attention

I like the low vox but they're a bit loud.
Nice job overall.
The solo - well, you do it well but you do it often so it's lost some sparkle through familiarity - that may be unfair of me to say given the desire many have for the same guitar solo ad nauseum but there you have it.

Cool song. I like how your tunes always sound like old standards, but weirded up. I kind of agree with ray's point about the mouth trumpet - I don't know if it's a consideration you're bothered about or not, but if you were to pull these together for an album, then it might feel like overkill having these in too many songs?

On the mix, I thought there was too much presence on the guitar - I think it's spiking around 2.3kHz and it makes it a little painful/dominant. The shakers are quite bright, but I didn't think overbearingly so.

Don't be afraid of adding cream to the low end! :)

Ditch the low vocal, replace with slightly off pitch doubling -- make it sound like a crowd saying the same thing. You'll get the same stereo effect w/o having it sound too stick out-ish (that's a technical term meaning stick out-ish).

Good lope to this, bud.

I didn't find the shakers offensive in the least, but I'd probably bring the bongos up slightly.

I'm hiding and recording. I'll get back to you all at the point when I've got another version of this mix.

I'm hiding and recording. I'll get back to you all at the point when I've got another version of this mix.

Fuck you. You're just going to create a whole new song and embarrass us when we don't notice the difference. :)

Gekko, Heat, Tadpui and Brian Miller had the biggest impact on the second mix. But you know what? It's the number of people who chimed in with 'pitchy vocals' that convinced me to redo them. And while I was redoing them, I found some other stuff as well. Thanks, everyone.

Second mix up top.

Holy shit!That solo sounds awesome now! Do you like it? I think that is very cool...I didn't even know what it was at first...the whole mix of the instruments on this one is way better imo. I like the new intro and the whole thing is a little rounder and mellower sounding which is in keeping with the overall, uh, vibe?

I guess it may be just a taste thing, but I still find the low vocals to be too much. Even if performed flawlessly (which they may be, I didn't have a problem with pitchy-ness myself) they just really stand out. If it were me, and I was intent on keeping them, I'd bring them down considerably so that they could be felt, but not distinctly heard. I think the high BGVs are a little too loud too.

Still, I think mix 2 is a huge improvement, and the BGV stuff may just be a taste thing. Very nice job on this one. :)

I really like this track. I listened the other day to the old mix and was good to comment but my internet through it's toys out and wouldn't have it. So now I get the new mix to listen to.

I agree with HM above that the BGV's could come down a touch in places but that's my only "tiny" nit and that's personal preference more than anything.

Good job! It's always a pleasure hearing your stuff as it's always different. :thumbs up:

Wow, massive improvement on the new mix. New vocals sound great and that high harmony is a treat (I think there was a line around 1:16 in particular).

The new solo sounds excellent and adds some fresh colours to your palette - I'm guessing it's the old mouth trumpet fed through a load of processing.

Holy shit!That solo sounds awesome now! Do you like it? I think that is very cool...I didn't even know what it was at first...the whole mix of the instruments on this one is way better imo. I like the new intro and the whole thing is a little rounder and mellower sounding which is in keeping with the overall, uh, vibe?

I guess it may be just a taste thing, but I still find the low vocals to be too much. Even if performed flawlessly (which they may be, I didn't have a problem with pitchy-ness myself) they just really stand out. If it were me, and I was intent on keeping them, I'd bring them down considerably so that they could be felt, but not distinctly heard. I think the high BGVs are a little too loud too.

Still, I think mix 2 is a huge improvement, and the BGV stuff may just be a taste thing. Very nice job on this one. :)

Okay, I'll do it - I'll turn 'em down. I'm just so unsophisticated that when I find a new toy (on this one it was the low bvs) I turn it up to make sure it gets good and heard. Thanks very much for the idea about the lip trumpet - that was great!

I agree with HM above that the BGV's could come down a touch in places but that's my only "tiny" nit and that's personal preference more than anything.

Thanks, Mr Clean. You and Heat both mentioned the same thing, so that's why I'm going to do something about it. Good ears.

Wow, massive improvement on the new mix. New vocals sound great and that high harmony is a treat (I think there was a line around 1:16 in particular).

The new solo sounds excellent and adds some fresh colours to your palette - I'm guessing it's the old mouth trumpet fed through a load of processing.

Yup, right first time. Multed the lip trumpet part and morphed it beyond recognition with two instances of the same plugin, but with different settings. One produced the cosmic birdies, and the other the space swoops. Do you think the swoops sound too hard-panned? Thanks for listening TWICE, btw. That's so useful.

So if you're having trouble reaching a low note, go out to a noisy bar and drink and stuff and then come home and find that vocal cords have stretched and been abused enough to reach the low note easily.

Another great, quirky tune of yours. You write great stuff. For some reason, all your songs remind of "Lime in the Coconut", not in a "copying" way, just the vibe and the feel. I'll leave the nitpicking to everyone else. If I heard this on the radio, I wouldn't dissect it, I'd just enjoy it.

If it was the first song of yours that I ever heard, I wouldn't say this. But since it's at least the 4th or 5th, I have to say that I'm getting a little tired of the mouth trumpet solos. They were cute the first 3 times. now......not really. But that's just me.

Another great, quirky tune of yours. You write great stuff. For some reason, all your songs remind of "Lime in the Coconut", not in a "copying" way, just the vibe and the feel. I'll leave the nitpicking to everyone else. If I heard this on the radio, I wouldn't dissect it, I'd just enjoy it.

If it was the first song of yours that I ever heard, I wouldn't say this. But since it's at least the 4th or 5th, I have to say that I'm getting a little tired of the mouth trumpet solos. They were cute the first 3 times. now......not really. But that's just me.

Hey, thanks RAMI. Yeah, other people are getting tired of the lip trumpet too. For me, it's like Bob Dylan's harmonica - it crops up again and again when he's playing acoustic alone. I'm okay with it cuz I've done it forever, but I don't mind changing it up either. Did you listen to the second mix? The lip trumpet's unrecognizable as such.

I'm not aiming at a Nillson vibe, but if that's what I'm coming up with, I'm okay with that.

For me, it's like Bob Dylan's harmonica - it crops up again and again when he's playing acoustic alone.

OK fair enough. Looking at it that way, I can get behind that. :cool:

I'm not sure which one I listened to, and now I don''t have access to my studio, so I'll give both a listen later on.

Hm...can't put this in the first post cuz it's gone past a week.

I think the bass is a bit too loud. Whatcha think?

No, I don't think the bass is too loud. I think this is a fantastic mix. It's all there.

Man that was really good, quirky, irrelevant, fun....the mix sounds great...after hearing so many homerecorders bury their vocals yours are really out front. Crystal clear.

Okay, you guys - thanks for that. This one's done, then. Next...time to record. I record one, then I mix one, record one, mix one. A man needs something to keep him off the street at night.

I like this Dobro, as usual your vocals carry the song, I like the guitar and rhythm parts a lot. I think your vocals are always excellent, but in this case I'd like it if the lower vocals were introduced a but later maybe? Like after :43. Sorry, I know that's not really mix advice, more personal preference. The mix sounds really good. As always, I like the whimsical and kind of quasi casual yet serious nature of your songs. :)

And then I listened to mix 2....

And the mix sounds even better, and I love the spacy sound, WTF is that at 1:42? I'll tell you, it's awesome. But I still think I would like to hear it if the low vocal part was turned down in the first 43 seconds.

Feel free to ignore what I say though. I may be right, but most likely wrong.

Nice tunage all round for sure. :)

Back