a good difference to me.

Thanks man, I like this little amp with the lower gain tubes...It's way more controllable even on the red channel, which I've come to learn, is almost a different amp compared to the blue channel...It's a little lower in volume, & the highs are more present...I learned that V3 is somehow connected/controls the red channel, I had a low gain tube in that slot, & it had about the same amount of gain or maybe a tad less than the blue channel....Another one of my "happy accidents"...:)

The clean is a little stiff, but I honestly don't think this amp is capable of a true clean tone, so I'll probably be on the hunt before too much longer...I can make this work, but I'd still like to have a true clean tone here...

Something I've noticed with this amp is the tubes get hot, seems a bit more than the other amps I've had...Might just be me, but these things get hot in this little amp...

Yeah man, are you in direct line-of-fire where you're at? The forecasts have been ominous. Haiti and the Bahamas got bitch-slapped by Matthew. Florida is all lit up in red on all of the maps I've seen.

What's the consensus for traveling with guitars in hard shell cases a long distance? Better laying flat horizontal or case on its edge horizontal? Im guessing it doesnt matter too much but Ive never been told one way or the other so that's why Im asking.

What's the consensus for traveling with guitars in hard shell cases a long distance? Better laying flat horizontal or case on its edge horizontal? Im guessing it doesnt matter too much but Ive never been told one way or the other so that's why Im asking.

I don't think that it matters. If it's going to get jostled around a lot, then you can pad it with some packing paper inside the case. But if its just going to ride in your back seat, then I wouldn't worry about it. I've had a few guitars shipped to me over the years via UPS, and they always show up in one piece, and think of the abuse they suffer while in the hands of the average parcel service dude! :)

Put it in it's case and don't worry about it. It's a guitar, not an egg shell sculpture of Jesus. If your guitar fits in the case properly you have nothing to worry about.

my 66 strat fell out of a pickup truck doing 45 mph on a dirt road. It screwed the case up but the guitar wasn't harmed a bit.

my 66 strat fell out of a pickup truck doing 45 mph on a dirt road. It screwed the case up but the guitar wasn't harmed a bit.

I know a guy that had an SG, in it's case, fall out of his truck on the freeway. Everyone knows the SG is probably the most fragile guitar ever made, and his was just fine. It's actually a miracle he got it back because he didn't know it had fallen out until he got home. Five million people in Houston and his guitar was found by the one honest person in this city.

Folks, I've tried to sort out guitars on my latest track. I've ended up with a pair of open chord tracks, a pair of old E & A string power chord tracks and a pair using the chords shapes Greg showed me for the intro and chorus. Just Bruno single Humbucker loaded Sheraton II for the open chords, Bruno single coil guitar for the new shapes as well as for the Power chords.
Here is the intro, V1 & C1 three times. Each has a different combo of tracks. Which sounds more worthwhile using 1st, 2nd or 3rd? It's a bout a minute for each version and there's a brief pause between.

Lt Bob, Pirates rarely survive Hurricanes that originate in the Caribbean so I think you'll be right with the cancellations - unless they are in evac centres. Take care you folk on the south eastern end of things.

Ray, I think they all sound better than any previous versions of this. I think my personal favourite was the third one - you seemed to be doing a bit less on the rhythm playing during the intro and letting the guitars ring out a bit more. I do like the guitar tone though - how many do you have playing at a time? It does sound like quite a lot to me and you could maybe do with thinning it out a bit, might just be the way you've mixed it though - my ears aren't that great for stuff like that.

You've got rid of the slightly out of tune major over minor chords you had before though.

Back