Never Mind.....

RAMI,
cool stuff. The bass tone is very RAMI so if you scored that from a sim you've matched it well.
The intro riff/sound/style is pretty much signature Rami.
Cool & ever cynical lyrics.
Top & proper job.
Awesome. Thanx Ray. I was beginning to doubt myself. Ah, what am I talking about. I always doubt myself when it comes to this shit. :eek:

I was about to come and say that your snare is sounding more like it did a while back - I really liked the pop you got from it (don't really know the right word) on She's a Rainbow, for example.
Thanx Johny. I'm glad you noticed. I really do like the snare sound I always used to get. I'm coming close to it again, but I think it lacks the fullness it used to have.

Rami I think this is pretty bad ass. Very well balanced. My only little nit is that I think it could use a meatier snare sound. This is your pop snare, and it works for 99% of your stuff, and it works here too, but this song is more rocking and a little heavier and I think a fatter snare would sound more powerful overall. That's all that stood out to me. The guitars, bass, vocals, drums all sound great. Good work!
Great, man. Thanx. Like I said above, I'm trying to get that pop snare I used to always get so well. I think it would suit the tune IF it had the fullness it used to have. I'm really working on it. I just did a drum track for another tune yesterday and spent a lot of time tuning my drums. I think I'm getting closer.

I'm glad the levels are ok. Like I said, I always doubt myself because I spend so much time working on a tune, by the time I think it's finished I'm never sure if I'm hearing things right or if I've totally lost perspective.

It's been a while since I've worked on something completely new. My last 4 or 5 tunes have either been covers, tunes that I re-mixed after saving my old hard drive, or re-worked un-finished riffs, etc.....It's going to be fun to sit down and work on something completely new again.

Thanx guys.

Really good sound on everything. Liked the vocal especially. I always like your harmony vocal. Drums sound great to me.

Not much I can think of that can be improved. I suppose, and this is just a personal preference, I'd like a little bit more gain applied to the crunch guitars and maybe just a bit more bite. But that's just me.

Excellent job.

Good tune. I have no comment on the mix. Near pro as I can tell (just to avoid the big head).

One comment on the production, when you do the on second though (hard vocal stop), never mind. Would have sounded really cool really cool, everything hard stop, (on second though), never mind (everything stop), then go again.

The comment was just what I thought would have really been a nice little touch in the a couple of places. It is a kicking little tune with a nice little attitude.

Really good sound on everything. Liked the vocal especially. I always like your harmony vocal. Drums sound great to me.

Not much I can think of that can be improved. I suppose, and this is just a personal preference, I'd like a little bit more gain applied to the crunch guitars and maybe just a bit more bite. But that's just me.

Excellent job.
Hey thanx alot Trip. I just brought the guitars up a little bit. Hopefully they cut through better now.

Good tune. I have no comment on the mix. Near pro as I can tell (just to avoid the big head).

One comment on the production, when you do the on second though (hard vocal stop), never mind. Would have sounded really cool really cool, everything hard stop, (on second though), never mind (everything stop), then go again.

The comment was just what I thought would have really been a nice little touch in the a couple of places. It is a kicking little tune with a nice little attitude.
If I understand you correctly, and I think I do, that's actually a great idea. I probably wouldn't do it for every chorus, but most probably the last one. I like it and will definitely try it. Thanx dude.

By the way, just to reference the other thread that we both posted in, this song has doubled vocals all the way through. It might not seem noticeable, but if I muted one of them you'd hear the difference. It's just thickening them up a bit.

By the way, just to reference the other thread that we both posted in, this song has doubled vocals all the way through. It might not seem noticeable, but if I muted one of them you'd hear the difference. It's just thickening them up a bit.

You have the doubling down to a science. I was listening for it ;)

Right out of the gate, I think the bass and guitars sound really good. I'm not a tone-aholic, but I thought that was a good sound for the crunch. Seems a bit heavier than I remember your guitar tracks from the past?

The spread of the drums is really good. I get a great sense of space from the kit. How far apart are you overheads if you know? I know they're supposed to be equidistant from the center of the snare and the spacing is probably just to taste, but I'm curious. What about distance from the snare?...36-48"? Somewhere in that range?

Your cymbals sound really good, especially the crashes...what do you use for cymbals?

Enjoyed that. Nice sound, nice balance. I got no nits. I'd love to mix one like this right out of the box. One effect I really like is how on the long guitar held notes, the sudden increase in reverb sucks it back toward the back of the soundstage. Very cool.

Right out of the gate, I think the bass and guitars sound really good. I'm not a tone-aholic, but I thought that was a good sound for the crunch. Seems a bit heavier than I remember your guitar tracks from the past?

The spread of the drums is really good. I get a great sense of space from the kit. How far apart are you overheads if you know? I know they're supposed to be equidistant from the center of the snare and the spacing is probably just to taste, but I'm curious. What about distance from the snare?...36-48"? Somewhere in that range?

Your cymbals sound really good, especially the crashes...what do you use for cymbals?
Thanx a lot, Heat.

I use Sabian cymbals exclusively. I've never liked the sound of any Zildjian I've ever hit, and I'm not exaggerating. I even worked at Montreal's biggest music store years ago, where I had access to hundreds of cymbals, and never liked the metallic, clangy sound of a Zildjian. The only other cymbals I've ever liked other than Sabians were Paiste 2002, with the red writing. Those are (were?) sweet, but they looked so fragile that I was scared to buy one and break it in the first set of my next gig.

I used to use Recorderman set up for my overheads. Now, I used a spaced pair, pointing at the snare. I just measured and my OV's are exactly 58" from my snare.

Enjoyed that. Nice sound, nice balance. I got no nits. I'd love to mix one like this right out of the box. One effect I really like is how on the long guitar held notes, the sudden increase in reverb sucks it back toward the back of the soundstage. Very cool.
Thanx Dobro. My guitar tracks are re-amped. I track with an amp sim, getting as close a sound as I think I want but only recording the raw, un-processed signal, and then I re-amp later into my Fender Super Champ.

Thanx a lot guys.

Last edited:
My guitar tracks are re-amped. I track with an amp sim, getting as close a sound as I think I want but only recording the raw, un-processed signal, and then I re-amp later into my Fender Super Champ.

If you know what amp you're going to be using, why re-amp, why not mic the Super Champ right out of the gate? More control?

If you know what amp you're going to be using, why re-amp, why not mic the Super Champ right out of the gate? More control?

Good question.

2 reasons:

1) I love recording late at night when I can't have my amp at the volume I like to record it, which is LOUD.

2) I like having the raw signal in case I ever want to go back and re-record with a different sound.

But answer #1 is the main reason.

Hey man,

I liked the song. I was getting a little bit of a Mick Jagger vibe from the vocals. It was interesting. I thought the use of the delay/reverb was used nicely during the solo as it let the song breathe a little. What kind of guitar and amp did you record this song with?

Hey man,

I liked the song. I was getting a little bit of a Mick Jagger vibe from the vocals. It was interesting. I thought the use of the delay/reverb was used nicely during the solo as it let the song breathe a little. What kind of guitar and amp did you record this song with?
Thanx a lot spin. :cool:

I doubled the rythm guitars using an Epi SG on one side and a Strat on the other side. All the rest of the guitar tracks, solos, etc....were done with the SG.

I go into a Fender Super Champ.

Missed this one... haven't been hanging out here in a while..

No nits from me and good solid tune. I really like the rhythm guitar tone you've got there... can't put my finger on exactly why... very "dark" and "warm" to throw a few words at it.

Also particularly like in the instrumental section at the end how the rhythm guitar/s drop out and then come back in... v. dynamic.

Nice.:thumbs up:

(Not really hearing Mick Jagger though.. as per the previous poster... just RAMI. Not that there's anything wrong with that..:D)

Missed this one... haven't been hanging out here in a while..

No nits from me and good solid tune. I really like the rhythm guitar tone you've got there... can't put my finger on exactly why... very "dark" and "warm" to throw a few words at it.

Also particularly like in the instrumental section at the end how the rhythm guitar/s drop out and then come back in... v. dynamic.

Nice.:thumbs up:

(Not really hearing Mick Jagger though.. as per the previous poster... just RAMI. Not that there's anything wrong with that..:D)
Thanx a lot, Arm. :cool:

HA! Mick only wishes he could sing this well. :D

Just kidding. I've often been told I sound like him, even when I'm not trying to.

My favorite part of the Stones cover you did recently was how your voice could echo Jagger's and still be you. Very cool. Do you stick out your tongue when you sing too?

My favorite part of the Stones cover you did recently was how your voice could echo Jagger's and still be you. Very cool. Do you stick out your tongue when you sing too?

I didn't think he sticks out his tongue as much as he pouts his lips. I'm a pouter. :(

Guitars, bass and backing vocals all sound really good to me RAMI and the mix is well balanced. Just two things stuck out to me.

Firstly, I thought that three note opening guitar phrase was repeated too many times. I don't feel the length's an issue, I just wonder if you could vary the riff somehow?

Secondly, there were a few words here and there where I thought the vocal phrasing was a bit 'off groove'. Like on 'a deal you', the first 'imaginary' and 'now that'. It's kind of like it's a bit tentative because you're holding back. I wondered whether you either tracked it soon after writing the lyrics or at a time of day/night where you felt you needed to be a bit quieter. I dunno, maybe that's not the case and I'm way off. Just what caught me and I hope it helps :)

Guitars, bass and backing vocals all sound really good to me RAMI and the mix is well balanced.
Thanx Rob.

Firstly, I thought that three note opening guitar phrase was repeated too many times. I don't feel the length's an issue, I just wonder if you could vary the riff somehow?
No problem, but it does vary in the sense that the timing changes. It's hard to explain but easy to hear that the "One" of the riff changes places every 4 times (I think it's 4 times). But I hear what you're saying. If you find it repetitive, that's what you hear. Cool.

Secondly, there were a few words here and there where I thought the vocal phrasing was a bit 'off groove'. Like on 'a deal you', the first 'imaginary' and 'now that'. It's kind of like it's a bit tentative because you're holding back. I wondered whether you either tracked it soon after writing the lyrics or at a time of day/night where you felt you needed to be a bit quieter. I dunno, maybe that's not the case and I'm way off.
Hmmm...Yeah, there was no tentativeness as far as my approach, but these are all things that either you hear them that way or you don't. I appreciate you sharing what you hear. Maybe I'll go back and listen to this one day and hear it the same you do.

Thanx Rob. I really appreciate that.

No problem Rami. I listened a couple of time and to be honest, I heard the vocal things I mentioned less each time - but they were the things that struck me on first impression and I often think they're most important before you get your ear tuned in.

I know what you're saying with the slight timing changes in the opening part of the riff, it's that EGAGE that I thought was repeated too many times. It's hard to explain what I meant - so not to try and hijack your thread/tune or tell you what to write - but more to illustrate what I mean better - I just played what I heard in my head and was trying to say previously and recorded my unplugged electric on my phone: Never Mind riff

As I say, not trying to convince you that this is better - just couldn't explain it in words. Again hope this is at least of interest...

I know what you're saying with the slight timing changes in the opening part of the riff, it's that EGAGE that I thought was repeated too many times. It's hard to explain what I meant - so not to try and hijack your thread/tune or tell you what to write - but more to illustrate what I mean better - I just played what I heard in my head and was trying to say previously and recorded my unplugged electric on my phone: Never Mind riff

As I say, not trying to convince you that this is better - just couldn't explain it in words. Again hope this is at least of interest...
Ah yes, that's awesome. I get what you're saying now. That was cool. Nice way to resolve it. I did it my way so that it would be more "circular", for lack of a better word. But I totally dig your idea. If I ever re-record this, which I have been known to do with my tunes, I'll definitely try what you did. Thanx Rob. Very cool.

Back