help: newbie needs settings for zoom h4n

jnosacka

Friend is renting h4n for her wedding and wants me to record service. I'll have lavolier mic and handheld mic as well. I'm hoping to have track of music from internal mic, groom on lavolier, and minister on handheld. 3 or 4 tracks. Can I get there from here? Is there a better forum for this question?

Wedding is 7/26. I'll be out of town for photo shoot this weekend so I have zero time to learn. Any help is appreciated.

Hey Dave, if RTFM means "read the effin manual", then KMA. I already have been reading the manual and I am still having trouble. Why waste your time with something so unproductive as that comment. Do you feel better for belittling someone not as smart as you? I explained my situation, if you don't want to help, you don't have to disrespect newbies like me.

A couple questions....(I have this exact unit)

What do you mean by "I'm hoping to have track of music from internal mic"

If I were doing this I would probably seriously consider just mic'ing the PA speaker.

Hey Dave, if RTFM means "read the effin manual", then KMA. I already have been reading the manual and I am still having trouble. Why waste your time with something so unproductive as that comment. Do you feel better for belittling someone not as smart as you? I explained my situation, if you don't want to help, you don't have to disrespect newbies like me.

YES!!!!!!!

:laughings:

Oh, the irony. That was beautiful. In the Newbies forum, just for the icing on the cake. Just awesome! :D

Hi Dave. How you doing? That was rather TERSE, don't ya think? :)

(Pot=kettle....Foot=mouth, etc....etc....etc.....) :D

A couple questions....(I have this exact unit)

What do you mean by "I'm hoping to have track of music from internal mic"

If I were doing this I would probably seriously consider just mic'ing the PA speaker.

I agree with Beerhunter. if there is a house PA just take a feed off of it. I feel for you. I hate weddings, everyone is always in such a relaxed mood. Especially the wedding planner/director. :rolleyes:had one (real manly type too) wanting to whip my ass because we (sound company and band) showed up early with a 8 piece band and set up and GOD forbid moved 2 of his tables. Good luck.:facepalm:

The bride doesn't get a mic....?

She's not going to be happy...

Why is the service to be recorded? What is the end game for this recording? Knowing that helps...

I explained my situation, .

Well, no, you didn't actually. You didn't mention that you have been reading the manual. You haven't said what parts of the manual instructions you didn't understand.
Like arcaxis says, if you can't get your hands on the unit to do a little dry run, you're probalby not going to get it done well the day of the wedding.

I have two cameras with shotgun mic each. Bride doesn't want to be mic'd so minister will have handheld for himself and her. There is no PA system at the venue. I am as thinking I would position the h4n to capture music and ambient on one track. I was hoping to get another track from groom and one from the hand held. I'm now understanding that I will get one track from the lapel and handheld but can split them later. I have to start in 4ch mode. One camera will be in back catching wide angle video and it will have a shotgun. I will be managing camera in front and will train it's shotgun mic on bride. So thanks for all who contributed. Sorry to those who are offended by me asking questions that don't meet your standards. I didn't even know the diff between a rtrack and a channel yesterday and am learning as fast as I can. I too wish I had the units to learn on...let's assume i'm doing the best that I can. without the units, i'm making notes to supplement the manual I have.

Sorry to those who are offended by me asking questions that don't meet your standards.
You have nothing to apologize for. The ironic thing is that the 2 people that are giving you the hardest time are the two biggest whiners about how we should supposedly treat Newbies. What's even funnier is that I don't think that one of them (Mike) is aware that the other one (Dave) attacked him in another thread for the same reason a few days ago. So, basically, this is one of the most ironic, hypocritical, and redeeming threads for me in along time. You couldn't wipe this grin off my face with a blow torch. :D <<<<Yes that one right there.

If you don't know the gear then the last thing you want to do is complicate things.

So the minister has a mic? What for, just to record his and the brides audio to the H4N??

Place the H4N on a short tripod directly in front of where they are taking the vows and use the built-in condensers and aim it right at them. They are all going to be standing within a small area together. You will hear the ambient music and it will pick up the voices.....PLUS it is going to look ridiculous holding up a mic with no sound coming out of a PA (IMO)

That's good advice beerhunter, thanks. So h4n where it can record minister and others. I can then put handheld on stand in front of vocalist

On the bright side, the OP will have experience when it comes time to record the divorce.

:laughings:

Park that Zoom right in the brides' cleavage.

It should pick up everything from there.

I have two cameras with shotgun mic each. Bride doesn't want to be mic'd so minister will have handheld for himself and her. There is no PA system at the venue. I am as thinking I would position the h4n to capture music and ambient on one track. I was hoping to get another track from groom and one from the hand held. I'm now understanding that I will get one track from the lapel and handheld but can split them later. I have to start in 4ch mode. One camera will be in back catching wide angle video and it will have a shotgun. I will be managing camera in front and will train it's shotgun mic on bride. So thanks for all who contributed. Sorry to those who are offended by me asking questions that don't meet your standards. I didn't even know the diff between a rtrack and a channel yesterday and am learning as fast as I can. I too wish I had the units to learn on...let's assume i'm doing the best that I can. without the units, i'm making notes to supplement the manual I have.

No need to apologize. Keep asking questions, I am no expert but I think that is the spirit of this forum. if everyone was an exspurt why be here? Good luck:thumbs up:

Back