Free Elixir bass strings

calimoose

Elixir came to Audiofanzine and wanted to give our members a free set of the new Elixir nanoweb bass strings. I wanted to give you guys the chance as well (if only just because you need some new strings...)

If you're interested, you have to post on this AF thread. To get (and keep) the set of strings, all you have to do is test them out then post your feedback (no matter how good or bad) in that thread.

Then, one person will be picked to have a year's worth of free bass strings (3 sets, I believe).

If you need bass strings, it's worth a look

-moose

Cool! Looks like submissions are closed tho. Sad.

I'm also a fan of how 3 sets of strings is a year's worth. They know us so well!

Ya we expected lots of responses, but not 300. There's still a small chance that other people get selected, so I would still try if I were you (however unlikely that chance may be).

And a year's supply for me would be about 0.3 sets. I never change my bass strings :/

I would have gotten in line for a set...only if they made some without the condoms. :D ;)

Don't care for coated strings....but I know lot of folks like them.

That could turn out to be a lifetime supply for me. I have two basses, had one 12 years and one 5 years. Never changed the strings on either of them.

Anyone have more to say about these Elixar's? I might try a set of those.

I hear some who dont change the bass strings out, but I finally noticed how dull the bass had become on mine, a new set of bass strings was huge change in higher end and clarity. I think once a year is going to become a maintenance thing for my bass strings. Im not playing live anymore.

JDOD....12yrs!!!!! wow? I hear some people at least pull them off and boil them in water and clean them up some....12 yrs, that has to be a record.

Going on 5 years myself. Boiling them might help bring that tone back. But 12 years... :eek:

When they don't tune/intonate well, I change them. :spank: As I had a gig back in June with the bass, I thought it would be prudent to do in the weeks leading up to the gig.

I've never tried Elixer strings on an electric (do they make them?) but didn't like them on myTaylor acoustic at all.

I hear some who dont change the bass strings out, but I finally noticed how dull the bass had become on mine, a new set of bass strings was huge change in higher end and clarity. I think once a year is going to become a maintenance thing for my bass strings. Im not playing live anymore.

JDOD....12yrs!!!!! wow? I hear some people at least pull them off and boil them in water and clean them up some....12 yrs, that has to be a record.

Regarding the giveaway, in the next 1-2 weeks you'll see reviews from the testers here for the nickel nanowebs and here for stainless steel. I, myself, got some nanowebs from Elixir at Musikmesse so I'm gonna replace my strings for the first time in 2 years. I'm planning on recording the audio to show any differences. I'm gonna focus on riffs with sliding because I want to hear a lot less movement relative to my new strings if I'm gonna shell out the cash for these nanowebs myself...

I have to say, for acoustic, I am a big fan of the Elixir's. They stay pretty lively for a long time. I do think it is time to replace strings on my bass as I gear up for my next round of recording. I think I will give these strings a try.

Well, the 5 year bass, just means that I have had that guitar 5 years. My mate gave it to me, he pulled it out of his attic! They could easily be a lot older than my other bass.

---------- Update ----------

I have to say, for acoustic, I am a big fan of the Elixir's. They stay pretty lively for a long time. I do think it is time to replace strings on my bass as I gear up for my next round of recording. I think I will give these strings a try.
Just put a set of Elixiers on my martin accoustic. They sound great.

Just put a set of Elixiers on my martin accoustic. They sound great.

I have to agree. They have a nice warm tone and you can slide on them very well without squeaks (intentional sliding, not lazy playing ;) ). Nice sustain as well. Plus, did I mention they last a long time :)

I have to agree. They have a nice warm tone and you can slide on them very well without squeaks (intentional sliding, not lazy playing ;) ). Nice sustain as well. Plus, did I mention they last a long time :)

To be honest, I can't really comment on Tone. The Martin is by far the nicest accoustic I have ever owned, I bought it with shite old strings on it. Replaced them and it sounds great - but then to my ears it would probably have sounded good with cheap D'addarios on it.

---------- Update ----------

People always mention that my bass playing sounds quiet and annonymous in a mix... my shite old strings might go some way to explaining this.

People always mention that my bass playing sounds quiet and annonymous in a mix... my shite old strings might go some way to explaining this.

I have fallen in love with the bass these past few years and really think getting the bass right makes for such a great sound. Right now, my pursuit is to lock that in, so new strings and learning how to not only play the bass better, but get it to mix better. Hence new strings, I am always chasing miracles.

Try some normal flatwounds instead.

Smooth....no squeaks...great sustain....and they last a really long time if you're just playing the bass occasionally to record, which is how I use my bass.
I think the flatwounds on my main recording bass are at least 10 years old. They look and feel like new...shiny and clean, and they hold their tune and play consistently. To tell the truth, I don't even remember what brand they are its been so long since I put them on.
I have no plans to change them any time soon. I just cut a bass track the other day...they still sound real thick-n-sweet.

Now....if you play bass in a band, every day...etc....that might require a different string change schedule.

Try some normal flatwounds instead.

Smooth....no squeaks...great sustain....and they last a really long time if you're just playing the bass occasionally to record, which is how I use my bass.
I think the flatwounds on my main recording bass are at least 10 years old. They look and feel like new...shiny and clean, and they hold their tune and play consistently. To tell the truth, I don't even remember what brand they are its been so long since I put them on.
I have no plans to change them any time soon. I just cut a bass track the other day...they still sound real thick-n-sweet.

Now....if you play bass in a band, every day...etc....that might require a different string change schedule.

I think it depends on the bass sound you want. If you're all about that bass, no treble, then yeah, flatwounds are the way to go. If you're playing slap funk, or want that piano-string bass that we all wanted in the mid-'70s, prog and most metal, then definitely (imo) roundwounds are the string of choice. Do they still make bright flats, the 'half-round' strings?

And I too am a big fan of Elixirs on acoustics.

And I've got an old pos acoustic bass that sounds awesome, and I think that's mostly because it's still got the cruddy ancient strings that came on it when I got it used.

I think it depends on the bass sound you want. If you're all about that bass, no treble, then yeah...

Yup...that's what I want from bass.

I'm not doing slap-funk or '70s prog rock...or stuff where you need a 7-string bass doing all kinds of guitar-like lead lines.
I want a fat, ballsy bass sound. The threble stuff is for the guitars. :)
Shit...I could probably remove the two high strings. on my bass. I try to keep all my bass lines on the two low strings, so I can get that thick, low-end bass on most of the notes. :D

See, I came up in a time where we were trying to avoid that sound like the plague. That's what was associated with country.

Back