you are not the centre of the universe

I watch these things once a week.
Makes everything that happens to you seem completely pointless. It's rather nice. No pressure.

There's one of these videos where the final stage is "your mom".

That's cool. I agree things like this does help keep you humble. I use it kind of like how you'd use 'Church.. or prayer perhaps..
Here's another one.
The Universe within 12.5 Light Years - The Nearest stars

Ironically or not.. And it's something I can't get my head around, is apparently from all observation' we are at the center of the universe! Something to do with in any direction they look they can see (detect' whatever) out distances that coincide whit the beginning of it. 13 billion light years or what ever it is?
Fuck me. I do not get that.

What meaning does, "center" have when it is in reference to an object whose dimensions are unknown in every direction?

Yeah, I guess I should have said 'center of the stars and galaxies. 'just' that little part of it

Hmm. Well I guess that's wrong too. Apparently 'It' the universe, time space and the stars are one and the same?
It's "complicated" :p
Here you go;
The Big Bang and the Expansion of the Universe
I read. I no grok :D

Last edited:
And it's something I can't get my head around, is apparently from all observation' we are at the center of the universe! Something to do with in any direction they look they can see (detect' whatever) out distances that coincide whit the beginning of it. 13 billion light years or what ever it is?
Fuck me. I do not get that.
the point is that the universe is expanding ..... BUT everything seems to be moving away from everything else, i.e., there's no center at all. Most of the things I've read about it suggest the reason is that things aren't only moving apart but that there is actually new space coming into existence between them.
Like if you paint two marks on a balloon and then inflate the balloon more, the distance between the two marks would increase even though the marks themselves are still at the exact same point on the balloon as they were before the expansion.

the point is that the universe is expanding ..... BUT everything seems to be moving away from everything else, i.e., there's no center at all. Most of the things I've read about it suggest the reason is that things aren't only moving apart but that there is actually new space coming into existence between them.
Like if you paint two marks on a balloon and then inflate the balloon more, the distance between the two marks would increase even though the marks themselves are still at the exact same point on the balloon as they were before the expansion.

But one should be able to determine the amount of red shift in all receding objects to see the center of the known universe. Or maybe not.

If the universe is expanding in all directions all around me, then yes, I am the fucking center of the universe.

I'm pushing the universe, and everything in it, away from me.
Is this some sort of gravitational boost or a swat on the ass as each celestial particle goes by or just, as suggested by others, an instinctual response from the Universe?

It's way fuzzier than that. The problem has already been broached by those hedging the operant phrase as the "known universe" as opposed to the Universe.

So it's not just the insignificant smelly creatures on this remote rock that are repulsed by your presence; it is matter itself!

Back