Which mics should I use to record acoustic guitar?

BlackSquire

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you would recommend for me recording acoustic guitar wise.
The mics I have are:
x1 Rode M3 (Small condenser)
x1 At4040 (Large condenser)
x1 SM57
x1 SM58

I was thinking I would try a 'X/Y' set up with the Rode and At4040 but is this recommended since they are not a pair of microphones?
Should I just record mono and double up?

Thanks for your feedback!

I have an AT4040 and two pairs of SDCs (Naiants and AKG Perception 170s -(don't recommend the Perception 170s)).

I've had decent results mixing the AT4040 with an SDC. I put the 4040 closer to the bridge and the SDC closer to the 12th fret. The best results I've had from recording an acoustic guitar are from simply using the Naiants equidistant from the bridge and 12th fret.

I'd go with IBB's suggestion. Maybe just try the M3 near and above the 12th fret and see how you like, then (if you want a bit fuller sound) put the 4040 on the sound hole side of the bridge.

My favourite technique is a pair of SDCs in the positions described but the two condensers should be not bad.

I've played with X/Y and never liked the results...the spacing (and ability to get a bit closer) works better for me but (as they say) YMMV.

The mics I have are:
x1 Rode M3 (Small condenser)
x1 At4040 (Large condenser)
x1 SM57
x1 SM58

I was thinking I would try a 'X/Y' set up with the Rode and At4040 but is this recommended since they are not a pair of microphones?
Should I just record mono and double up?
Why don't you experiment using all of them in various combos ?
Sometimes, I wonder to what extent the mics and configurations really make a difference to the actual sound of an acoustic guitar. Particularly as good recordings exist using all kinds of mics and configurations.......

What Grim said! When recording an acoustic, 60% of the sound is the guitar itself, 25% the room and 15% the mics (I just made up those numbers). In other words, you need a good-sounding guitar first, a decent recording space second. Then worry about mic combos and placements.

What Grim said! When recording an acoustic, 60% of the sound is the guitar itself, 25% the room and 15% the mics (I just made up those numbers). In other words, you need a good-sounding guitar first, a decent recording space second. Then worry about mic combos and placements.

I ALMOST agree with this but would like to add a couple of caveats.

First, my preferred miking technique is to be close enough that the room doesn't come into it nearly as much as it would on vocals or instruments miked from a greater distance. Clearly this is only a personal preference--but my positioning is a fairly common one and knocks the priority of the room acoustic a bit farther down the list. The quality of the guitar (and guitarist obviously) remains paramount though.

Second, a discussion about specific mics is, I agree not all that important once you hit a certain quality threshold. However, from what I've seen over the years, there are a couple of large, general differences in how people want their acoustic guitar to sound. Some like a general warm sound that minimises things like finger squeak and so on. Dynamics of whatever sort may suit best for this style. Others...including mean...like a crisp, detailed sound. For us, it takes a condenser of some sort--an SDC by preference in my case.

Hey guys,

Hey BlackSquire,

try everything and listen yourself!
Different rooms, different mics, different placements make huge differences.
And different tunes and arrangements call for different approaches.
So, learn what your gear does and when to use what for the best results!

my preferred miking technique is to be close enough that the room doesn't come into it.......

this is only a personal preference.....

by preference in my case.
While I was reading what mjbphotos said, I was thinking that it kind of comes down to preference, preference for the kind of sound you want {and whether the guitarist can deliver it}.

I would choose the RODE. I have RODE NT1A and those sound really great for guitar so the M3 should be better i think.

Well the NT1-A is Large Diaphragm The M3's are Small Diaphragm;

I'd suggest the M3's if you had a pair though

Er, no.

The M3 is actuall a half inch capsule in a case that makes it look at bit like an LDC but it isn't. It's a good mic but it's not one of Rode's best. However, depending on the circumstances it has the advantage of have an internal battery so you can use it without phantom.

Edited to add: I didn't see the previous post when I did this reply--with my settings it spilled onto the next page. Actually I prefer many SDCs to LDCs for acoustic--but the M3 isn't one of my preferred ones.

If a song is solely acoustic guitar and vocals - do you believe it can be recorded efficiently with one mic on the guitar - allowing the guitar to have a deep sound, equal presence in both ears etc?

Currently the headache I'm suffering as well.

If a song is solely acoustic guitar and vocals - do you believe it can be recorded efficiently with one mic on the guitar - allowing the guitar to have a deep sound, equal presence in both ears etc?

Currently the headache I'm suffering as well.

Many people single mic an acoustic by preference--it's down to personal preference. The conventional advice is to put the mic above the 12th fret--I tend to go slightly closer to the sound hole (but very definitely do NOT point at the sound hole.

Presence in both ears will be down to how you pan the acoustic track in your mix. One trick you might play with is to add a sparing amount of stereo reverb to the mono guitar track--guitar panned centrally and reverb to the left and right.

...but just play with it and see what you like.

If a song is solely acoustic guitar and vocals - do you believe it can be recorded efficiently with one mic on the guitar - allowing the guitar to have a deep sound, equal presence in both ears
Yes.
Looking at photos of recording sessions spanning 6 decades, there are tons that show just one mic on the guitar.

most of the time I only use 1 mic on acoustic guitars, and often when using 2 I use 2 so that the combind sound is a mono blend of the 2 mics, and i have used 2 to get a full sound, a lot depends on the guitar, player and room. Only very rare do i use stereo acoustic guitar.

Alan

Use the 4040 and if you're using a stereo technique, use the Rode with it in some sort of spaced configuration. I use a pretty unconventional stereo spacing for my recordings. If the acoustic is the main instrument, try a stereo recording, otherwise, a mono recording and doubling may work better. Sometimes I will implement both. During a chorus, add a mono recorded, doubled guitar part. You won't get anything good out of the Shure mics.

One thing I used to do and still do once in awhile, is have one mic going to the player headphones and move it around while he/she is playing. That way you can get an idea what the mic is picking up before you listen in the studio. Repeat for the other mic if you're doing a stereo spacing.

I also add quite a bit of a small, natural room reverb to give it some space and width.

Hope this helps. You can listen my acoustic recordings on the link below.

adaM barbeR
youtube.com/boyceavenue
adambarber.net

Many people single mic an acoustic by preference--it's down to personal preference. The conventional advice is to put the mic above the 12th fret--I tend to go slightly closer to the sound hole (but very definitely do NOT point at the sound hole.

Presence in both ears will be down to how you pan the acoustic track in your mix. One trick you might play with is to add a sparing amount of stereo reverb to the mono guitar track--guitar panned centrally and reverb to the left and right.

...but just play with it and see what you like.

The difficulty I am having is I only have the capacity to record 2 mics at once and like to track vocals and guitar at the same time. I also usually have my vocals central or slightly left so that and the guitar fight for space.

I've been using my LDC pointed on it's side, towards the neck/soundhole meet, but I'm convinced my mixes are missing something and I don't know what it is. Could I pick your brains? https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ciante-masters-also-enclosed-download-365228/ - I believe it could be a reverb issue - I don't think it's the actual recording of the guitar.

Yes.
Looking at photos of recording sessions spanning 6 decades, there are tons that show just one mic on the guitar.

Should added "using one mic where there is only acoustic guitar and vocals" however I'd still believe it'd be the same answer.

I've got a few mics myself - much like OP - however I've found only the LDC are capturing this situation best. Also have x2 SDC (not matched)

Back