Okay, I am

dragonworks

Banned
looking at recording software. Besides a package, say cubase or sonar etc, what else will I have to buy?
A dongle? A liscence?
I have two HD24s, can I use them as an interface to the puter via lightpipe?
????????????????????

Hey,
It depends on what software you buy.
Protools, for example, authorises by ilok. Others are on license key...You really just have to look up each one and see how it works.

If I understand correctly, the HD24s would be used as converters, right?
If that's the case, you'd need an audio interface which accepts light pipe input. I could recommend plenty with one light pipe input, but I'm guessing that's not much use to you.

Doesn't Miro have a multi-lightpipe setup?

Does your computer have a spare PCI slot?

Most current models only offer PCIe slots, and I doubt you can find a lightpipe card in that format.

This looks like a spendy solution, but it is PCIe. Looks like the AES16e would be the primary card and the LS-ADAT would provide lightpipe I/O.

AES16e

LS-ADAT

You should have enough money left over for Reaper. :D

Reason uses a USB license dongle that you can use on any computer as long as you have the dongle in your pocket. The also allow you to have one computer licensed that you have to log in (internet access) each time you use the software, but doesn't need the dongle. Probably others that do the same.

But beyond the DAW, you need an interface that can accept your lightpipe cable, cans, monitors and plugs...plus all the other stuff (mikes, cables, stands, talented musicians, etc., etc.) :D

Does your computer have a spare PCI slot?

Most current models only offer PCIe slots, and I doubt you can find a lightpipe card in that format.

This looks like a spendy solution, but it is PCIe. Looks like the AES16e would be the primary card and the LS-ADAT would provide lightpipe I/O.

AES16e

LS-ADAT

You should have enough money left over for Reaper. :D

I have to look into the computer end of it. Just got another, have to look at the specs, speeds, cpu, etc, What a pain in the ass

Reason uses a USB license dongle that you can use on any computer as long as you have the dongle in your pocket. The also allow you to have one computer licensed that you have to log in (internet access) each time you use the software, but doesn't need the dongle. Probably others that do the same.

But beyond the DAW, you need an interface that can accept your lightpipe cable, cans, monitors and plugs...plus all the other stuff (mikes, cables, stands, talented musicians, etc., etc.) :D

I can go from the HD24 directly into my Yamaha O2R and from there into the puter via lightpipe?
02R - Digital Mixers - Mixers - Live Sound - Products - Yamaha United States
If I can do this all I need is some way to get the tracks into the computer?

Page 73-74 of the owner's manual says you can transfer AIFF or WAV files from the HD24 directly through a LAN connection. The T10/100 port on the back of your computer can be used directly with a crossover cable (any computer store can build these). OR just plug the HD24 into your hub (if you have one). Just DL the files one at a time into your DAW or transfer them to an external hard drive first. It's possible that this will cause the HD24 to appear as a device that can be used as a device (drive), but I'm not sure it would work as an interface...

Page 73-74 of the owner's manual says you can transfer AIFF or WAV files from the HD24 directly through a LAN connection. The T10/100 port on the back of your computer can be used directly with a crossover cable (any computer store can build these). OR just plug the HD24 into your hub (if you have one). Just DL the files one at a time into your DAW or transfer them to an external hard drive first.

Sounds more promising, I have been out of the loop for quite awhile and have no clue what a HUB is?
I can do all my recording through the O2R into the HD24, I don't need to record into the computer, the only thing I really want it for
is so I can edit files from the HD24. I would like to be able to record midi tracks on the puter and mix them with the files from the HD24
I have and alesis QS8 I can do most of the midi work with, now, what would I need to get the midi into the computer from the QS8?

Hub is the thingy that all the computers communicate with (and sometimes printers and external drives can be added), usually wireless, but T10/100 is the standard cable that hooks to the ports on them...Linksys & Netgear are the big two.

There are a couple ways of doing this. One way is to record on the HD24's like you always did and then export wav files into the computer for editing and mixing in the DAW. For that, you only need a basic interface.

You can always ditch the HD24's, figure out the maximum number of inputs you need at any one time, and get an interface that has that many inputs.

I'm figuring it's going to be more of a pain in the butt to try to connect up the HD24's to use as converters than it's worth. Only because it hasn't been the thing to do for about 10 years and you are hard pressed to find the PCIe cards that do it and/or a desktop with an open slot for the card. IF you are using a laptop, it's pretty impossible.

There are a couple ways of doing this. One way is to record on the HD24's like you always did and then export wav files into the computer for editing and mixing in the DAW. For that, you only need a basic interface.

You can always ditch the HD24's, figure out the maximum number of inputs you need at any one time, and get an interface that has that many inputs.

I'm figuring it's going to be more of a pain in the butt to try to connect up the HD24's to use as converters than it's worth. Only because it hasn't been the thing to do for about 10 years and you are hard pressed to find the PCIe cards that do it and/or a desktop with an open slot for the card. IF you are using a laptop, it's pretty impossible.

the HD24s have worked great forever, i am not ditching them now. There are times I need up to 12 inputs at a shot, they are great for that.

the HD24s have worked great forever, i am not ditching them now. There are times I need up to 12 inputs at a shot, they are great for that.

I get that. My Lynx2A is ten years old, and my computer is too. I would love to get a machine that would run Win7 but I'm not paying $1200 for a Sweetwater special with PCI slots.

You don't have to throw them away, but it might be easier not to use them for converters. The motu 16a has 16 line inputs and connects with USB. The 1248 has 12 line inputs with 4 mic inputs. They seem to list at $1500.

If you do have an older computer with only PCI slots, you could get an older motu 2408 with a core card for only a couple hundred dollars, which will get you 24 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 8 analog inputs, 24 channels of TDIF and monitor controls. There is also a PCIe version of the core card. Any version of that hardware will work with either card. Since it will allow you to use the HD24 for converters, you can buy the oldest, cheapest version since it's all digital.

Sonar X3 is $399 I think. Pretty pricey and the annual upgrades are $149. You can buy it online and download with a registration number. And extra for the DVD's.

There are plenty of USB/Firewire/thunderbolt audio interfaces with lightpipe input.
I'm sure some have 2x lightpipe input.....
he will need 3 to transfer 24 tracks. It is impossible to use a pci or pcie card with a laptop. (unless you get one of those pci racks, but they cost a ton)

Back