"studio" pic

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
"studio" pic

Alright, dudes.

As you know I need a totally mobile set up for recording. Check out this shambolic mess... I did find a use for the Boss HM2 though.

image.jpg

---------- Update ----------

Unfortunately, that's what constitutes a "studio" for me these days!

Whatever works JDude. I would surmise a better part of our participants here have 'studios' that are works in progress.

lol, my vocal booth is the biggest joke. I should get some pictures for you later. It is literally just old sleeping bags thrwon up over some old bifold doors i found in my house.

Purpose served. HAHA

Lol....well man, I can't say much as my music room is always a mess, but, I can give you some advice on the Boss HM-2 pedal, take it & trade it for a little mic stand, that's obviously something you need, Jdude.....It might even help with your mic placement ya know???:D But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do man.....

Dude, it's about all you need right there. A mic stand might help, like miner said, but i'd almost look around and see if there are any mods for the HM-2 that make it more useable. If it's a small change, a few diodes or an opamp, it won't cost much in parts and won't take long to DIY either. Just a thought... Of course, if it's serving you well as a mic stand then so be it! :D

I do have a mic stand in my other house where my amp has its own shelf! I know exactly where the mic needs to be pointing so it's all good.

This is how I've been recording guitars lately. Amp is in a hallway right at the edge of a stair that looks out over an open lower room. The direct sound flies out away from the walls close by. I'm in a room around the corner with the door closed. With a smaller amp like this Trace Elliot Velocette, I can listen through the studio monitors. For the bigger ones, I put on headphones and get no bleed. Good sounding little amp.

20160104_153356_1.jpg

Alright, dudes.

As you know I need a totally mobile set up for recording. Check out this shambolic mess... I did find a use for the Boss HM2 though.

View attachment 95902

---------- Update ----------

Unfortunately, that's what constitutes a "studio" for me these days!

How about a little folding table for the laptop. Might save your back!

To be honest, if I had a little mic stand then the Blackstar would sit on top of the Peavey which is currently on the floor behind it and the laptop would normally sit on top of the sofa to the left. I've actually just given away the HM-2. The mic now sits on top of a book, a mobile phone case and a pair of binoculars.

Seems to suit me though - I get repeatable results in differing locations.

How important is room treatment really if you're just close micing with a single dynamic?

How important is room treatment really if you're just close micing with a single dynamic?

thats a good question i'd like an answer too. But i suspect there is quite a bit difference. Like my Amp Cab is set up in an very long empty room. I have my speaker sweet spot taped off on the grill cloth and i mic right onto the grill cloth, BUT, when i move the cab around the room i do in fact hear subtle differences in each set up. And i do have the volume up loaud enough that you'd think it shouldn't make a difference.

It usually is in the lows and low mids i hear the differences in. I assume becasue of where in the room the low end build up is piling up? Maybe? i Don't know? thats my best guess.

this might be a fun experiment to demonstrate in the tone thread. I have a free saturday this weekend so i might go trhough all this for you to hear.

I could hear a slight difference in my mic'd tones after I put some treatment in my room, the change I heard was more in the high/high-mids, before I put the treatment up, you could hear just a slight room sound, & after, it wasn't completely gone, just not as prominent. The room is painted drywall, and is very reflective, so it obviously tamed it down (the panels made a huge difference in just listening to stuff through my monitors in that room, it was pretty astonishing the difference it made to me)...I don't have any bass-traps though, so I can't comment whether that'd make a difference (I'm sure it would have some differences though..)...

That would be cool. Close miced with a 57. Will be interesting to compare the differences. I suspect they'll only be slight. Bet it would be obvious if you added a distant condenser in there too. That's a much more difficult set up to replicate exactly though unless you very carefully measure things out.

Yea you are right, the differences were minute but you could notice it for sure.

I haven't really had the best luck at all micing a cab with a condensor mic ever. I have two different Condensors and i find the recorded tones to be quite shirll. But i have only ever tried the top two speakers. I am thinking if i backed the mic off a few feet and put it lower so it was capturing the bottom two speakers maybe it would get less shrill and bit more meaty? But again, i just sort of gave up on them and stuck with a close up 57.

I've never had much luck with any of my condenser mics either Shan. Something you might try is use your '57 for the high end, & put a condenser toward the edge of the speaker for the chunk, then blend 'em to taste...But your condenser mic(s) might not handle the SPL's your dynamic mic(s) will either, none of my condenser mics will handle the SPL's my cab puts out when I get it wound up moving some air, which to me is the whole point of mic'ing it up to begin with, so I just use my dynamic mics...

I've never had much luck with any of my condenser mics either Shan. Something you might try is use your '57 for the high end, & put a condenser toward the edge of the speaker for the chunk, then blend 'em to taste...But your condenser mic(s) might not handle the SPL's your dynamic mic(s) will either, none of my condenser mics will handle the SPL's my cab puts out when I get it wound up moving some air, which to me is the whole point of mic'ing it up to begin with, so I just use my dynamic mics...

Thats actually a really good idea. Why didn't i ever think of that?? Moving them to the meatier sections of my cab. God dammit. That's why i love this forum. I was just micing with bot mics to kind of capture the best possible tone with both.

As far as handlng the SPL's i got that covered. My buddy made me a SRS diy punk rock attneuator from scartch and it works SOOOO good. -20 db everytime.

Check it out.

EizM0UY.png

I think total cost to make that was like 12 bucks.

I have that exact same laptop... got it last year at Microcenter on sale. I only use it for recording. It works great and i can run my DAW, Superior Drummer, a virtual instrument track, and multiple instances of ReCabinet and Lepou (plus reverbs and EQ etc) before it starts slowing down. working good for you?

Cool Shan, what are the parts involved in making that bad-boy anyway???

If I could pad my condenser mics down, I could probably use 'em on my cab, the reason I don't is because by the time I get my amp loud enough to get "that" tone, it clips the mic(s), even if the pre-amp gain on my interface is all the way off...

Cool Shan, what are the parts involved in making that bad-boy anyway???

If I could pad my condenser mics down, I could probably use 'em on my cab, the reason I don't is because by the time I get my amp loud enough to get "that" tone, it clips the mic(s), even if the pre-amp gain on my interface is all the way off...

Yep, both of mine do the same thing. they clip and got really really nasty.

I orginally looked at something like this but buddy was like, hell no, i can make that, it's basic electronics.

I honestly do not know what parts are in it. I sat there and had a beer while he worked on it took him about an hour or so. He is really into that stuff. It's impressive as hell. I can ask him if you want? All i know is he and his coworker found the schematics on google and then built it out of stuff they had laying around. I had to pay for those male and female XLR ends.

I just plug that into my interface and then connect my mic cable to and it just does it's thing. it isn't ergonomic and takes up room on my desk but it's a great little piece of gear and a wonderful conversation piece.

I am totally going to try the darker areas of my cab with it. I think it'll sound amazing. Still can't beleive i didn't think of that.

Yep, both of mine do the same thing. they clip and got really really nasty.

I orginally looked at something like this but buddy was like, hell no, i can make that, it's basic electronics.

I honestly do not know what parts are in it. I sat there and had a beer while he worked on it took him about an hour or so. He is really into that stuff. It's impressive as hell. I can ask him if you want? All i know is he and his coworker found the schematics on google and then built it out of stuff they had laying around. I had to pay for those male and female XLR ends.
Yes, please do find out what's in between the XLR plugs, as I've already got some XLR ends, cable, & other shit lying around. I might be able to rig something up pretty easily....

Or, if it won't fuck up your little box, take the tape or whatever is holding the box together off, & take a couple pics so I can get an idea of what's in between the XLR ends....

I just plug that into my interface and then connect my mic cable to and it just does it's thing. it isn't ergonomic and takes up room on my desk but it's a great little piece of gear and a wonderful conversation piece.
LOL....You should see my "talkbox"....it's a set of earbuds I have taped to part of a coat hanger, which attaches to my mic stand. I send the output of a track to the earbuds (& crank up the volume on that track, which is usually an ampsim), then I put the earbuds in my mouth, & record into the mic....LOL...While it obviously won't get the low-end sounds a real talk-box will, I can actually blend that track with another & it actually sounds kinda cool....It doesn't sound like a real talkbox obviously, but it's a different effect to have in the arsenal...:facepalm:.

I am totally going to try the darker areas of my cab with it. I think it'll sound amazing. Still can't beleive i didn't think of that.
Actually, all that info is in the tone thread dude, the Gerg suggested a bunch of stuff to me when I was using the home-made ISO cab. He suggested I throw a condenser mic behind the speaker, then flip the phase in the daw....Low & behold, I had the bottom end I'd been looking for all that time using the 1w Marshall & a single 12" speaker....

Back