hands getting old

dragonworks

Banned
looking at them while wearing glasses and playing and wondering who's they are, oh yeah, they're mine. Fingers won't arch like the used to, have problem muffling other strings, sometimes not being able to get all the strings down I want; but, I know more now than I ever did, and if I slow down I am still pretty good.

That was fun.
My left is the one troubles me the most. The thumb joints mostly are the ones that are creeping up. To the point now where its several minutes to a song or or two of playing, stretching, playing to get up to speed.

I have one of those ....... they're kinda cool.

yeah, I'm starting to have significant hand issues from arthritis I guess, and my right thumb does this thing where it cramps up and locks into a clamped position and I actually have to use the other hand to grab it and open it. :mad:

It sucks but what can ya' do? ........... ah well.

more fun to come!

It certainly looks & sounds cool. As with others, my left hand is the issue - at the knuckle closes to the finger tip of the middle two fingers cause pain when bent which makes chord shapes even harder than they were for a klutz like me.
My right hand seems fine though I have a couple of lumps forming in the palm which suggest a version of carpel syndrome may be on its way.

When I don't play for days and days my hands/fingers are stiff at first when I try to play. If I then play for a half hour, they lossen up, and if then keep playing a lttle each day, they stay in decent playing shape.

Not any pain yet, but I can feel the early stages of arthritis creeping in. My mother was cursed with early onset of arthritis, and her hands/nuckles are a mess now in her old age....calcium lumps and lots of pain.
Not sure if I'm in store for that.... but for now, I guess the best approach is use it or lose it. :)

That sounds nasty. You'll have to take a leaf outta Keef's book and start climbing coconut trees after a few joints and a bucket load of rum punch. That should sort you out.

I had arthritis kick in on one finger a year or so ago and asked all the old fucks here what they did about it. The general consensus was to play through the pain or anesthetize it with good alcohol (Lt. Bob). And both plans pretty much worked; it doesn't bother me anymore.

I have one of those ....... they're kinda cool.

I thought it sounded pretty sucky on most of the electric guit stuff but actually pretty good on acoustic... was wondering if it was some elaborate April Fools Day thing, but if you actually have one Lt, it must be real... :guitar:

I have RSI from work in right hand/forearm, which guitar playing doesn't help with, but so far no great deterioration... I can still fret the A string at 7 with Mr Pointer and alternate 12th fret harmonics on high E & B via the pinky... now that's stretchy.. :drunk:

I thought it sounded pretty sucky on most of the electric guit stuff but actually pretty good on acoustic... was wondering if it was some elaborate April Fools Day thing, but if you actually have one Lt, it must be real... :guitar:
they're REAL finicky to get adjusted where they work and they won't successfully clamp on just any guitar.

I can't imagine I'd use one live but I imagine eventually I'll do something recordingwise with it.

I guess I'm not alone. I have all of these issues at one time or another. What bothers me more is that I had met Bucky Pizzarelli a year ago at a jazz venue and at his age his one hand is well stiffened but his fretting hand was a great as ever.

While I'd hoped to achieve a small level of his greatness some day, I realize even that will never happen. In fact my right thumb has just locked up as I type this. Playing, stretching, hot water...barely a little help. This is Hard topic to read as it addresses one real fact of life.

Got just got in from the typical full (but not large) pa setup, 3-hour gig, tear down pack back in.
The hands were fine tonight.. Feet hurt like a beoch but.. :)

waking up from last night's gig ( 4 hour gigs for me) ...... now it's time to get ready for my 1pm beachside gig ...... and my head hurts since people bought me lots of 'hand medicine' last night. :D

Back