1 guitar, multiple amps preamps

guitz

What do you guys use if you have , say, your one electric guitar and you have multiple amps and preamps and would like to be able to plug into a single point and switch between them all without having to re-patch everthing?...Sort of a mixer in reverse...instead of multiple inputs and a pair of outputs, I need 1 input (for the guitar) and about 5-10 outputs to switch between , depending on what amp/preamp sound I want.....I've seen 3 way footswitch selectors, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a footswitch.....a rackable box/switch would be ideal...

5-10? That seems a bit crazy to me. Are you looking to do this in real time or just a easy way to patch between the inputs of your DAW?

I use a Radial ABY to switch between/or combine two amps from one guitar input. Not sure how one would or why one would try to do that with 5-10 amps or inputs.

If you indeed have 10 options, I suppose you could just wire up a patchbay to make your life easier. Typical 3 way footswitch is not going to do anything for you.

If this is for 5-10 amps or whatever, I assume you know you will need 5-10 mic setups and an interface with as many inputs to even make this possible.

You can just build a simple splitter box if you only need to use one amp or whatever at any given time. You will run in to issues when running a split signal from guitar into multiple amps. I wonder though why you find it tough to plug in to another amp if you do not intend to use multiples at once.

Please elaborate. :)

5-10? That seems a bit crazy to me. Are you looking to do this in real time or just a easy way to patch between the inputs of your DAW?

I use a Radial ABY to switch between/or combine two amps from one guitar input. Not sure how one would or why one would try to do that with 5-10 amps or inputs.

If you indeed have 10 options, I suppose you could just wire up a patchbay to make your life easier. Typical 3 way footswitch is not going to do anything for you.

If this is for 5-10 amps or whatever, I assume you know you will need 5-10 mic setups and an interface with as many inputs to even make this possible.

You can just build a simple splitter box if you only need to use one amp or whatever at any given time. You will run in to issues when running a split signal from guitar into multiple amps. I wonder though why you find it tough to plug in to another amp if you do not intend to use multiples at once.

Please elaborate. :)

I have a Rockman Sustainor, a Roland micro-cube with recording outs, a Peavey tube amp head with 4X10 cabinet, an older Pod, two small combo amps , and possibly soon an Ampli Fire preamp box....very different sounding devices and I like to experiment with quickly auditioning them for what may work best for a track/recording etc....So I thought a permanent setup where I could quickly switch between them all would be the way to go, to avoid having to repatch everything, or repatch that would require completely unhooking/re-hooking stuff up every time I wanted to change.....the patchbay idea is kind of what I was thinking too...Plus, it's just a great thing to instantly sit down in my studio and flip between these radically different sounds for writing/recording/jamming/noodling,etc at the touch of a switch or as you mentioned , possibly just re-plugging a short patch bay cable...any output from the devices that have speakers and thus requiring a mic would go into a small mixer or possibly a rackmount line mixer , into the two single mic/line inputs on my interface...

Hi Guitz. I know of no commercial device that will split/switch that many ways.

In principle such a device is an easy build. A high impedance op amp input for the guitar and then a following buffer stage with switches per output.
The problem in practice however is that you will be combining the earths/ground connections of the many and various devices and will probably finish up with the Mother of all hum loops!

There ARE ways to avoid the hum, an isolating transformer per OP would be best but very expensive. There are other, cheaper ways but you would need a good tech to sort it all for you.

Dave.

A patch bay would work. Easy enough to hook up. I'm assuming you dont have a huge space so cable runs requiring radial boxes wouldn't be needed most likely.
I've set this up before. No problems, all inputs are at arms length from your desk.
You'd still have to go over to each amplification device to turn it on and mic it. But, once you were dialed in. It wouldn't be a big deal. Mics could be always set up and tones dialed in.

You can try something like this: Radial JD7 Injector? - Signal Distribution Amplifier

Though IMHO, for studio work where there are not many real-time switching needs...the whole beauty of trying different things is that you take the time to experiment.
I mean...once you set up your bunch of amps effects...don't you plan on changing the settings at some point...or will you always use the same settings for everything and just switch between them...?

I don't see a real need to spend the time setting up a bunch of amps and FX...and then needing to rapidly switch between them as you play...in a studio/recording environment.
You record a track....make some changes...record another...make some more changes....etc...etc...and then you sit down an leisurely listen to each of the tracks to see what works and what doesn't...at least that's how most people do it, but YMMV...

A patch bay would work. Easy enough to hook up. I'm assuming you dont have a huge space so cable runs requiring radial boxes wouldn't be needed most likely.
I've set this up before. No problems, all inputs are at arms length from your desk.
You'd still have to go over to each amplification device to turn it on and mic it. But, once you were dialed in. It wouldn't be a big deal. Mics could be always set up and tones dialed in.

Got that covered too...all devices go into a rackmounted power supply , so they all come on with a flick of the switch and I even have an AC footswitch pedal from Harbor Freight I can use to turn that and a pedal board on. Instant go.

Last edited:
I don't see a real need to spend the time setting up a bunch of amps and FX...and then needing to rapidly switch between them as you play

Oh I VERY much do...You can very clearly and almost instantly hear what works and sits better in a mix as you're tracking when you can flip between them near instantly and spare yourself having to record them one at a time, plus, I do things very spontaneously ..one second I want to have a Boston sound, and before even finishing that, I get inspired to flip to a another project with a specific sound that only another box can give me...not being encumbered to have to stop, repatch another amp/preamp is a beautiful thing and it's very much a boon to the songwriting process as well, which with a DAW kind of gets blurred and integrated into the tracking and mixing since everything resides in the same software project that starts off as a sketch/rough draft and gets written and tweaked and mixed into the final result as I go..

Hold up,
Surely you just need a 2p10t switch and a bunch of 1/4" sockets or, as someone said, just use a patchbay. :)

Yes, he could switch hot and cold and avoid hum loops but it could be a right old rat's nest. I thought of a batch bay but does he not want instant, A/B comparisons?
Even the switch system could produce some err, "interesting" thumps and bangs unless the DC conditions are sorted!

Dave.

Yes, he could switch hot and cold and avoid hum loops but it could be a right old rat's nest. I thought of a batch bay but does he not want instant, A/B comparisons?
Even the switch system could produce some err, "interesting" thumps and bangs unless the DC conditions are sorted!

Dave.

Yeah, it certainly could, especially since the amps are going to be on and turned up I guess. :eek:
If it was all done in a little project box it'd be as neat as any other solution. Finding a suitable switch could be fun, though.

I'd go with a patchbay. Not instant A/B but what are we talking about...1 second comparison delay and zero work?

Oh I VERY much do...You can very clearly and almost instantly hear what works and sits better in a mix as you're tracking when you can flip between them near instantly and spare yourself having to record them one at a time, plus, I do things very spontaneously ..one second I want to have a Boston sound, and before even finishing that, I get inspired to flip to a another project with a specific sound that only another box can give me...not being encumbered to have to stop, repatch another amp/preamp is a beautiful thing and it's very much a boon to the songwriting process as well, which with a DAW kind of gets blurred and integrated into the tracking and mixing since everything resides in the same software project that starts off as a sketch/rough draft and gets written and tweaked and mixed into the final result as I go..

If you know your gear you won't need to do mess with all of this craziness. Just use the guitar/amp/cab that you know will work for what you need to do.

Maybe I missed it, but how many cabs will you be using? That's a lot of mics too. Not to mention a lot of mic placement. You might be working against yourself since speed is your main consideration. You could pass over the perfect amp or cab simply because you don't have it miked well.

I'm thinking about doing something like this myself. Not because I'm racing to audition everything I have for every mix, but more because I don't always wanna reach behind all of my amps and cabs just to switch them around. I want a multiple amp head/multiple cab switcher. I don't know if one exists.

I'm thinking about doing something like this myself. Not because I'm racing to audition everything I have for every mix, but more because I don't always wanna reach behind all of my amps and cabs just to switch them around. I want a multiple amp head/multiple cab switcher. I don't know if one exists.

as good a reason as any! Me, I love THAT idea but also....I really don't know what MIGHT work best for any given situation...sure, I know in my HEAD beforehand what each device can do, but you can never really be certain how it will work in a mix until..as I like to do...you jam along with your framework of a tune and listen...then flip to another device ...listen...then flip to another device...listen...then stop that project altogether...switch to the combo amp for some basic Fendery MIC'd clean with a possible combo of an additional permanently opposite wall mounted boundary mic for some nice room reflections to blend in, when inspiration hits (it's also all about the ergonomics of the whole process of sitting in my home studio , with all the instant options to record/write/jam at any given second without setup and teardown...all going to the aforementioned small mixer...I'm thinking this could be a very great thing...using only one device, yea you can kinda sorta can get a great variety of sounds ( I had a Kemper at one time), but not to the depth that completely radically different devices can give you , ala a mic'd cabinet one instant versus a dialed up modeler the next second will give you versus my secret weapon microcube ;)....patchbay sounds like the clear winner for 1 in, multiple out the way I want to do this....

Last edited:
Something that does not get enough mention in the recording scene IMHO. The wireless mains switch?

You don't really want 6 amps a'cookin' when you find the sweetspot? (especially since Greg has to call the local power station if he wants all his on, or just a few!) .

You could even have a relay system that routed the powered up amp into the setup!

Dave.

....patchbay sounds like the clear winner for 1 in, multiple out the way I want to do this....

I'm not fully understanding what all it is you are wanting to connect...you seem to be talking more in theories than specific signal chains...but if you are talking multiple tube heads switching to one cab or two....a patchbay will be tricky, since you always want to mantain the load on the amps...so when you switch with PB...you don't have that option.
A patchbay could work for other things though.

Anyway...you'll find a working situation, I'm sure....though I personally am not a fan of "presets", unless I was always going to use the same few settings/sounds for all my recordings, which might work if I was doing the same kind of stuff over and over.
I think part of the joy of recording is discovery, which is what fuels inspiration. Even a nudge on a tone dial or a volume knob can make a huge difference...so I'm just not seeing how you can decide on the 6-7-8 go to signal chain presets in advance to switch between...?...but again, find the rig that works for you. :)

as good a reason as any! Me, I love THAT idea but also....I really don't know what MIGHT work best for any given situation...sure, I know in my HEAD beforehand what each device can do, but you can never really be certain how it will work in a mix until..as I like to do...you jam along with your framework of a tune and listen...then flip to another device ...listen...then flip to another device...listen...then stop that project altogether...switch to the combo amp for some basic Fendery MIC'd clean with a possible combo of an additional permanently opposite wall mounted boundary mic for some nice room reflections to blend in, when inspiration hits (it's also all about the ergonomics of the whole process of sitting in my home studio , with all the instant options to record/write/jam at any given second without setup and teardown...all going to the aforementioned small mixer...I'm thinking this could be a very great thing...using only one device, yea you can kinda sorta can get a great variety of sounds ( I had a Kemper at one time), but not to the depth that completely radically different devices can give you , ala a mic'd cabinet one instant versus a dialed up modeler the next second will give you versus my secret weapon microcube ;)....patchbay sounds like the clear winner for 1 in, multiple out the way I want to do this....

Well I don't wanna switch on-the-fly. I don't care about that. I just want a box in between the amps and cabs so I don't have to go behind my wall of awesomeness to switch amps and cabs.

"I just want a box in between the amps and cabs so I don't have to go behind my wall of awesomeness to switch amps and cabs. " Ok Greg but are all the cabs the same impedance*? If not that is perhaps a complication.

However for cabs/amps: Bring all the amp outs to a row of jacks** and all the speakers to another row. Could be like a patch bay, one atop the other or could be two separate boxes.
Patch jack lead to select amp to speaker...Sorted!

Do the same for the amp inputs. Collect them all up in a box with jacks (labelled.."Mayhem One. Richter 8" and so on) plug guitar into desired input.
NB this will add a bit of capacitance to the amp's input but unless the cables are waaaay long, doubt you will notice.

*Peeps get unnecessary twitchy about this. A 2 to 1 mismatch will do no harm. an amp set to 4 Ohms on a 16R speaker is still safe but not if you are driving its bllx off perhaps.

Arrange these jacks to short the line by default. Amps are pretty bombproof into a short (might blow a fuse) This assumes Greg that you have no Transistorized amps?

Can draw this up if required.

Dave.

The real problem with both a patchbay and a "simple" 2p10t switch (where you gonna find that?) is that all of these high impedance inputs are going to be left with open cables hanging out of them at all times. The amp will probably buzz like a bitch depending on time of day, positions of planets, where you put your cell phone. All of the other devices also will buzz and hum, but you can just turn them down at the mixer.

You could get a modular patchbay and hope it has switching jacks and then wire those switches to short when nothing is inserted, I suppose. I'm not completely sure how to do it with a switch. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not up to trying to draw it out right now.

"I just want a box in between the amps and cabs so I don't have to go behind my wall of awesomeness to switch amps and cabs. " Ok Greg but are all the cabs the same impedance*? If not that is perhaps a complication.

However for cabs/amps: Bring all the amp outs to a row of jacks** and all the speakers to another row. Could be like a patch bay, one atop the other or could be two separate boxes.
Patch jack lead to select amp to speaker...Sorted!

Do the same for the amp inputs. Collect them all up in a box with jacks (labelled.."Mayhem One. Richter 8" and so on) plug guitar into desired input.
NB this will add a bit of capacitance to the amp's input but unless the cables are waaaay long, doubt you will notice.

*Peeps get unnecessary twitchy about this. A 2 to 1 mismatch will do no harm. an amp set to 4 Ohms on a 16R speaker is still safe but not if you are driving its bllx off perhaps.

Arrange these jacks to short the line by default. Amps are pretty bombproof into a short (might blow a fuse) This assumes Greg that you have no Transistorized amps?

Can draw this up if required.

Dave.

The cabs are all the same impedance - 16 ohm. No SS amps. All tube.

Turning things on and off and plugging in the guitar to amp is no problem. I'm not that lazy. :D

Actually I can already do this on a smaller scale with my attenuator. It has two speaker outs and one amp input. I can swap amps and cabs at the attenuator. If I put the attenuator near my desk, and get 8 long speaker cables, I'll be in business. A cable from each head (5), a cable from each cab (3), label them all at the attenuator end, route them like a snake towards my desk, and I can just plug and play each head and cab at the attenuator. Woohoo!

I'm not fully understanding what all it is you are wanting to connect...you seem to be talking more in theories than specific signal chains...but if you are talking multiple tube heads switching to one cab or two....a patchbay will be tricky, since you always want to mantain the load on the amps...so when you switch with PB...you don't have that option.

The tube amp head , two combo amps, and all pre-amp level devices would all have a cable going into their respective input jacks and the other end of those cables would go into the backside of the patch bay....the amp head would then have it's output jack ran to the cabinet input , nothing unusual ...as you would any other scenario...I have a couple SM-57's and other mics to put in front of anything with a speaker, those would go into the mixer , as would the preamp level devices and from there to recording interface.....the real great thing for me, would be that all these very different sounds would be quickly patchable at the patch bay, not on the fly fast but close enough..I don't need on the fly either, but I know how I am, and when an idea takes hold in my brain sound and notewise, I have to act fast or it's gone LOL ...it would be like simply moving each amp/preamps input jack into my rack , which is at arms reach at my desk. Great!

I just had another nutty idea.....since my speaker cabinet for the amp head and two small amps are several feet away, what if I could yank the electronic guts out of the two amps, fabricate a rackable panel and mount the amp guts into a 2 or 3 space rack chassis (I've studied electronics, so know what would need to be done) ...use my drill press to accommodate the panel front for potentiometers, switches/etc, then run cables from the new chassis to what's left of the cabinet (small amps can record so great, so I would want to keep the speaker and box in tact for that , sans amp) , then I would have the amp controls at arms reach in the rack but the speakers far enough away to crank without killing my ears if I so choose, mic'd up and selectable via patchbay and then simply bring that fader up if I want to record it....the amp head is a small form factor tube king that sounds great...it's small enough to sit in the rack as well, on a shelf maybe...so all guitar sound options are right there, at hand...

Last edited:
Back