ART pre amps?

ARTs do rock as bass DIs. It's nice if you like the color it has, but you won't like it if you want pristine cleanliness and accuracy. It doesn't strike me as being at all crisp, the top end seems pretty rounded to me. I don't like acoustic guitar much through it because of that (I like the crips highs on acoustic). It works alright on my vocals too (esp. singing into the top of the condenser, perpendicular to the diaphragm-- sort of a pseudo-vintage sound).

Lots of folks say they're noisy-- but I don't notice noise on mine until I get into the 40dB range. Do they have Behringer-style quality control issues? (B preamps seem to vary tremendously in quality.)

I agree that the art mp takes some of the crispness out of the highs. I thought that was what a warm tube sound was suppose to do? It does have its own color... and probably a person would not use it on every single one of his recordings. But it has a nice tone that I like..... almost like a sustain. I've not had any noise problems with it. And the user has to decide whether the like the sound of input hot and output lower..... or input low and output hot.... or any combination of the two...... because they do make a difference.

i personally like the DBX mini-pre vacuum tube pre-amp ($99). then again, i dont know jack shit about stuff like this, i just buy them.

Heck I recall the Blue tube being twice the price of the MP.

Bluetube 150.00

MP 79.00

You are right though the tube mp sucks in every way compared to the blue tube. Even for direct in Bass. (sorry Ed)

I have an Art Pro Channel that sits in my mic pre rack along with Neve and Sytek preamps. It is not always the 1st choice but I certainly have found it to be quite capable and to deliver the goods when asked.

Very clean crisp sound. One of the reasons we have multiple preamps is to get various sounds from no color to extreme coloration of the sound.

David Artis

i have a tube mp and presonus blue tube and i did an a/b/c comparison with those and the pre's in my mackie board to decide which to use for vocals. i recorded an audio technica condenser through each to my akai dps16.

i tried using the "drive" control on the blue tube which is just like the drive control on a guitar amp. it made the sound very harsh and brittle depending on the amount used so i decided to leave it turned all the way off.

mackie = clean clear and quiet

presonus = same but a little warmer

tube mp = same but warmer still

the differences were SLIGHT and by warm of course i mean less detail in the high end. i dont think the differences would make much difference in a mix.

i decided to use the tube mp for my keyboard sound module and its a GREAT fit! all the sounds are now very pleasant.

the presonus im using for bass cab and guitar cab mics. so far so good!

i admit im using the mackies for vocals and drums because a lot of pros swear by them and i like detail in these sounds. if you like warmth in your vocals i think the tube cheapies stack up pretty well.

If you look over in the other equipment threads there is an akai thread that has links to very good akai boards out there. I have the dps16 too. and Ive recently purchased a yamaha MLA7 8 channel mic pre.which is great for the clear clean recording. I have a bluetube with a quieter tube inside, and Im purchasing a Behringer vx2000 pre that is thier version of a focusrite voice master. after that Im going to stop buying pres. Right now the blue tube sounds fine on vocals if you use the tube drive tasefully, that the trick to it. the real expensive tube pres tend to just give you a touch of that sound.

i don't care for the art pre-amps....for $200 to $300 i would suggest a joe meek....thats my personal preferance though

At this price range,solid state might be the way to go.The M-Audio Audio Buddy ($80) is a two channel solid state preamp/direct box that is pretty clean and transparent.I have both an Audio Buddy and an Art Toob MP and to me there is no comparison.I haven't used the Toob MP in over a year for recording but the Buddy gets used every time I track.

i recommend the tube mp for keyboard between the sound module and mixer. for vocals it could be useful if you want less high end detail. it has gotten good reviews from working pros so it cant be all bad.

Wow! This thread lapped itself! We've actually started over at the beginning. This is the point where I say "The MP is a tewb/toob POS with a lotta noise and distortion, which is fine if you like that sorta thing. If you're using it on multiple tracks, it does tend to pile up, like other things in nature...."

Randy and I trade quips about tewb/toob. Then, all the defenders get to chime in again. You're entering a dimension of sight and sound.
-kent

It all comes down to this...

What ever you like, and what ever you feel will fit the mix right. Some say Art on a few songs, some say PreSonus on other songs, etc.

Basically I suggest you Buy all the preamps you can at one time, then A/B the hell out of them. The one's that you don't like so much just return them with in the grace period...

Attachments

• art dual mp\'s.jpg
    art dual mp\'s.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 85
Just joined the Forum, and I'm late to the thread, but....had an ART Tube PAC for a while, as my tube pre/compressor. First replaced the compressor with an RNC, and just now replaced the mic pre with a Grace 101.

Not a fair fight. :-)

I know, I know...not a fair comparison. $750 for my new set-up versus around $200 for my old ART...just starting out, I thought that the Tube PAC was an inexpensive (read: cheap) way to get some things done. After reading this forum, I do realize that there are other options. Didn't know as much before (thanks, guys). But, as many of you say, YMMV. I'm sure that for some people, in some setups, ART products can work well. It worked fine for me for a while...it was just time for me to spend a few more beans to upgrade - which I think I did.

Bebop nailed it. As we learn to hear and recognize what various links in the chain do to our signals, we outgrow the entry level stuff and upgrade to better gear. Or not. YMMV.

PS-it ain't broke. I was. That's why I bought ART. But as Zimmy says, things have changed.
-kent

Kent,they ain't broke.You just got to learn to adjust the light bulb to dial in the desired amount of tewb(your way!) warmth to even out the harsh (cold) digital sound.Wheres Bear?I think he can explain better how digital sounds harsh and sterile and that by running your signal through a starved plate toob(my way)circuit it will give it the warm analog sound.I keep my MP's tewb on high so it stays nice and warm so if I'm having a pop tart I can rest it on the unit and have a nice little snack.Something warm always does it for me on those cold,harsh digital mornings.

I have the original Tube MP and I haven't had such good luck with it. I never got to the point where I could objectively judge the sound because the background noise is so bad that I can't really even use it. And this is after it's been sent in for service...
If I were to do it again I would have went solid state, without question. I believe that what most people think of as the "tube sound" is just a rolled off top end- easy enough to do with EQ if that's what you're really after.

Back