New Toy!

You could get some of those nifty Testors empty glass jars, the kind the car and airplane modeling crowd use. Package some up and label it as tascam touch up paint, and sell it. Could be a market.

That's an excellent idea! :)

But, what if my eq's paint condition was in a aged/faded state of hue? Then it might not match up with other folk's units and I'd end up with POed customers most likely. Also not sure where I'd source out Testors bottles and caps? Also would need to make labels too.

Hmmmm?

Cheers! :)

I have been thinking (dangerous I know) that there may be a way to reproduce the slider knobs using 3D printing? I have limited expertise in this area (none really) but I follow some model making sites and there are a lot of model makers using 3D printing to recreate models of things you can't buy.

Alan.

I have been thinking (dangerous I know) that there may be a way to reproduce the slider knobs using 3D printing? I have limited expertise in this area (none really) but I follow some model making sites and there are a lot of model makers using 3D printing to recreate models of things you can't buy.

Alan.
That thought crossed my mind too, but more so thinking how cool it would be to have my own 3D printer for occasions such as this!

Then I thought, does it make sense to spend hundred or thousands on a machine to make a $1.50 part? :D

I suppose there are companies out there who have this gizmo and would be more then happy to make me up a few for the right price. Though I am also pondering that just finding a junker GE-20B with some knobs still on it would be the cheaper way to go still. And to that path, there was a couple of them available on CL a few months back for 20 bucks...and I passed on them at the time. :facepalm:

does it make sense to spend hundred or thousands on a machine to make a $1.50 part? :D
Yes, if that $1.50 part is unobtanium. :) Not being available would make it priceless, yes?
Plus you could make lots of other stuff.

That's an excellent idea! :)

But, what if my eq's paint condition was in a aged/faded state of hue? Then it might not match up with other folk's units and I'd end up with POed customers most likely. Also not sure where I'd source out Testors bottles and caps? Also would need to make labels too.

Hmmmm?

You run risk of that with any old (vintage) paint. It all started out the same provided it came from the same batch lot, but how it was cared for and environmental conditions, UV exposure etc. will make all of the items slightly different in color. This is the risk the buyer would take and as long as they were made aware of this, they'd have no cause to bitch. Besides, it would most likely be a relatively low price, so if it wasn't a perfect match not such a big deal. Overall, I'd say a "close" color match would be better than scratches.

I'm pretty sure you can get empty bottles from Testors......I know you used to be able to.

Is your touch up paint some kind of enamel??

Yes, if that $1.50 part is unobtanium. :) Not being available would make it priceless, yes?
Plus you could make lots of other stuff.

You run risk of that with any old (vintage) paint. It all started out the same provided it came from the same batch lot, but how it was cared for and environmental conditions, UV exposure etc. will make all of the items slightly different in color. This is the risk the buyer would take and as long as they were made aware of this, they'd have no cause to bitch. Besides, it would most likely be a relatively low price, so if it wasn't a perfect match not such a big deal. Overall, I'd say a "close" color match would be better than scratches.

I'm pretty sure you can get empty bottles from Testors......I know you used to be able to.

Is your touch up paint some kind of enamel??
Yes, oil based enamel.

One other factor I just thought of. My paint doesn't contain the "fleck" content that the original does. That sort of sparkly look to the finish. I guess they have to add finely ground sand or something like that to give it that metalic sheen?

Basically, if I was to do such a project/venture, I'd want to offer customers the best possible solution and maybe also have a range of Tascam specific colors to offer beyond just the brown. There's also their cream color that used on a lot of their gear that many folks would also like to have, I imagine.

Something to think about though, for sure! :)

Still waiting to hear back from my Tascam parts buddy in Chi-Town. He's got so many odds and ends he said it might take a while... hopefully tomorrow or maybe after the weekend. I told him first preference would be 5 slider caps for the GE-20B. If can't find those then 20 caps for the TEAC GE-20 or 20 of something that is close and would fit the GE-20B. I'll let you know just as soon as I hear back.

Still waiting to hear back from my Tascam parts buddy in Chi-Town. He's got so many odds and ends he said it might take a while... hopefully tomorrow or maybe after the weekend. I told him first preference would be 5 slider caps for the GE-20B. If can't find those then 20 caps for the TEAC GE-20 or 20 of something that is close and would fit the GE-20B. I'll let you know just as soon as I hear back.

Cool and thanks for the update, Tim. :)

I'm also going to see one of my repair shop buddies today as he's close to another appointment I have. So if he does have them, I'll be sure to let you know so that your guy can call off his "archeology" project! :D

Two days later and I've got two coats of paint on the bonnet panel which also had a number of scratches on it. The only thing Photoshopped on this, beyond my normal backdrop treatment, is the rack ear replacement dress panel...which is not even close to reality most likely. I've never seen one, so I can only guess...?

The touch up paint turned out to still look a little off depending on what angle the light hits it but I'm reasonably satisfied in that it looks a bit better then before I started all this tom foolery. :D

View attachment 92625

Sweet! Your photo work is going to make Tascam want to start making this stuff again! ;)

Sweet! Your photo work is going to make Tascam want to start making this stuff again! ;)

Thanks, Tim. I'd be happy if they just decided to make some more fader caps! :D

Speaking of making stuff, I decided I would make an attempt to add some real wood trim panels and I'm half way through that process as this next image will demonstrate!

View attachment 92646

Nice! The wood sides remind me of the Teac GE-20. There's something about that warm wood feel. I swear I write better music in a studio with some wood trim here and there. It's like the way you had that wood across the top of your twin M-312 consoles. Now that I have an M-320 I'm planning to do the same thing... and get some real wood sides made for it as well. Maybe even replace the vinyl wrist rest with wood. I'm no good at woodworking though, so I'll need to have someone trick it out for me. :)

As woodworking goes, I'm far from an expert at that and especially so with the limited tools and space to use them living in an apartment. Took wood working classes back in high school and did pretty well making simpler stuff with pro grade industrial power tools. With quieter and much slower hand tools my work is on par with monkeys who can paint. :laughings:

For the moment the wood work project is stalled because I'm having trouble sourcing out the longer screws required and can't find the matching black plastic dress grommets for those illusive screws. Otherwise the other side piece is cut, sanded and oiled/strained. No way of attaching yet though. :(

3D printing is an option. When the company that I work at had that capability I printed up switch caps for my Sony APRs. The buttons are unavaiable ANYWHERE, but now I have a life time supply.

Do you know anyone in the field of Engineering. It would be short work to use a pair of calipers on one of the slider knobs and cad a stp file of it.

You have an OSH nearby? They have PLENTY of fasteners.
What does OSH stand for?

3D printing is an option. When the company that I work at had that capability I printed up switch caps for my Sony APRs. The buttons are unavaiable ANYWHERE, but now I have a life time supply.

Do you know anyone in the field of Engineering. It would be short work to use a pair of calipers on one of the slider knobs and cad a stp file of it.

I know of one guy who's in the steel industry who knows his way around autocad but there too, it would probably be way cheaper to just wait for a junker GE-20B to come along for 20 bucks then to pay for an engineer's time and materials to custom manufacture them.

Back