How would you describe the quality/timbre/color of my voice?

Yuume

How would you describe it using terms such as resonant, breathy, raspy, nasally, etc.?

Teenager in Love - Vocaroo | Voice message (my higher range)
Million Dollar Man - Vocaroo | Voice message (my lower range)

PS: If you could rate my singing that'd be great too, or if you think my voice sounds too generic, etc. Pretty much anything that pops into your head.

Thanks.

What are you trying to do? If it's The Voice or such, forget it. The 'low' sample is pitchy. The 'high' sample is boring. Got to put some feeling into your singing, that's probably not the song for it.

I'm not really after 'The Voice' kind of voice, and I should also mention that besides some sharps on the second, some are intentionally there because the song uses notes out of the scale. But I guess what I'm going for is a decent mellow voice that can help me carry a tune I've written. I'm more of a songwriter, but I obviously care about my singing too, which is why I'm working on it. And as far as feelings go I agree it's not the expressive type of singing that we're used to, but it being hollow and mellow kind of fits the music I write at least.

But it would really help me if you actually focused on my quality/timbre/color more. I know I'm not an impressive singer, but I'm more interested in finding out how people experience the natural COLOR of my voice. Thank you for the feedback.

Okay dude. You have to put some sort of emotion into it, even if it's mellow. Try adding some contrast. And even if the second tune had a modulating key, you might want to work on precision and just really get the muscle memory for each note spot on to its pitch for the lower register. Hope that was more helpful.

Totally helpful. I agree that I lack emotion, and I guess it's mainly because I focus too much on trying to keep my pitch steady and on point, since I'm not a great singer, like I said. I'm totally taking this as constructive criticism, just what I said earlier was that I'd kinda like to know about the timbre, since I'm so used to hearing my own voice that I can't objectively describe it.

Annunciation and some personal style will help.

Timbre will not be something to care about until you put emotion into your singing.

IMO I don't hear much to comment on while you are almost whispering...

While I agree that I'm a quiet singer, I think it's nowhere near inaudible ...
PS: By annunciation did you mean working on my annunciation or developing a more characteristic one?

While I agree that I'm a quiet singer, I think it's nowhere near inaudible ...
PS: By annunciation did you mean working on my annunciation or developing a more characteristic one?

Well, both man. I never said 'inaudible'. It is just not projecting well to my ears.

I am not going to draw this out as I am not a professional singer and none of us can tell you how to sing. Though I do work with some quite good ones and my first comment is what I would say to any singer that sounded like you.

What you asked for is opinion on your voice.

In my opinion, you need to find the character of your voice and elaborate on whatever that is and find it yourself. To me it sounds timid and dull the way you sang the tracks you posted.

Just being honest.

Or I could lie to you and tell you it was awesome.

You have a decent ability to get to the notes and the tone of your voice is not bad. I just don't hear anything unique or emotionally moving yet. Hence my comments... Take it for what that is.

:)

As Jimmy said above. You sound like you're whispering, holding back. (Trying to be quiet so no one in the vicinity hears you?)

You need to sing loud and proud from the pit of your stomach. Project your voice!

:thumbs up:

You do sound like you're whispering. I get that; sometimes I sing quietly for a specific effect. If that's one thing you do, then I'd say that you have a pretty nice tone to your voice overall, but as others said you can use some work on pitch. Warm-ups and abdominal exercises actually help me in that regard, as well as regular practice.

I'd like to hear more range, as in-- what can you do if you need to belt it out? I once got very frustrated at a gig, many years ago when I was starting out a song quietly for the effect with the intent to open up on it as it progressed and someone yelled "sing from your diaphragm!" as if I didn't know how to sing. So I I'd say these little samples show one thing, but there's a lot more you might be able to do if you keep working with your voice and practicing different ways of singing.

You guys are very helpful, I'm really grateful. And I mean if I wanted to hear blind or biased compliments I obviously wouldn't post on this forum :) . I'm a really honest person, so I value constructive criticism.

And I guess I should have sort of explained my "style" of singing. I guess the reason why my voice sound kinda weak and quiet is because I add a lot of breath. The reason I do that is because well I guess it might be contrary to what other people think, but you know how fully-resonant (as in not my type of) male voices tend to sound crinkly at the mid to low range? Well that was something that always annoyed me and distracted me from people's actual talking/singing and yeah I kinda sacrificed volume in the name of tone I guess. But like I said, my repertoire pretty much involves sad, mellow, weak-willed songs ... that kinda fit my singing voice I guess. I can sing in my upper range with more power and freedom but I really like using my lower range (even though it's more difficult) without sounding crinkly and really resonant. I hope I kind clarified that. I'll try to work on pitch and annunciation! Any other comments or advice is much appreciated. I might post another sample too, since these are kind of old.

Dude, I'm not going to shove a video into your thread but google "No-man YouTube" and you'll hear someone who quite successfully uses a quiet breathy voice in modern commercial music.

I don't think you're whispering but like the others I'm thinking it's all all a little anodyne - and "Teenager In Love" is hardly a showcase number. How well it works completely depends upon the material. What have you got?

Okay, so I decided to post a new sample. This one's more chromatic so I could focus on pitch more. Thought I don't think there's much improvement in the emotion department.

Here's a verse from 'The Way I Feel Inside' - Vocaroo | Voice message

You have a very good vocal quality. I'm wondering if the annunciation of your words is from your use of English...meaning, I wonder if English is your primary language. Some of your syllables sound as if there is a southern Asian or possibly Japanese dialect underneath...I could be way off base here. :D
Anyway, standard advice--
Learn to breath correctly: will help quiet singing as well as chest/head vocals. Always recommend a walking exercise I learned from my vocal coach in '79. When you walk, breathe in for one step and out for seven. Keep your exhale smooth as possible. WARNING: do NOT hyperventilate. :)

Practice with a recorder and an instrument: play a note and hit that note, play an interval (fourth-fifth-minor third-whatever) and jump to that tone. Hold the note out (singing). Now listen back to the recording and see where you slide into different intervals; where your trailing flats or sharpens; where you lose air. Concentrate your practice on the areas where you need improvement.

These things will help. Give it a whirl.

Well I'm from South-east Europe, so it may not be Asia, but English is definitely not my primary language. :D I'll try to work on my annunciation and it'd really help if you could give me some examples where it sounds off, too. Cause I'm so used to hearing my own voice that I can't pick up on them ... which is sad, but true. Thanks for the tips!

I'm no vocalist so I have no input there. But here's a public service announcement:

Merriam-Webster said:
Definition of ANNUNCIATION

1 capitalized : March 25 observed as a church festival in commemoration of the announcement of the Incarnation to the Virgin Mary
2: the act of announcing or of being announced : announcement

Full Definition of ENUNCIATE

transitive verb
1a : to make a definite or systematic statement of
1b : announce, proclaim <enunciated the new policy>
2: articulate, pronounce <enunciate all the syllables>
intransitive verb
: to utter articulate sounds
— enun·cia·ble adjective
— enun·ci·a·tion noun
— enun·ci·a·tor noun

Sorry, that was killing me :)