U2 Gives Away New Album NOW, No Money in CD Sales

Not a big deal when you're already well established as one of the most successful bands ever. They're not the first to do this and won't be the last. I think the first band I remember doing this on a large scale was Radiohead.

Well no one in their right mind would buy it :laughings:

Thank god someone else said that!

But really it is not giving anything away, it's just an advertisement for the 'soon to be announced by LiveNation' :confused: 'world wide tour that should net the group hundreds of millions of dollars'
Last time i saw a coke or McDonalds ad i didn't feel like i'd been given a free short film.

But really it is not giving anything away, it's just an advertisement for the 'soon to be announced by LiveNation' :confused: 'world wide tour that should net the group hundreds of millions of dollars.

Yeah....that's my plan for my next album....I just have to work out the world wide tour part. :D

They're trying like hell to get me to care....

Flashing images of Joey Ramone, Patti Smith, The Clash? I've got bono's lips planted firmly on my ass. Sorry, I'm an Android guy.

I was putting some stuff from an iTunes playlist onto a CD when I noticed a U2 album on my playlist. I have four of their early ones and none of them are on the computer and so I thought "what's this ?". I clicked it to see what it was and there were 10 songs and one of them was blaring out something about Joey Ramone.
I wouldn't go and see U2 anyway so I can't criticize them for giving away a free album.
I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth. They have been known to spit in an Englishman's eye !

.........I wouldn't go and see U2 anyway so I can't criticize them for giving away a free album.
I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth. They have been known to spit in an Englishman's eye !

I wasn't really being critical of U2, and a few of their older songs i actually quite like. Art and music has always been used to drive a cause, push an agenda, or market a product, does this make the art less valid or compromised outside of this context? Personally i don't think so, but i don't know.
As to looking gift horses in the mouth, recently over here there was an outbreak of Hendra Virus, a potentially fatal equine disease which is transferrable to humans. A horse trainer and another horse owner, numerous horses, and a dog have died from it. It is supposedly vectored by flying foxes (fruit bats). I would certainly be checking any gift horses thoroughly before i put them in one of my paddocks.
The itunes ad seemed pretty trite though, I wonder how Joey would have felt about it, if he were still around. I still wouldn't go near any apple product myself, even if Joey Ramone himself had personally recommended it.

I wonder how Joey would have felt about it, if he were still around. I still wouldn't go near any apple product myself, even if Joey Ramone himself had personally recommended it.

I know Joey liked U2, and he'd probably like Apple. Joey liked people that liked him. Joey liked money. Joey wasn't a jaded punk rocker. He was the nerdy awkward loser that became a legend. All of the Ramones liked being legends. Well, maybe not Dee Dee. Dee Dee was a tortured soul. He didn't want to be Dee Dee Ramone 24/7/365.

I'm with Anders: Apple are anathema. Apple & their App(ple)s & proprietry software/OS/unrepairable/disposable/earth hating stuff.
U2?
Almost the same level as Apple.
Hendra is def equine expectorant though not in the deliberate projectile form of camels facing instruction.
Flying Foxes get blamed for everything down here - home grown terrorism/defoliation/nanscent guano collection/hanging around dead on power lines etc etc etc.
Yep, Greg's right Joey just happened to become famous for doing something taht got him off.

I wasn't really being critical of U2, and a few of their older songs i actually quite like.
I love their debut album "Boy" and "War" and also "The Joshua Tree." I've long found it ironic that the album that was their most overtly "christian" {the 2nd one, "October"} is their worst. Apart from one song {"Tomorrow"}, it's a mish mash hodge podge {or is that hotch potch :D} of good ideas that just never go anywhere or reach completion.
Art and music has always been used to drive a cause, push an agenda, or market a product, does this make the art less valid or compromised outside of this context? Personally i don't think so, but i don't know.
I used to think so in my more purist days. But I don't now. Perhaps we've overlooked just how much a part of cultures everywhere art and music have long been. All you needed to advertise "Jaws" was that music !
As to looking gift horses in the mouth, recently over here there was an outbreak of Hendra Virus, a potentially fatal equine disease which is transferrable to humans.
Hendra Virus sounds like the foreign first cousin, twice removed, of Vicky Vomit and Rat Scabies !

Joey wasn't a jaded punk rocker. He was the nerdy awkward loser that became a legend. All of the Ramones liked being legends.
In my mind, there has pretty much always existed a very clear difference between the American punks and the British ones. The American ones in the main had a genuine liking for much of the music that preceded them and while stripping things down, weren't trying to overthrow everything while having nothing to put in it's place. Some of that may have crept in later but it doesn't appear to me to have been the defining motivation whereas some of the British punks {not all, some} were laughable in that regard. Many grizzled and whinged and cried in their soup about long guitar solos and progressive rock excess, the Bay City Rollers and Rod Stewart ! Most people in the UK in the 70s couldn't stand long guitar solos and progressive rock excess, the Bay City Rollers and Rod Stewart ! :D
Well, maybe not Dee Dee. Dee Dee was a tortured soul. He didn't want to be Dee Dee Ramone 24/7/365.
I sometimes refer to it but his autobiography makes for some really harrowing reading. Don't let your 'plane pilot read it before taking you on a long haul flight !

I only ever saw the Ramones play on 3 occasions, and while they were always one of my favourite bands and i had all their albums on vinyl, their live performances, while an experience, seemed to be more about the hype and energy than the music, it was pretty loose, but it might have been crap venue soundsystems had a bit to do with that. I've read a bit about their lives, and i know Johnny could be a bit of a nasty character and DeeDee was always a bit lost, but i can see what GregL said about Joey being right. I saw the Buzzcocks play in 1990, it was in the University of Qld refectory, pretty small venue and their performance was very tight, but didn't lack that punk energy.

I always saw American punk as a continuation of the rock and roll credo, sex drugs n rock n roll, less overt social and political commentary, but then you had groups like the Dead Kennedy's. British punk was definitely more political and revolutionary in nature, Crass had nothing but that, but then there was the Buzzcocks with endless love songs and broken-hearted angst. I only really caught the tail end of it all though, and by the mid 80's it really became hard for me to see many bands as falling into any particular genre, groups like the Cult, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Alien Sex Fiend, the Misfits, the Cramps, all sorta punk but not really. A lot of the politics was BS though, look at John Lydon, PIL and the butter ad he was in not that long ago...LOL

Anyway i guess this thread has strayed way off topic, but at least it's inspired me to go back and give some of this old stuff another listen, on a non Apple playback device :thumbs up:.

in 2014 you have a combination of problems. One, two generations of people believe music is and should be free. If its only for sale, they will pirate it using the same thought process as someone who finds a dollar bill on the ground. should I leave it there in hopes the owner will come back looking for it? :D

The second problem, is U2 is now considered Geezer rock. Its not for the teenagers of 2014. its not played on their radio stations, they don't listen to it, and won't pay for it.

two generations of people believe music is and should be free.
You know, at first glance I suspect many, possibly most, will agree with that. But thinking about it, I don't actually believe it. I don't think younger people actually think that music should be free. But anyone with any internet savvy knows that they can get tons of music for free and therefore, the notion of actually paying for music or books or whatever when you can get it for nothing simply won't compute. But there is indeed a subtle difference, quite easily determined. Few think food or houses should be free but if they could get it for free, they would.

Few think food or houses should be free but if they could get it for free, they would.

I was quoting kenny aronoff (John Mellencamp's drummer) who I saw speak this summer at Gearfest. He said the entire industry has changed and you have to change with it. (his words).

As to your point about few think food or houses should be free. I would say that most don't believe that, but few? unfortunately there is a growing population that believes the world owes them a comfortable living for doing nothing more than having a heartbeat. But dont' get me started on that.. :D:D

As to your point about few think food or houses should be free. I would say that most don't believe that, but few? unfortunately there is a growing population that believes the world owes them a comfortable living for doing nothing more than having a heartbeat. But dont' get me started on that.. :D:D
There is a difference though. I agree that there are plenty of people that believe that housing should be provided for them and that somehow they are owed a comfortable living. That, interestingly, seems to be more common in countries that have been strong on social welfare. It's almost as though many in those populations have seen a welfare state and the notion of not having one is anathema. But those in that mindset rarely truly believe everyone should be given a house and allowed to live in it utterly free. My emphasis is on the word "should."

Back in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, people would tape songs off the radio or borrow a mate's album and tape it and that wasn't down to a sense of entitlement, but true love of the music. The "Home taping is killing music" movement was really stupid for the most part because those in the industry overlooked the fact that often, many home tapers would eventually buy the records, especially once they realized how fragile cassette tape was !

I was quoting kenny aronoff (John Mellencamp's drummer) who I saw speak this summer at Gearfest. He said the entire industry has changed and you have to change with it. (his words).
It's interesting how those that are actually successful with music can adapt and embrace the changing climate. The wannabes are the ones that scream and throw fits about the gradual devaluing of music.

There is a difference though. I agree that there are plenty of people that believe that housing should be provided for them and that somehow they are owed a comfortable living. That, interestingly, seems to be more common in countries that have been strong on social welfare. It's almost as though many in those populations have seen a welfare state and the notion of not having one is anathema. But those in that mindset rarely truly believe everyone should be given a house and allowed to live in it utterly free. My emphasis is on the word "should."

Back in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, people would tape songs off the radio or borrow a mate's album and tape it and that wasn't down to a sense of entitlement, but true love of the music. The "Home taping is killing music" movement was really stupid for the most part because those in the industry overlooked the fact that often, many home tapers would eventually buy the records, especially once they realized how fragile cassette tape was !

I remember seeing a film about the USSR in the early 1980s. people had crappy Soviet boom boxes and would walk up to each other in parks. they would put the boom boxes together where one would press play, the other record. and that was how they transferred western songs inside the USSR. My wife (before I met her ) use to work for a a Russian mafioso making black market tapes in Kiev in the late 1980s. Her job was to keep feeding the cassette tapes in and out of the the recorder. This was a really small operation. She got paid about $10 a month. :thumbs up:

---------- Update ----------

It's interesting how those that are actually successful with music can adapt and embrace the changing climate. The wannabes are the ones that scream and throw fits about the gradual devaluing of music.

I agree.

It's sort of hard for me to buy into any side of the argument on politics, economics and work ethic, but for a good proportion of my adult life, i have lived at a pretty high level of self sufficiency, growing a lot of my own food, tending poultry and small livestock, producing a good deal of my own energy etc. I would say 75% if you had to put a number to it. Not really an urban lifestyle. Always been reliant on 'the commercial world' for petrochemicals, electronics and gross luxuries though.

I have done a lot of paid work too, so i am far from a layabout, but i've got nothing against people who can and choose to live that way - if they have the means and smarts all power to them - it's a pretty dog eat dog world out there, and i don't feel they are leaning on me in any way through their choice to be 'lazy'. I believe everything should be 'free' - but everything worthwhile takes effort, ability and a bit of intelligence - and unfortunately for idealism the world just don't work that way.

Personally i can see both sides of the coin in terms of the 'decline' of the music industry. These guys are producing product to sell, and it must be hard to see it all crumble and see people stealing your product. The point made that the professionals seem to do less whinging about it and more thinking about ways to adapt and strategies to make a buck rings true to me, like any business you have to adapt to and obey the market demands, they have been smart enough to get where they are and will probably continue making good decisions.
I can understand younger people expecting music to be free too - if you had never known any different why would you not. None of my peers as a kid or teenager ever seemed to worry about copying our vinyl onto cassettes to share with our friends - sure we knew it was wrong, but i don't think it's a generational thing.

Personally i don't think the days of the commercial music industry are over, there are fewer big players, but the few left are way bigger than anything that preceded them (Apple, for one) And the small players have all been far more dispersed amongst the masses of niche genres of music that have popped up in the last 10-20 years. There is still masses of money to be made, you'll probably have to be more ruthless than ever to get at it, but i don't aspire to that anyway. Look at any industry still going today and compare it to 20 years ago, most i know have changed a lot, but still seem to be producing effectively the same outputs. End of essay.

Back