The New Tone Thread

So I finally got around to contributing to this thread with some tones. I'm using a '66 Fender Bassman through a 2x12 closed cab with Fender/Jensen Blue Bell clone speakers that I bought 25 years ago. The guitar is an Epi Dot that has had all electronics upgraded. The pickup is a Jeff Beck in the neck. I like the amp tone alone but I can see where the fuzz has uses. I was recently listening to Grand Funk's Closer To Home and this pedal is all over it. Anyway, I'll try to put up some other tones from different amps as I go.

66 Bassman
Normal Channel, Bright switch off
Vol 5.5
Treble 8.5
Bass 8.5

Left Channel Senn E609 (bottom speaker)
Right Channel SM 57 (top speaker)

1st pass Bassman
2nd Pass Bassman + Superfuzz position 1
3rd pass Bassman + Superfuzz position 2

No Eq or anything apllied

https://soundcloud.com/bill-l-1/bassman-superfuzz

I like that sound quite a bit.
What was the fuzz? It is a fuzz obviously .... but sounds very smooth.

An early 70's Univox Superfuzz that I got for $10 in a record store in 1982. I've only recently learned to appreciate it (and more importantly, how to use correctly to make it sing).

OT, but I always loved Closer To Home.

I suppose someday I should get off my lazy ass and put up a clip or two of my Super Fuzz.

I liked the 1st part best & 3rd/last part of that Bill, but I really didn't care for the middle part. Sounded kinda mushy/un-defined to me, but that's what I've always associated fuzz with, & is why I've never really cared for it...

That said, I bet there's countless songs that I like that used a fuzz pedal that I honestly didn't/don't know...:D.

I really wish I could find my Montgomery Ward's fuzz-wah, that was made by the same Shinn-whatever company that everybody seems to want.

It was kinda cool. Fuzz alone with two different fuzz modes, wah alone, or fuzz and wah together with the two different fuzz modes, and a tone control and one more control that I can't remember.

In about '86 my wife went to a music shop to buy me a gift. She'd heard I wanted a flanger, (flanjer), but couldn't remember correctly so asked for a flanngger, (flanger). They sent her home with an at the time AUS$600 Yamaha FX500 unit. That shopped loved her: she'd go in twice a year and came out with the FX, a Yamaha MT100 portastudio, a Roland Drum Machine, a Fender 12string acoustic, etc etc. It pays to have a bipolar missus that gift shops when on the mania cycle. Well, it pays but it also REALLY costs when the bank balance becomes known.

interesting article but my brain started to go wobbly after the third GIF. It could've been the content or the GIF or the sum of both.
I have an enhanced understanding of the flange now but not one I could pass on.

Been pissing about with a new board set up. Replaced a couple of my drive/dist pedals with other stuff and am thinking of replacing the DS1 with a chorus and maybe adding extra reverb to the end too. The spot for the new tuner is awaiting delivery of a Korg unit. What do you think?
image.jpg

Also, I have a question.

Never really been arsed with it before as I've always been happy with the sound but now I have a lot more modulation and delay going into the front of the amp than I'm used to but I know a lot of guys stick heir delay into the back of the amp. Why is this? What's difference does it make?

The order of those pedals is, cry baby, tuner (awaiting replacement), OCD, DS1, Fab Flange, Trelicopter, Echolizer.

Some delays and modulation are way too excessive for the front of the amp. The front of a tube amp amplifies the signal. A little delay can turn into a big pile of mess when ran through the preamp stage. Some pedals can do it just fine though. Tons of people ran everything in front before effects loops became more common.

Back