know a good guitar amp for a heavy rock tone?

I'm tired of having shit guitar tones, I need a new amp; I'd like to cap the spend at $400. I want something that sounds good for heavy rock or metal-type tones. Does anyone have any suggestions based on his experience? No less than 40 watts. If $400 isn't enough, I'd go as high as $550, but I'd prefer to keep it at $400 or lower. Thanks.

Not sure exactly what you are after....but I'll toss out a plug for Carl's Custom Amps, having recently acquired one of his 18W plexi style amps, and loving it immensely.
His completely built amps run in the $1k range....BUT....he also sells what he calls "working amps"....which are basically just the amp chassis, with everything ready to go, you just add the tubes, and you can also add a head cabinet on your own.
Anyway...his "working amps" are in the $500 range. He has standard and premium versions...the premium simply uses all top-shelf components, so it runs about $150 more than the standard, but his standard is nothing shabby either, just a way for someone to save a few bucks with more generic components, the main being the brand of tranny's he puts in standard VS premium.

So check em out and see if there's something you might like. He also custom builds, so you can call him and discuss variations on his models or something totally custom per your tastes.

I'm already considering getting his Thundergod amp in the near future....it's a dual flavored, two channel amp, one tailored after Supro tones, and the other after Plexi tones, and it can take either 6V6 or 6L6 tubes.
He has a "working chassis" of it on eBay for $515....not bad.

Here's his website: Carl's Custom Amps

Here's his eBay listings: makinrose | eBay

Oh...don't let his playing skill in the audio clips put you off. :D
He admits he's not a great player, but the tone in his amps is there. :thumbs up:

Vai is a Carvin guy now right?

In any case, Steve Vai is not a sound I think notthatbright wants to emulate. :laughings:

Seeing that name made me think of Yankee Rose, which made me think of a friend of mine, who, when we were in our early 20s, used to refer to dope as "Yankee Rose". About 5 beers in, he'd be on the phone making "the call", saying, "I'm talkin' bout the Yankee Rose". It wasn't as gay as it sounds. Or maybe it was, it's hard to remember.

jonny deep said:
Yeah, and I'd use it if it wasn't for the stupid world peace side effect.

Atta boy. We got scores to settle first!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I believe I'm going to go with the Marshall DSL40CST. More than I expected to spend, but hey, you gotta spend money to make money! Or maybe just the first part of that.

Marshall's a great choice, but if you want any kind of versatility they don't do that. :D

The AC30 does pretty good for Queen, some of the best rock tones ever, but......

The Sex Pistols' "Never Mind The Bollocks" was recorded with an overdriven Fender Twin. You can get good rock tones with a lot of amps. I think playing style has some effect.

Marshall's a great choice, but if you want any kind of versatility they don't do that. :D

The AC30 does pretty good for Queen, some of the best rock tones ever, but......

The Sex Pistols' "Never Mind The Bollocks" was recorded with an overdriven Fender Twin. You can get good rock tones with a lot of amps. I think playing style has some effect.

I don't see myself mellowing out anytime soon, so versatility would go in the "nice to have, but not really necessary" category. When I do, some shredder who just kicked his heroin habit will realize all his pawn tickets have expired and will be there to take it off my hands via ebay or something. Then I'll get an AC30 and we can collaborate on reggae songs!

Thanks for the info.

I don't see myself mellowing out anytime soon, so versatility would go in the "nice to have, but not really necessary" category. When I do, some shredder who just kicked his heroin habit will realize all his pawn tickets have expired and will be there to take it off my hands via ebay or something. Then I'll get an AC30 and we can collaborate on reggae songs!

Thanks for the info.

Just to make it clear, I use a 100 watt Marshall Triple Super Lead with a 4X12 full of Celestion G12-75Ts. I endorse these amps. :D
But back in the day with my most successful band I've ever been in, I used a 100 watt Peavey solid state amp. It was Peavey's response to the Roland Jazz Chorus, which was a seminal amp in the late 80s and 90s. I got great tone with that as well, and I've been told on several occasions that in the early days of that band, the quality and variety of my guitar tones were one of the elements that made that band so good.

What I'm saying is, that using your ears and dialling in a good tone, plus paying attention to what you play, can sometimes be more important than the amp you use. Nobody has ever said to me in forty years of playing that my tone sucks - and I've used many, many different amps.

Last edited:
Just to make it clear, I use a 100 watt Marshall Triple Super Lead with a 4X12 full of Celestion G12-75Ts. I endorse these amps. :D
But back in the day with my most successful band I've ever been in, I used a 100 watt Peavey solid state amp. It was Peavey's response to the Roland Jazz Chorus, which was a seminal amp in the late 80s and 90s. I got great tone with that as well, and I've been told on several occasions that in the early days of that band, the quality and variety of my guitar tones were one of the elements that made that band so good.

What I'm saying is, that using your ears and dialling in a good tone, plus paying attention to what you play, is more important than the amp you use. Nobody has ever said to me in forty years of playing that my tone sucks - and I've used many, many different amps.

Thanks, good to know. I'll try not to "lean" on the amp more than I have to and perhaps even learn to play a few chords.

Was this the band you wrote that one song with? I remember it being up shortly after I came on this site for the first time a few months ago. I forget what it was called, but it was good. Sounded like... I don't know what you call it... I guess New Wave? Post-punk? It was one of the first songs I heard on this site, and I then realized that there were real musicians on here, not just idiots fucking around in the basement like me. :)

Thanks, good to know. I'll try not to "lean" on the amp more than I have to and perhaps even learn to play a few chords.

Was this the band you wrote that one song with? I remember it being up shortly after I came on this site for the first time a few months ago. I forget what it was called, but it was good. Sounded like... I don't know what you call it... I guess New Wave? Post-punk? It was one of the first songs I heard on this site, and I then realized that there were real musicians on here, not just idiots fucking around in the basement like me. :)

Yes, I wrote it for that band but it was never taken up by them. But we played new wave stuff - anything from the Housemartins to Elvis Costello to The Sex Pistols to Squeeze to Green Day, and played to pretty big audiences at the time, mainly at motorcycle race meetings. Our drummer at the time was British Superbike champion, so we got a bit of a foot in the door, there. I suppose our focus was more towards live covers. Our singer had a great voice, was good-looking and a terrific live performer. But we were all in our mid-to-late thirties at the time. Just a bit too late.

I'm glad you enjoyed the song. :D

It's true you can do a lot with a lot of different amps, but the beauty of an all-tube Marshall is that it's damn near foolproof, and Marshall, like it or not, is the fucking sound of rock and roll.

I think your DSL choice is a good one. It has good cleans, it does the classic Marshall crunch sound reasonably well, and it definitely has more than enough gain to go full gay shred wanker.

What I'm saying is, that using your ears and dialling in a good tone, plus paying attention to what you play, is more important than the amp you use. Nobody has ever said to me in forty years of playing that my tone sucks - and I've used many, many different amps.

My first road band used all peavey and we were impressed with them / Classic and a Bandit I believe.

I must be the odd rocker out. I like Marshall amps, but they are not my favourite. I really, really love the thick, crunchy, grinding, break up, bright-but-not-piercing kind of low gain distortion a la Fender Tweed. Now THAT is sweet, thick, rock and roll distortion. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm. YMMV, IMO, NTTAWWT, etc...

Lots of sweet tones here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcQo9p-OHtM

Marshall, like it or not, is the fucking sound of rock and roll.
This ^, period....to me anyway...

I think your DSL choice is a good one. It has good cleans, it does the classic Marshall crunch sound reasonably well, and it definitely has more than enough gain to go full gay shred wanker.

Yes, if you can get the DSL, go for it....My DSL100 has a 1/2 power switch, & it changes the tone a little, kinda makes it a whole different amp in a way, but I like it best on the 100w setting, lots of headroom, and it's really, really loud. My DSL100 head & 4x12 would have no problems keeping up with a full band, not even mic'd...I have the new, Vietnam made version btw...

FWIW, I bought my DSL100 & a used 1960A cab (G12-T75's) for about $1200....The head alone was about $900, but it was brand new, the cab was used, obviously...

I do suggest if you can swing it, to get a 2x12, or even a 4x12....I've finally learned that the tones I'm after can't be had with little amps/cabs....I can get close, but not all the way...that's just me though, YMMV....

Keep us posted on what you decide dude....

Tonight is my first night with my DSL40CST, and I've been able to coax some pretty sweet tones out of it. It's too new for me to make any impartial decisions about it (new gear lust), but as my first Marshall it has so far satisfied all of those cravings of rock n roll guitar tones for me. It's bright, punchy, and retains some chime and clarity even when pushed. Low gain settings and high volume settings are the key so far. But that's true for pretty much any tube amp. Let the power section do the work while the preamp section adds some sensitivity and a bit of grit.

This ^, period....to me anyway...

....I've finally learned that the tones I'm after can't be had with little amps/cabs....I can get close, but not all the way...that's just me though, YMMV....

Yeah...there's a certain flavor of Rock tone that is very identifiable, and comes from the typical Marshall stack type of rig, and it's a great tone!
I think most of Glam Rock based it's sound around that type of guitar tone...that creamy/edgy grind.

That said, there's also actually quite a bit of iconic Rock tones that have nothing to do with that, and come from the Tweed/Supro side, and many of the smaller combo rigs that were very plentiful in the late 60' and early 70s when so much of "classic Rock guitar" was being chiseled out. Then there's also that Hiwatt sound...or for guys like Marc Bolan, who tossed out some terrific guitar tones, he also used Fender amps along with British fare.
Let's also not fortet the VOX Rock guitar sound...though I've personally never chased after that one.
Often, the classic studio tracks we are familiar with, were done with a variety of those smaller amps/cabs...and the stacks came out later, for the live gigs.

Just saying that there's a lot of tones that fit the "classic Rock guitar" sound...but I certainly agree that if you mainly want that dimed Marshall w/stack kind of sound....then you need the Marshall style amp and the stack. :)

I was into the large 100W/412 thing back in my 20's...and I still like to use that sound from time to time (though I sold my 100W/412 rig awhile ago)...but then at some point I discovered the wonderful 6V6 tube sound, and I have to say, it's 50/50 for me now days. My favorite amps are ones that have either the classic British/EL34 sound or the classis American/6V6 sound...both kick out some great Rock tones. :cool:

Last edited:
There's huge ocean of difference between classic rock tone, and heavy rock tone. Cranked Fenders and Vox amps sound cool as shit, but they're not exactly heavy rock tones. Even the old Marshalls aren't really "heavy" without some help.

It's all good Miro....I still use, & love my low-watt amps dude, they're just different "flavors" to use....

I use the Tweaker for my Fender-ish sounds, & it does kinda have that vibe/sound to it, of course, it's not spot-on, but for me, it's close enough...The Vox tonestack/setting on the Tweaker is my least favorite, I have no idea how it compares to a real Vox, but it's ok, just not great....The Tweaker does a pretty fair Marshall impersonation, but I've got those sounds pretty well covered with the DSL & Chupacabra....:).

I've found a use for the shitty-sounding Randall ISO cab finally, record my di's with it, using the 1w DSL in 0.1w mode, makes for a pretty silent, late-night recording rig, but I still have to re-amp my tracks later, the low/low-mids using the ISO cab just aren't "right", but, I still use it for the times that I can't crank the big amps....Sure, I could just use an ampsim/modeler, but I've found I play different, & it feels different when using ampsims vs. real amps....Might just be me though....

Another good use for the ISO cab is speaker break-in, just loop a di through one of my amps, & let it play over & over....lol...I can't believe this thing sounds so terrible compared to the one I built. I'm assuming it's the size of the box/enclosure that throws the low-end off, as the home-made ISO was a lot bigger....Oh well, no biggie, it's only $$$ I threw at it.....:laughings:.

Probably no toans today, as I'm off to see the new woman, gonna spend the night with her....She's supposed to be cooking dinner for us, so this will really tell the tale, if she can't cook worth a fuck, then it's time to move on.....I'm actually gonna take my amp/cab/guitar up there (maybe this weekend) for the real test to see if she's a keeper or not...:D.

I'll probably check in after while, so wish me luck guys...;).

It's all good Miro....I still use, & love my low-watt amps dude, they're just different "flavors" to use....

I was just busting some chops for you Marshall nuts! :)

Actually...I would love a nice, older/vintage Marshall JTM or JMP....but the damn things cost WAY too much.
I just can't see dropping $2k-$3k or more on a used amp.
I would rather just buy some new build from one of the "handwired" builders.

Probably no toans today, as I'm off to see the new woman, gonna spend the night with her....She's supposed to be cooking dinner for us, so this will really tell the tale, if she can't cook worth a fuck, then it's time to move on.....I'm actually gonna take my amp/cab/guitar up there (maybe this weekend) for the real test to see if she's a keeper or not...:D.

I'll probably check in after while, so wish me luck guys...;).

Dude....if she's good at other, important things but can't cook...call for take out, or go out...don't dump her over a bad meal.

:D ;)

I was always the better cook than any of the women I was with...I just hate fucking cooking! :p

I'm tired of having shit guitar tones, I need a new amp; I'd like to cap the spend at $400. I want something that sounds good for heavy rock or metal-type tones. Does anyone have any suggestions based on his experience? No less than 40 watts. If $400 isn't enough, I'd go as high as $550, but I'd prefer to keep it at $400 or lower. Thanks.

I've got a few Marshall amps, but for the past week I've been checking out a friend's new Randall Diablo amp and I gotta say..... it roars. Solid tight and very heavy, I don't want to give it back! :listeningmusic:

Back