Clarification

MrUserNameIV

SenselessActsOfCreation
I'd just like to know what is deemed acceptable discussion in this section. Given that I wasn't posting any racist, sexist, or homophobic material in the Cave, does this mean my posting is not something that will get me the ban hammer without modification, or should I keep my sense of humor at home?

I'd just like to know what is deemed acceptable discussion in this section. Given that I wasn't posting any racist, sexist, or homophobic material in the Cave, does this mean my posting is not something that will get me the ban hammer without modification, or should I keep my sense of humor at home?

You can talk about Jenni. I think that's a cat. That's what this place used to be called. Do you remember those days?

Really??? I am surprised. I never took you for a cat person. Dogs?? What about dogs? You like them?

Pop culture. Stick to pop culture. No poop culture. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes, so one must exercise a good measure of caution.

This is actually an excellent question. Three threads were just deleted. As far as I can tell they didn't contain any racist, sexist or homophobic material. Mostly,youtube videos, pretty tame. Certainly fell short of an all out flame war.

Reason? "This type of content" is what we are trying to do away with.

I don't think "this type of content" has been clearly defined.

This is actually an excellent question . . . I don't think "this type of content" has been clearly defined.

It is an excellent question.

Whenever people go to a church or a restaurant or a library or a sportsground or to a meeting they seem to know what the right behaviour is and adopt it accordingly. Sometimes you see a sign saying "quiet please" in a library, but you don't see such a sign in a church. Partly its because social conventions have been ingrained into people, and partly its because people can assess a situation very quickly and fit in.

So it is true that "this type of content" has not been clearly defined. But why does that matter? I don't go to a meeting and ask what kind of language is appropriate.

HR is a forum where people can exchange information about home recording. There should not be a need to describe how the exchange should take place, just as you don't need to describe how to behave in church, or a meeting. What makes HR different?

So it's a good question, but one that doesn't need an answer.

Or, if it does need an answer, why? So that people don't step over the line and get banned? Why would they even need to get near a line? If people were to get banned, it would not be by accident or mischance. It would be because they knew they were crossing the line . . . just like getting kicked out of a library for shouting.

It is an excellent question.

Whenever people go to a church or a restaurant or a library or a sportsground or to a meeting they seem to know what the right behaviour is and adopt it accordingly. Sometimes you see a sign saying "quiet please" in a library, but you don't see such a sign in a church. Partly its because social conventions have been ingrained into people, and partly its because people can assess a situation very quickly and fit in.

So it is true that "this type of content" has not been clearly defined. But why does that matter? I don't go to a meeting and ask what kind of language is appropriate.

HR is a forum where people can exchange information about home recording. There should not be a need to describe how the exchange should take place, just as you don't need to describe how to behave in church, or a meeting. What makes HR different?

So it's a good question, but one that doesn't need an answer.

Or, if it does need an answer, why? So that people don't step over the line and get banned? Why would they even need to get near a line? If people were to get banned, it would not be by accident or mischance. It would be because they knew they were crossing the line . . . just like getting kicked out of a library for shouting.

Well, as you said, lines can be variable. For example, the threshold for offensiveness in a bar would be much different than one in a church. If you walked into a church drunk, looking to pick up potential . . . ahem . . . mates, dancing provocatively to the hymns in some sort of "form fitting attire", you'd be considered something of a satan spawn . . . whereas that activity in a bar, more of "a valuable customer". I'm curious where that threshold is. If someone says that there is a rule that they will enforce, but they won't tell you what that rule is, then it's basically just a trump card they're holding to use against anyone they dislike for whatever reason. The policy, as I understand it, is to take a wild west semi-unmoderated forum full of total craziness and then funnel it into something which I've heard has to do with cats and cuddly things or at least has that connotation. That's a pretty huge jump. Is there meeting in the middle, or will I be banned for saying the poop word too many times? Like I said above, I'm not posting racist, sexist or homophobic stuff, and beyond good intentioned ribbing, I'm not harassing anyone (to my knowledge) so I'm not worried about any of that. Where's the threshold for someone like me?

Last edited:
Or, if it does need an answer, why? So that people don't step over the line and get banned? g.

I'd say that's a pretty good reason for an answer.

A church, a formal meeting and a library each have a different set of tacit codes of conduct that are only well understood because they are largely consistent for each and, as you point out, ingrained.

The tacit rules of website off topic forums vary from website to website. They are neither consistent nor ingrained into culture at large and often vary wildly according to the sensibilities of those doing the moderation. The tacit rules of an off topic forum on a website in the midst of an evolutionary pang that just eighty-sixed its main OT forum for concerns of behavior are not at all clear like a set of rules for conduct in a church.

Those who have been around long enough may remember how the old joint originally gave people fair guidance relative to what was expected of them once inside by referring in metaphor to itself as like a biker bar in its description. It isn't at all clear what the metaphor is for this place.

Hopefully, not a church! Or a library, for that matter.

In an evolving situation like this Asking why anybody would even need to get near a line that they can't even see in the first place because no one can even define it is a meaningless rhetorical question.

Hopefully, that articulates the issue a little better for you.

It seems to me that I'm being asked to define how much of an arsehole one can be before they get banned, and I'm not going to do it.

Ask instead Moresound, Bobbsy, arcaxis, rayc. or indeed, any of the 90% of HR members who seem to have no such existential difficulty in figuring it out.

It seems to me that I'm being asked to define how much of an arsehole one can be before they get banned, and I'm not going to do it.
t.

If you won't do it, then how can you be expected to moderate situations that will require you to do precisely that? That's a rhetorical question.

I'm assuming you guys are just going to play it by ear by operating under an assumption similar to the one the Supreme Court brings to the difficulty of defining pronography: "you know it when you see it."

But, there's a whole bunch of grey area out there.

When people sign up for HR, they, in doing so, accept the terms and conditions governing the site. Those Terms of Use are at the foot of every page.

See here:

https://homerecording.com/privacy.html

How much more do you need than that?

How hard is to be civil? To be respectful of your HR colleagues? To be constructive and supportive?To use your judgement wisely? To contribute to this forum which is headed with "A fun gathering place for people to talk about things other than recording"?

How hard is to be civil? To be respectful of your HR colleagues? To be constructive and supportive?To use your judgement wisely? To contribute to this forum which is headed with "A fun gathering place for people to talk about things other than recording"?
Hard as heck...hard as heck!

This is actually an excellent question. Three threads were just deleted. As far as I can tell they didn't contain any racist, sexist or homophobic material. Mostly,youtube videos, pretty tame. Certainly fell short of an all out flame war.

Reason? "This type of content" is what we are trying to do away with.

I don't think "this type of content" has been clearly defined.

Any type of content that current cave regulars want to post is bad content.

There is also information HERE in the FAQ at the top of every page.

Yeah, the rules are adhered to loosely by admin and moderators. I feel that is a good thing. We let shit slide at times depending on the situation. All of us hope that members will use their best judgment, but not everyone has the same set of morals.

Judgment is based on much more than just a violation of any rule and it is discussed between all of the mods before action is taken. Unless something is stupidly obvious to be against rules or disruptive to the site.

The rules are there as guidelines. There are exceptions to any rule. But if a member uses that to push the threshold and disrupt the community here, they will surely be dealt with in a manner that mods or admin see fit.

Totally agree. Why then do you allow some people to flame others without recourse yet others get their threads closed and warnings and stuff? Is it your judgement value or as the original question asked, is there any clarification?

I understand why you chose not address this because it ties you hands in any future action but I can promise you it it has jack all to do with churches, libraries and museums. It does have something to do with make it up as you go along and not wanting or knowing how to deal with inappropriate behavior on one hand and avoiding doing so on the other.

The best way is to be honest....:)

Back