voodoo child (slight return) just for fun

I don't get it. It's okay once you get going, but the intro isn't tight enough. The sound's good. The mix: I'm feeling the bass is too forward for the space on the guitar, which might be an indication to turn it down a notch. (The bass.)

I don't get it. It's okay once you get going, but the intro isn't tight enough. The sound's good. The mix: I'm feeling the bass is too forward for the space on the guitar, which might be an indication to turn it down a notch. (The bass.)

Thanks for listening and commenting dobro.
Yeah the bass is pretty hot in the mix. I'm bad to not mix quite enough bass in my mixes so I exceeded what I thought was just right. Maybe it was too much.
I tracked this song with me on guitar and my drummer on drums. I didn't have a wah wah (mine were both dead) but I found a wah in a pawn shop last week. I retracked the into and final lead ride. The 3 taps of the drum sticks helps, but this intro is a bitch to nail without eye to eye visual contact with the drummer.
I did the best I could man lol

Wow, that explains it. The song's exemplary and you're good - why not track it again with the drummer?

As dobro said, the intro is pretty wonky. Try and sync the file up with a click track and play along to that. The intro is so god damn important to get the groove going.

The rest sounded pretty good. Might have been a bit too boomy. The lead guitar could have been more upfront and sounded thicker.

I don't get it. It's okay once you get going, but the intro isn't tight enough.

Word. I heard that intro and thought to myself "what the hell is this, is this a first timer? is jimi playing the banjo or somethin??", once the distortion kicks in and your vocals enter the fray, I thought "...nope...definitely not a first timer"

I left happily impressed, but please tighten up that intro, I mean that's THE signature of the song. Gotta get that intro up to the same level as the rest of the mix

Wow, that explains it. The song's exemplary and you're good - why not track it again with the drummer?
Yeah I'll probably re-cut the song. We cut drums on 3 tunes last session. Voodoo Child was one of them. So, I have 2 more tunes to finish before cutting voodoo Child again.
I have very limited recording and mixing time so I have to use it wisely.

Besides the intro, which I'm sure you're sick of hearing about, this is great. Man, I wish we lived in the same city. I can jam stuff like this all day long. Actually, I used to in my teens. This is great, love your guitar playing, JimiS.

As dobro said, the intro is pretty wonky. Try and sync the file up with a click track and play along to that. The intro is so god damn important to get the groove going.

The rest sounded pretty good. Might have been a bit too boomy. The lead guitar could have been more upfront and sounded thicker.
Actually the 1st lead ride was alot fatter to start with. I recorded the rythm and the lead in one swipe. And it sounded great except the part where I'm fanning the strings and grab that high note before the song breaks down. I missed the high note...didn't hit a bad note but did quite grab it right and it was kind of muted sounding. That muted high note bugged me upon listening a few times. So, I punched in the first ride again a few days later and added a bit of delay to one side of the stereo guitar track.
You're right the tone is too thin in the context of the rythm gtr.

plus the original ride wa a much better performance with the exception of the botched high note.
I should have just left it like it was.
I'm totally happy with the wah wah ride all the way around though.
thanks for listening and giving a review!

Besides the intro, which I'm sure you're sick of hearing about, this is great. Man, I wish we lived in the same city. I can jam stuff like this all day long. Actually, I used to in my teens. This is great, love your guitar playing, JimiS.

Sick of hearing about the intro?
No way!
Rake me over the coals some more man!!!
Lmao
:D

Thanks RAMI.
Yeah, I bet we could come up with some killer jam music if we had the same local. Plus, you could teach me how to record and mix.

Last edited:
Also, I'm digging your vocals. nice and crisp
Thanks calimoose. I tracked vocals with a electra voice re 410 hand held condensor mic. I used a pair for drum overheads as well. I REALLY like those microphones!
The EV re 410 gets my vote for best mic under 200 bucks all day long.

I appreciate you review and giving the tune a listen

hmmph ...... being a big Hendrix guy I was prepared to hate it but I can't ..... you do a pretty good job of this ..... the intro, no further comments needed ...... but otherwise the guitar playing is very nice and the vocals are good too if a little 'white' sounding in a few spots.

Impressive job man ..... especially the leads all the way thru ...... that'd be fun to listen to in a large roon with your amp roaring.
:)

You've already received the criticism part of this so I won't continue to beat a dead horse. LOL! I too, like Bob, was prepared to hate it, but ended up picking up my guitar and jamming along with it. And ain't that what it's about?! Enjoyed it!

hmmph ...... being a big Hendrix guy I was prepared to hate it but I can't ..... you do a pretty good job of this ..... the intro, no further comments needed ...... but otherwise the guitar playing is very nice and the vocals are good too if a little 'white' sounding in a few spots.

Impressive job man ..... especially the leads all the way thru ...... that'd be fun to listen to in a large roon with your amp roaring.
Thanks Lt Bob.
I really respect the opinion of an old school player like youself. It's funny, I've seen guitar community opinion go from " if you can't play Hendrix you ain't shit" in the 1970s to the modern mindset of it almost being sacrilegious to even think about covering a Hendrix tune. I too am huge Hendrix fan and just enjoy his songs and style immensely. There will never be another jimi...nobody will ever play it exactly the way he did without coming off as a cheap imitation.
I just tried to put my own spin on it without butchering it.
Thanks so much for giving it a listen.

Last edited:
I too am huge Hendrix fan and just enjoy his songs and style immensely. There will never be another jimi...nobody will ever play it exactly the way he did without coming off as a less than stellar poser.
I tried to put my own spin on it without butchering it.
I agree, man. I think he was and is miles ahead of any other guitar player when it comes to creativity and awesomeness. He never really played fast, though. Too many people think of him as a "blower", but there are very few solos where he's really ripping. Off the top of my head, maybe in the studio version of "Red House" and a small handful of others. To me, his playing is all about tastefulness ands weirdness. You did a great job on this.

You've already received the criticism part of this so I won't continue to beat a dead horse. LOL! I too, like Bob, was prepared to hate it, but ended up picking up my guitar and jamming along with it. And ain't that what it's about?! Enjoyed it!

Thanks Xplo. That IS what it's all about. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Back