Monitors make that big of a difference

Stubby03

I have been home recording for about 8 months now. I use mixcraft 6 pro studio. I now use computer speakers when mixing, then check the mix with my stereo and also play it in my truck. Then go back and make the needed changes. If I buy monitors, will they really represent what I am hearing with the mix. Will they cut down on the "going back and forth and making changes". I just don't want to spend the money, only to find out they are not really what I hear about.

They absolutely do!
For better and worse.
Better - An accurate representation of music youre listening to and creating.
Worse - It'll drive you crazy to listen to music on bad sounding systems after you hear a good sounding one lol

I'll never forget how it seemed like the world went from black-and-white to color when I got my first set of monitors.
It was like rediscovering music.

Listen.......using decent monitors designed for music will certainly help you....even if you're a home amateur. And the opposite is true as well...........using poor speakers will certainly hurt your final product most likely. Even if you play your stuff on speakers you're very familiar with..........and you like the final mix..........you're still hearing it through less than ideal speakers and making adjustments to your mix for only those speakers.........and that means that some other set of speakers your music ends up on will reveal flaws you couldn't have heard if you tried. Good monitors are only one part of getting a good mix..........but they do make your mix easier without a doubt. Having said all that.......if you're happy with your results.......I can't argue that you shouldn't be. I can tell you one thing though. If you don't use good monitors......one day down the road.......you'll hear your stuff on some set of speakers you never used.........and you'll be surprised..............and not in a good way. Just my 2 cents.

OK thanks for your info fellas. I appreciate it. I can only spend about 300-450 dollars. I know its not much, but its a start. Any recommendations on this price range.

For around $300 or so you can get the JBL LSR305's. They're getting great reviews all over the web and on this site from all of us too. Not sure what your current set up is and please realize that your environment / room is also hugely important..........and you may want to deal with that sooner than later. In any case..........do your homework.........listen to monitors at a Guitar Center or the like.......and then decide. Good luck and have fun!!!

Don't be afraid to look for used monitors. That might get you into better monitors for the money. If you could find a set of Mackie 824(?) for what you have to pay, you will be doing pretty well.

As has been said, the room you are in plays a big role in what you hear. I recently moved and even my Genelec 1031's weren't right until I put up enough bass trapping and acoustic treatment.

The Equator D5s are my favorite in that range. $400 for the pair including shipping (if you're in the U.S.)

I think they're the best in the price range up to $700. The only reason I didn't say "they are the best" is because I'm hesitant to believe definitive sweeping judgments about something as nuanced as music production gear, so I try not to make them on forums where you're bound to have 5 different guys recommending 5 different pieces of gear. But yeah. Check em out! Also, KRK Rokit 5 G3s are $300 for the pair and seem to be getting decent reviews.

Monitors are super important! 300 is certainly enough money to get a good set. I got my Event PS8's for 150 used bucks and it was one of the best investments I ever made. I would search around for a pair. There are all kinds of great options. You can even build your own speakers for cheap if you are into DIY. Check out this site: DIY-Loudspeakers

A lot of people are using fives and sixes but IMHO I think they are generally too small to represent bass accurately. I used to have a pair of 6 inch speakers and they had low end but it sounded like they were struggling to reproduce it.

I will second the Equator D5s as a solid choice in the price range. If I were just starting out again, I would get these.

ya dude, plus it's a pain in the ass to have to export the track, go check it on everything that plays music and then go back and fix it, export it again, check it again… invest in monitors!

Since you are embarking on a quality upgrade and a more shall we say "analytical" approach? Do find a few $$s for a C weighted sound level meter and calibrate you new monitors thusly....
Calibrating Your Monitoring Chain | The Rants and Ravings of an Audio Mastering Engineer

Do remember however that if you music is going out to people in cars, on the Toob and other grotty destinations, you should check that the wonderful mix you have just wrought on decent speakers still holds up on other sources. You still need for instance, to check for mono compatibility.

I will throw a rarely mentioned name in the mix! Tannoy.

Dave.

One thing no one has asked/mentioned - acoustic treatment of your mixing space. Every space will benefit from bass traps. Make/buy some if you don't have them. The JBL LSR305s are good monitors, but note they have rear bass ports, which means you need bass traps BEHIND THEM.

Last edited:
Lt Bob has some fascinating views on the subject of monitors and hopefully he'll chime in at some point as I find what he has to say to be an important balancing of this topic.
That said, when I bought monitors, I found them better than my stereo speakers that I had been using but I also found it harder to mix because they weren't hyped in the highs and lows like my hi fi speakers were.
You get used to whatever you use though and if there's one thing I've got solidly in my mind regarding monitors, or any kind of speakers or headphones for that matter, when it comes to mixing, it's the word 'translation'.....
Although I do it, it's a pain in the patootie to have to check mixes on a variety of sources because I find all stereos to be so different. And if you tweak things so they sound great in the van but it then sounds less than stellar on the beat box or whatever, you could be chasing your tail forever and a day.

My thoughts are to treat your room first (if that's possible at this stage in your game) with that $350 you've got.
Monitors are going to help, no doubt.
But those same monitors in a treated room are gonna help a lot more.
Check out some DIY bass traps and see if you can swing that.

Not as glamorous as new gear but imo... the best bang for your buck.

Get outa here!
Tannoy are as British as fish'n'chips!

Made of course in China.

Dave.

Seems like I remember back in the 80's a Ft. Worth company who made hi end speakers.

Made in China, yea I think most everything is, regardless of the badge.

Seems like I remember back in the 80's a Ft. Worth company who made hi end speakers.

Made in China, yea I think most everything is, regardless of the badge.

Just Wki'ed them, Originally a Scottish company now owned by TC Electronics. Complicated old world ain't it!

Over here "Tannoy" is a generic term (much to the disgust of tekky anals like moir!) for any PA system much as any vacuum cleaner is a "Hoover" . Both words are also used as verbs.

Dave.

Just Wki'ed them, Originally a Scottish company now owned by TC Electronics. Complicated old world ain't it!

Over here "Tannoy" is a generic term (much to the disgust of tekky anals like moir!) for any PA system much as any vacuum cleaner is a "Hoover" . Both words are also used as verbs.

Dave.

I looked it up, the speakers I was thinking of are called Toby speakers. My memory does trick me.

Back