writing lyrics with lots of "i/me/you/we"

Lol. Hey he did bag a young Gwen Stefani. He did at least one thing right.

He was also shagging a bloke for much of the 80s so maybe he has lead a more interesting life than I first realised. I just assumed he was a middle-class music student playing at being a grunge musician.

He was also shagging a bloke for much of the 80s so maybe he has lead a more interesting life than I first realised. I just assumed he was a middle-class music student playing at being a grunge musician.

I never thought they were "grunge". Were they? I always considered them just another radio-friendly 90s rock band.

I never thought they were "grunge". Were they? I always considered them just another radio-friendly 90s rock band.

Ah, I always thought they were consciously trying to look and sound like Nirvana. Got to admit though, I didn't know anything about them until I read that wiki after I posted it. I own one of their albums from the late 90s and quite like some of it. They do sound a bit contrived though.

Ah, I always thought they were consciously trying to look and sound like Nirvana. Got to admit though, I didn't know anything about them until I read that wiki after I posted it. I own one of their albums from the late 90s and quite like some of it. They do sound a bit contrived though.
I don't know. From what I remember of them they sounded nothing like Nirvana, nor did I get the impression they were trying to. I thought they were a lot more "pop" rock. They were tailor-made for mid-90s radio. They were Nickelback before there was a Nickelback. I think that's sort of part of the lineage of the grunge branch of the rock and roll tree. 1950s birth of rock and roll > British invasion > Punk > 80s "alternative" > Grunge > 90s mainstream rock (Bush) > Nickelback > death of music.

LOL, sounds like a bit of a Bowie impression!

Hahaha, it does. I spent an inordinate amount of time on that stupid gag, but it was fun. And I realized part-way through that it was one of the melodies from Ashes to Ashes. Oh well, at least the lyrics are amazing :D

I think one thing that we can all agree upon: the runaway popularity of Bush was an awful period for music. I remember when they dominated the airwaves in the mid-late 90s. After them, it was Matchbox 20, which ushered in a new wave of awful pop chart domination. And years later, Matchbox 20 did that album with Santana and department store shopping would never be the same.

I think one thing that we can all agree upon: the runaway popularity of Bush was an awful period for music.
I do agree with you, but I don't think Bush were that bad. The era of music was terrible though - it was all about trying to be the next big "grunge" superstar without any real attitude... this was summed up perfectly by Nickelback. There was another one too that I can't remember the name of though. They were terrible.

EDIT. Puddle of fucking Mudd.

I think one thing that we can all agree upon: the runaway popularity of Bush was an awful period for music. I remember when they dominated the airwaves in the mid-late 90s. After them, it was Matchbox 20, which ushered in a new wave of awful pop chart domination. And years later, Matchbox 20 did that album with Santana and department store shopping would never be the same.

For me there was one definitive point where shit really hit the fan - Hootie and the Blowfish. I wasn't a fan of any grunge bands in particular, but I could tolerate them blasting through the shop radio as I worked all day. AIC, STP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, I was fine with all of that crap. And then more interesting stuff that had been around but never noticed by mainstream USA started getting recognition. Butthole Surfers, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Social Distortion, Bad Religion, even my beloved Ramones finally got radio play. Ramones and Bad Religion on the radio? Fuck yeah. Great. That was all good. But then Hootie infiltrated the programming, and that was that.

I do agree with you, but I don't think Bush were that bad. The era of music was terrible though - it was all about trying to be the next big "grunge" superstar without any real attitude... this was summed up perfectly by Nickelback. There was another one too that I can't remember the name of though. They were terrible.

EDIT. Puddle of fucking Mudd.

Most, hell, all of those late 90s post-whatever one-name bands were shit. Tool, Korn, Staind, Rust, Fuel, Crud, Creed, whatever. It was garbage. It was so bad it went hand in hand with nu-metal chiming in too. All of the good that grunge did to kill hair glam spandex rock was undone by the mid-scooped Mesa-fueled postrock Nickelback bands. Blech. That was the true death of rock and roll in the mainstream. It's only slightly recovered in the form of "indie" wimp rock.

Most, hell, all of those late 90s post-whatever one-name bands were shit. Tool, Korn, Staind, Rust, Fuel, Crud, Creed, whatever. It was garbage. It was so bad it went hand in hand with nu-metal chiming in too. All of the good that grunge did to kill hair glam spandex rock was undone by the mid-scooped Mesa-fueled postrock Nickelback bands. Blech. That was the true death of rock and roll in the mainstream. It's only slightly recovered in the form of "indie" wimp rock.

Tool are pretty good. I agree about the rest of them though - all completely shite. There was one who's name was even taken from an AIC song.

For me there was one definitive point where shit really hit the fan - Hootie and the Blowfish. I wasn't a fan of any grunge bands in particular, but I could tolerate them blasting through the shop radio as I worked all day. AIC, STP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, I was fine with all of that crap. And then more interesting stuff that had been around but never noticed by mainstream USA started getting recognition. Butthole Surfers, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Social Distortion, Bad Religion, even my beloved Ramones finally got radio play. Ramones and Bad Religion on the radio? Fuck yeah. Great. That was all good. But then Hootie infiltrated the programming, and that was that.

Yeah I discovered Bad Religion in 1992... when I was 12!

Ugh yes, Hootie and the Blowfish. They were unavoidable for sooooo long. They were a living, breathing GAP commercial. The soundtrack for drinking Bud Light while wearing jorts and penny loafers. It's hardly a coincidence that I stopped listening to the radio at about that same time. It wasn't too long after that that Napster came along and showed everybody the whole spectrum of music we'd all been missing out on due to the outrageous expense of a $20 CD. I haven't stolen music for years, but if it weren't for that period of time, I wouldn't know about 90% of the bands that I love today. Of course it's all indie wimp rock, but hey, we've all got our things :D

Tool are pretty good. I agree about the rest of them though - all completely shite. There was one who's name was even taken from an AIC song.

I know I'm in the minority on Tool. They're very respected. I don't respect them, but I can appreciate that they shouldn't really be lumped in with Korn and Creed.

I know I'm in the minority on Tool. They're very respected. I don't respect them, but I can appreciate that they shouldn't really be lumped in with Korn and Creed.

I've seen Tool live a few times too, they're really good and actually play well and sound good.

Ugh yes, Hootie and the Blowfish. They were unavoidable for sooooo long. They were a living, breathing GAP commercial. The soundtrack for drinking Bud Light while wearing jorts and penny loafers. It's hardly a coincidence that I stopped listening to the radio at about that same time. It wasn't too long after that that Napster came along and showed everybody the whole spectrum of music we'd all been missing out on due to the outrageous expense of a $20 CD. I haven't stolen music for years, but if it weren't for that period of time, I wouldn't know about 90% of the bands that I love today. Of course it's all indie wimp rock, but hey, we've all got our things :D

I remember the last time I listened to the radio regularly - I was doing my MSc and listened to the radio when I was delivering Chinese takeaways around the city. They had a good show on later at night on the BBC with a guy called Steve Lamaq

I've seen Tool live a few times too, they're really good and actually play well and sound good.

For me, with them, it's just about songs. I don't like that style of dark slow angsty hard rock verging on metal. Totally uninteresting to me.

For me, with them, it's just about songs. I don't like that style of dark slow angsty hard rock verging on metal. Totally uninteresting to me.

Ah, I like that dark, slow grind that they do and think he's a good singer. I understand that its not for everyone though. I do find they get a bit samey after a while though.

Back